Trados does not recognize all translation segments in TM when I automatically retranslate a file
Thread poster: AfroV
AfroV
AfroV
English to Romanian
+ ...
Aug 3, 2006

Hello everyone,

One of my clients has asked me to translate a large text using Trados. He also sent me a TM to use and update. So I imported my client’s TM in Translator’s Workbench, then I went to Tools>Translate, clicked on Add button and added the document I wanted to retranslate automatically. When the automatic translation finished, I realized that only some segments had been translated, although the translation for the other segments that remained in the source file appear
... See more
Hello everyone,

One of my clients has asked me to translate a large text using Trados. He also sent me a TM to use and update. So I imported my client’s TM in Translator’s Workbench, then I went to Tools>Translate, clicked on Add button and added the document I wanted to retranslate automatically. When the automatic translation finished, I realized that only some segments had been translated, although the translation for the other segments that remained in the source file appears in the TM the client sent me. Does anyone have any idea where I was wrong? What should I do so that I can automatically retranslate all sentences whose translation is in the TM?

Thanks in advance!

Afro

I use Trados 6.5 Freelance
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You have done evertyhing right Aug 3, 2006

And the segments that remained untranslated were not 100% matches.
Trados does only (per default at least - and I would´t change this settings under no circumstances) translate segments, which are 100% matches.
Sometimes a simple formatting change may occur, which causes the segment not to be 100% match, sometimes this is a piece of interpunction, sometimes a typo and quite often the segment is really different.

You can now open the text in the corresponding editor and
... See more
And the segments that remained untranslated were not 100% matches.
Trados does only (per default at least - and I would´t change this settings under no circumstances) translate segments, which are 100% matches.
Sometimes a simple formatting change may occur, which causes the segment not to be 100% match, sometimes this is a piece of interpunction, sometimes a typo and quite often the segment is really different.

You can now open the text in the corresponding editor and start translating. Then you will see what kind of penalties were set by Trados for the segments, that seem to be in customers TM.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados does not recognize all translation segments in TM when I automatically retranslate a file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »