Trados 06 problem: error messages / corrupt segment? Search by segment no.?
Thread poster: Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Emma Gledhill
Switzerland
Local time: 19:33
German to English
+ ...
Nov 7, 2006

I've been using Trados for nearly 9 years so I know my way about pretty well but a problem has me stumped.

Just been sent a txt export file which I have tried to import into the appropriate TM but the import fails, giving me an "Inconsistent data" error message.

In order to try and remedy that error, I tried reorganising the TM, but the reorg kept hanging at a particular segment number. Reorganisation having failed, I tried to export the entire TM in order to reimport i
... See more
I've been using Trados for nearly 9 years so I know my way about pretty well but a problem has me stumped.

Just been sent a txt export file which I have tried to import into the appropriate TM but the import fails, giving me an "Inconsistent data" error message.

In order to try and remedy that error, I tried reorganising the TM, but the reorg kept hanging at a particular segment number. Reorganisation having failed, I tried to export the entire TM in order to reimport it into a new TM. This export also failed, returning a "Source segment is empty" error.

OK, now I'm puzzled because "Source segment is empty" is a translation error rather than an import/export error IYSWIM. So it would appear that a segment (segment number known) has got into the TM with an empty source.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there any way the supplied exported txt file could have introduced this segment (i.e. go back to the client)

2. If not, is there any way of searching (Maintenance?) for a particular segment number in the TM?

3. Failing that, is there a way of searching (again Maintenance?) for an empty source string so I can delete the corrupt segment?

4. Or is the TM (and hence am I) totally and completely boogered?

Any help would be very welcome!!

TIA
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:33
English to Dutch
+ ...
creation date Nov 7, 2006

1. Is there any way the supplied exported txt file could have introduced this segment?

Let's assume so. I suppose your TM worked just fine until then.

2. If not, is there any way of searching (Maintenance?) for a particular segment number in the TM?

3. Failing that, is there a way of searching (again Maintenance?) for an empty source string so I can delete the corrupt segment?

Segment numbers are, I think, not fixed. I don't see how you could search for them.
Empty souce? Maybe; it's like sending the maintenance crew in to look for "nothing, guys, just look for nothing."

Maybe there's a good way to define "nothing".

Anyway: I'd try by creation date; the date you imported at least some of the outsourcer txtfile; maybe (so many maybes here) that'll turn up the culprit. (I'd delete the entire lot, instantly.)

Victor Foster
Victor Foster
United States
Local time: 12:33
French to English
+ ...
Empty segment error Nov 8, 2006

OK, now I'm puzzled because "Source segment is empty" is a translation error rather than an import/export error IYSWIM. So it would appear that a segment (segment number known) has got into the TM with an empty source.

I'm not sure about the other error message but perhaps this would work if you want to search for an empty source language segment string. By way of example, let's say your source language is US English. Enter this string in the Find dialogue box: "^p"
... See more

I'm not sure about the other error message but perhaps this would work if you want to search for an empty source language segment string. By way of example, let's say your source language is US English. Enter this string in the Find dialogue box: "^p"

This should return any segments where no text immediately follows the source language segment tag. I hope this helps. However, it seems to me that the file should have imported and just threw out the offending segment as invalid. But sometimes weird things happen.

[Edited at 2006-11-08 21:01]

[Edited at 2006-11-08 21:02]

Actually for some reason the entire string I suggested might work failed to appear. But on second thought all you may need to do is a search using FInd like this: >^p

[Edited at 2006-11-09 18:41]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 06 problem: error messages / corrupt segment? Search by segment no.?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »