DwgTextTranslator with trados
Thread poster: smtranslatorguy
Mar 18

Hello everyone
as always, I apologize if I ended up posting in the wrong section.
I regularly translate DWG files, and looking up on the internet I red about this DwgTextTranslator which supposedly supports Trados (which is the sw I use).
I just wanted to generally ask if someone who's been using this could care to explain a bit how it works, maybe add a couple screenshots and such. It seems to me that it allows you to work directly on the DWG file. My main concern is the outpu
... See more
Hello everyone
as always, I apologize if I ended up posting in the wrong section.
I regularly translate DWG files, and looking up on the internet I red about this DwgTextTranslator which supposedly supports Trados (which is the sw I use).
I just wanted to generally ask if someone who's been using this could care to explain a bit how it works, maybe add a couple screenshots and such. It seems to me that it allows you to work directly on the DWG file. My main concern is the output. Do I get a translated DWG? Do I get a .word/.txt output file that I need to convert back?
I've looked up tutorials online, but I've only managed to find WordFast-based tutorials. Currently planning on downloading the demo version and just try it out, but I thought I could find someone on here who's been in my situation before me and could give me some tips.
Thanks to everyone who'll read this.
Collapse

Glyn Lloyd-Jones
Glyn Lloyd-Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
Member (2015)
Italian to English
Looks interesting Mar 18

I haven't used it, but it sounds interesting so I tried to find out more about it.

I found useful information here, including a tutorial video: DwgTextTranslator

It seems to be an Autodesk application that exports the text from an AutoCAD drawing into an Excel file for translation in any CAT tool. The application ca
... See more
I haven't used it, but it sounds interesting so I tried to find out more about it.

It seems to be an Autodesk application that exports the text from an AutoCAD drawing into an Excel file for translation in any CAT tool. The application can then import the translated Excel file back into the drawing.
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:30
English to Russian
Price Mar 18

I only used TranslateCAD (pretty low cost software). However "Autodesk" sounds expensive... Any idea on how much is it?

Jorge Payan

smtranslatorguy
smtranslatorguy
Italy
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replying guys Mar 18

Glyn Lloyd-Jones wrote:

It seems to be an Autodesk application that exports the text from an AutoCAD drawing into an Excel file for translation in any CAT tool. The application can then import the translated Excel file back into the drawing.

I've seen this tutorial as well but the guy's working with wordfast, I guess it'll be the same with studio. Anyway I'll download the demo tomorrow and start f-ing around with it if I manage to find the time, I'll report back.
@Stepan Konev no idea how much it is sorry, company pays for it

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DwgTextTranslator with trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »