CELC Inc
Local time: 18:54
Japanese to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2006

Windows XP Pro SP2 (Japanese)
Office 2003 (Japanese)
Trados Workbench 7.1.0.719 (English)

I have a TM of 2,671 units that I'm using for a huge, super-rush project. WB was getting a little slower as the day wore on, and now performing any Workbench operation in Word causes Workbench to eat up 100% of my system resources. I'm running a 2.21 GHz processor with 1G of RAM, so specs are not the problem (at least they never have been until just now).

I remember s
... See more
Windows XP Pro SP2 (Japanese)
Office 2003 (Japanese)
Trados Workbench 7.1.0.719 (English)

I have a TM of 2,671 units that I'm using for a huge, super-rush project. WB was getting a little slower as the day wore on, and now performing any Workbench operation in Word causes Workbench to eat up 100% of my system resources. I'm running a 2.21 GHz processor with 1G of RAM, so specs are not the problem (at least they never have been until just now).

I remember seeing in a past post that the "Run terminology check in the background" option in Workbench's Terminology Recognition can affect system resource consumption, so I toggled it off. No noticeable change ensued.

So I have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and wait for a minute or two for every operation I want to perform. This is not sustainable, as I have 60,000+ more characters of Japanese to translate this week...

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Additional information on problem Oct 18, 2006

I'm now beginning to think it's something to do with the file itself, as I have been able to use Workbench without incident on several other files.

The file in question is a simple Word file. Other than a few bulleted items, it's just simple text. So to verify that the file is the problem I pasted everything into Notepad to convert it to truly simple text. Then I repasted that into a brand new Word document, hoping that this might help.

It didn't, otherwise the title
... See more
I'm now beginning to think it's something to do with the file itself, as I have been able to use Workbench without incident on several other files.

The file in question is a simple Word file. Other than a few bulleted items, it's just simple text. So to verify that the file is the problem I pasted everything into Notepad to convert it to truly simple text. Then I repasted that into a brand new Word document, hoping that this might help.

It didn't, otherwise the title of this post would have been "Eureka!" or something...

I'm going to try saving into some format I can translate in TagEditor to see if I can at least get the segments done. Then, to reconstitute the original, I'll pre-translate from Workbench with no formatting penalty to see if this gets the job done. Hopefully this will serve as a workaround, but I'd still like to know what's wrong with WB and how to overcome whatever it is.

Again, any help would be great.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:54
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Pls try to reorganise your TM Oct 18, 2006

if this doesn´t help, export your TM to a text file, create a new TM, import that text, reorganise and try again.

It must be something with your TM file, as my Wokbench does nevere consume s much CPU time, even if working with TMs of > 800 thousand entries.

HTH
Jerzy

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
clean up Oct 18, 2006

have a look at the Oct 15 post "Word shut down with TRADOS 7"

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still confused... Oct 18, 2006

Thank you both for your advice.

I had already reorganized the TM, and it's only recently reconstituted from an exported text file anyway.

There are no Smart Tags in the document, but I turned off all the options as recommended just to be sure.

Still no luck.

So I had a colleague open the file with his computer and an entirely unrelated TM. He experienced no trouble, which pretty much eliminates the chance that it's a problem with the Word file
... See more
Thank you both for your advice.

I had already reorganized the TM, and it's only recently reconstituted from an exported text file anyway.

There are no Smart Tags in the document, but I turned off all the options as recommended just to be sure.

Still no luck.

So I had a colleague open the file with his computer and an entirely unrelated TM. He experienced no trouble, which pretty much eliminates the chance that it's a problem with the Word file per se. Of course, I doubted this from the start since I had just pasted it in as plain text anyway.

So I'm still without a clue as to what could be the problem.

But I was correct that TagEditor will serve as a workaround. If I strip the formatting by saving the original Word file as .txt, I should be able to translate it in TE, then pre-translate the original document with Workbench. I'll still have some issues b/c I have to expand a few segments and those will not be correctly pre-translated, but at that point I'll just manually paste the problem sections into the cleaned document, I guess.

That said, for future reference I really would like to know what the hell is wrong, so I'm still welcoming advice and suggestions.

Thanks
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Any antivurs / Internet security software running? Oct 18, 2006

Perhaps Norton/Symantec?

Did you upgrade your Java engine recently?
Did you download any patches recently?

Could you please check which Java and .NET Framework versions do you have?

Could you please try to reregister Trados with the Selfregister file from Trados start menu?

After all you could also try to reinstall Trados.
To do so deinstall it, rename all registry keys corelated with Trados to _Trados or so and then restart the PC,
... See more
Perhaps Norton/Symantec?

Did you upgrade your Java engine recently?
Did you download any patches recently?

Could you please check which Java and .NET Framework versions do you have?

Could you please try to reregister Trados with the Selfregister file from Trados start menu?

After all you could also try to reinstall Trados.
To do so deinstall it, rename all registry keys corelated with Trados to _Trados or so and then restart the PC, reinstall Trados. Maybe that helps.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thinking about reinstalling Oct 19, 2006

I do have Norton Antivirus 2005 running. Come to think of it, Norton has been giving me some trouble lately (I can't open the settings dialog), but since nothing else seems to be affected I was planning to reinstall it after this project is over.

I have not downloaded any patches recently, nor have I upgraded the Java engine.

I'm running Java SE 1.4.2_08 and .NET 2.0 (Japanese) with security update KB917283 applied.

I plan to re-register Trados later ton
... See more
I do have Norton Antivirus 2005 running. Come to think of it, Norton has been giving me some trouble lately (I can't open the settings dialog), but since nothing else seems to be affected I was planning to reinstall it after this project is over.

I have not downloaded any patches recently, nor have I upgraded the Java engine.

I'm running Java SE 1.4.2_08 and .NET 2.0 (Japanese) with security update KB917283 applied.

I plan to re-register Trados later tonight or tomorrow morning after I get through today's work. I'll post an update then.

If none of this works I'll probably reinstall Trados as you recommended. I was thinking that might be the easiest thing anyway, but I just don't want to take the time to do that right now because I can still work on other files with no problems.

Thanks for the help.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Java is OK, but AFAIK you need .NET 1.1 Oct 19, 2006

At least this is what I was told by the support.
Java is for Multiterm and Tageditor.

Norton Antivirus tends to significantly slow the whole system down. For this reason I switched to F-Sercure earlier this year, after having Sygate and Avira for some time.

When reinstalling you really need to edit registry, as only deinstalling the software leaves the entries there and possibly wrong settings. But before you delete entries, just rename them - in this way you can
... See more
At least this is what I was told by the support.
Java is for Multiterm and Tageditor.

Norton Antivirus tends to significantly slow the whole system down. For this reason I switched to F-Sercure earlier this year, after having Sygate and Avira for some time.

When reinstalling you really need to edit registry, as only deinstalling the software leaves the entries there and possibly wrong settings. But before you delete entries, just rename them - in this way you can easily restore the status quo, when something goes wrong.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstall didn't help, but I finally found a convenient workaround Oct 20, 2006

I reinstalled Trados, though without playing with the registry beause I just couldn't take the risks that implies. It didn't help at all.

But I found that with this particular file at least, the problem was quite easily solved by just breaking it into pieces. I made it into a series of one-page files which I'm translating separately. It's going pretty smoothly and I think I'm in the clear.

That said, it was only a ten-page file to begin with. Having translated other
... See more
I reinstalled Trados, though without playing with the registry beause I just couldn't take the risks that implies. It didn't help at all.

But I found that with this particular file at least, the problem was quite easily solved by just breaking it into pieces. I made it into a series of one-page files which I'm translating separately. It's going pretty smoothly and I think I'm in the clear.

That said, it was only a ten-page file to begin with. Having translated other documents of more than 100 pages and infinitely more complex format (RTF Help, etc.) with all the same settings, I was amazed to find that the length of this file had anything to do with the problem. Until I noticed this: it's got VERY long paragraphs in a couple of places--more than a page at a time. I don't know if this is just a problem with Japanese, but when I run into long paragraphs Workbench gets really upset.

Does anyone else have this problem? What could be the reason for this? Is this worth reporting to SDL as a glitch that needs attention in future releases?

Anyway, thank you all for your help.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench 7.1.0.719 consuming 100% of system resources

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »