Tageditor 7.5.0.756 multiplies spaces -help!!
Thread poster: Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina
Nicole Maina  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 05:41
German to Italian
+ ...
Oct 26, 2006

I am translating an excel sheet, the content is single words and numbers (represented by #) which appear on a display. between most numbers and words there are from 2 to 10 spaces (I guess to place the sentence in the middle of the display).

now tageditor is *not* keeping those spaces as they are or as I put it in the target segment, and what is worse, it keeps multiplying them! in some segments it adds dozens or sometimes even hundreds of spaces! what is happening??

us
... See more
I am translating an excel sheet, the content is single words and numbers (represented by #) which appear on a display. between most numbers and words there are from 2 to 10 spaces (I guess to place the sentence in the middle of the display).

now tageditor is *not* keeping those spaces as they are or as I put it in the target segment, and what is worse, it keeps multiplying them! in some segments it adds dozens or sometimes even hundreds of spaces! what is happening??

useless to say, in this text I have to keep the spaces as they are, and I am not allowed to use more than 20 characters altogheter, so it's a big problem...

thank you for any suggestion!
nicole

PS: I forgot to show you an example:
**** Textnummer: 91 ****
1 ¦ *Tankreinigung*
2 ¦Sieb in Tank leeren
3 ¦ ##:##:## ##.##.##
4 ¦Chargen####.###
+--------------------

[Modificato alle 2006-10-26 10:04]
Collapse

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
a suggestion Oct 26, 2006

an example:
**** Textnummer: 91 ****
1 ¦ *Tankreinigung*
2 ¦Sieb in Tank leeren
3 ¦ ##:##:## ##.##.##
4 ¦Chargen####.###
+--------------------

I’ve had to deal with a file like that (20 char machine display) and well...

I think you should
1. take it out of excel and copy it into word
2. change the font to Courier New (even spacing)
3. there you go.

You will probably (assolutamente) need to set the segmentation to paragraph ends only.

If you need to translate a lot of messages that run over more than one screen, you may find it easier to use your SDLX.

Either way: take it out of the excel wrapper; it only adds to the trouble you are having as it is. If you insist, though: it would be nice if it were possible to insert a nonbrokenspace tag (entity) for use in excel/TagEditor; it would be easy in html; it looks like this &*nbsp*; just remove the *marks.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"...I guess to place the sentence in the middle of the display..." Oct 26, 2006

So when you translate them, they're not in the middle of those 20 characters anymore... D*n...

I would definitely take the amounts out - or "translate" them by changing the locale. And regarding the text ... maybe a short program to center that text (sigh) in excel is the only sensible solution.

PS: "short program ..." - let's say the translated text without blanks is in A. Then fill B up with the following formula

=string(" ",(20-Len(A1))/2) & A1 & string
... See more
So when you translate them, they're not in the middle of those 20 characters anymore... D*n...

I would definitely take the amounts out - or "translate" them by changing the locale. And regarding the text ... maybe a short program to center that text (sigh) in excel is the only sensible solution.

PS: "short program ..." - let's say the translated text without blanks is in A. Then fill B up with the following formula

=string(" ",(20-Len(A1))/2) & A1 & string(" ",(20-Len(A1))/2)

where 20 is the intended length of the result. Nice side effect: it will cr*p out, if your A text is longer than 20 (g).

PPS: I have unfortunately the german version under my fingers right now, so Im not exactly sure about string (len Im 100% sure). But spero che you have an idea.

[Edited at 2006-10-26 11:25]
Collapse

Nicole Maina
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
importing trados-tm into sdl-tm Oct 26, 2006

[quote]saitch wrote:

If you need to translate a lot of messages that run over more than one screen, you may find it easier to use your SDLX.

thank you very much for your suggestions!

I thought about using SDL but I am a beginner and I don't know how to import the TM from trados into the SDL-TM. could you please explain it to me briefly?

do I have to copy the text to word anyway? I'd rather leave it where it is... if possible.

thanks for everything,
nicole

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
sdlx Oct 26, 2006

Nicole Maina wrote:
I don't know how to import the TM from trados into the SDL-TM. could you please explain it to me briefly?

I don’t use SDLX much myself; I’d only use it for this kind of thing, and I haven’t been doing much of that (you’ll agree that’s a good thing.)

To import the TM: in SDLX you’ll find there’s a tab: TM/ Import a translation memory...? Should that do it? (I take it you are using SDL 2006 Freelance). You’ll need to go it alone from there... (Of course there will be others to help out) (And besides, those flash little tutorials also help)

do I have to copy the text to word anyway? I'd rather leave it where it is... if possible.

You can use excel in SDLX., but I’ve got the idea you’re only a bit afraid to touch the “original” excel file. You should know that this is not the file that is fed to the machine; mine came with a .prn extension....
Anyway, to get out of excel:
1. open and save a new worddoc. (saving it is a precaution; if your excel is huge, this helps)
2. open clipboard (again, a kind of precaution)
3. in excel move pointer above column to be copied (black little arrow); hit the copy shortcut
4. go back to your word doc and paste (this may take a long time!)
5. empty the clipboard (to unselect your excel column)

To drop this back into excel: just reverse the process.

This should be about it.

Nicole Maina
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you vitomir! Oct 26, 2006

Vitomir (Vito) Smolej wrote:

=string(" ",(20-Len(A1))/2) & A1 & string(" ",(20-Len(A1))/2)

where 20 is the intended length of the result. Nice side effect: it will cr*p out, if your A text is longer than 20 (g).

PPS: I have unfortunately the german version under my fingers right now, so Im not exactly sure about string (len Im 100% sure). But spero che you have an idea.

[Edited at 2006-10-26 11:25]

...but this sounds a bit too complicated to me, an html-illiterate

Nicole Maina
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you saitch! Oct 26, 2006

saitch wrote:

Nicole Maina wrote:
I don't know how to import the TM from trados into the SDL-TM. could you please explain it to me briefly?

I don’t use SDLX much myself; I’d only use it for this kind of thing, and I haven’t been doing much of that (you’ll agree that’s a good thing.)

To import the TM: in SDLX you’ll find there’s a tab: TM/ Import a translation memory...? Should that do it? (I take it you are using SDL 2006 Freelance). You’ll need to go it alone from there... (Of course there will be others to help out) (And besides, those flash little tutorials also help)

I was looking for it inside the SDL edit window, and couldn't find it, but now I have found it in the SDL main window, and it worked! thank you for your help!

still curious to know if it would have been possible to solve it in tageditor! anyone out there?

back to work now... bye
nicole

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:41
German to English
You're not alone Oct 26, 2006

Hi Nicole,
I've had the same problem, and it makes me CRAZY. I had to turn in the the jobs as uncleaned .ttx files, so working in SDLX wasn't an easy option (there's a limit to the number of conversions I'm willing to do for a smallish job). The spaces multiplied every time a segment was repeated.
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor 7.5.0.756 multiplies spaces -help!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »