Thread poster: Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Latvia
Local time: 12:26
Japanese to Latvian
+ ...
Sep 27, 2010

Today I received a scanned PDF file in japanese language which I have to translate. I tried to convert it into word with ABBYY FineReader, but it seems that this program doesn't support asian languages. I have the latest version 9.0 of FineReader.. Should I really search for another program for japanese source files?

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:26
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Readiris Sep 27, 2010

I think, Readiris will do it:

http://www.irislink.com/c2-1684-189/Readiris-12-for-Windows.aspx

Christiane Feldmann-Leben
Christiane Feldmann-Leben  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:26
Member (2009)
Japanese to German
+ ...
FineReader 9 Professional is fine! Sep 27, 2010

I'm using Abby Fine Reader 9 for at least 2 or 3 years now for Japanese and I am very satisfied with the outcome. I don't know how the different buttons are called in english (i'm using german), but there is a possibility of choosing the language of the document and the last possibility is something like "further languages". There you should find Japanese.

If the programme doesn't recognize the document, then maybe you have a pdf-format which doesn't allow OCR, which some clients se
... See more
I'm using Abby Fine Reader 9 for at least 2 or 3 years now for Japanese and I am very satisfied with the outcome. I don't know how the different buttons are called in english (i'm using german), but there is a possibility of choosing the language of the document and the last possibility is something like "further languages". There you should find Japanese.

If the programme doesn't recognize the document, then maybe you have a pdf-format which doesn't allow OCR, which some clients send without knowing what trouble they cause. Then no programme will help. The only way I know (if the client isn't willing to send another pdf-format), to print everything out and scan it manually. Then OCR is possible again.

Good luck with your document.
Christiane
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not the latest Sep 28, 2010

The latest version of ABBYY FineReader is 10 actually. AFAIK, CJK support comes out of the box. As for 9, look if Japanese is available for download.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try to circumvent Sep 28, 2010

Christiane Feldmann-Leben wrote:

If the programme doesn't recognize the document, then maybe you have a pdf-format which doesn't allow OCR, which some clients send without knowing what trouble they cause. Then no programme will help.

Not really. There are programs that remove protections from PDFs, just search in Google.

The only way I know (if the client isn't willing to send another pdf-format), to print everything out and scan it manually. Then OCR is possible again.

Alternatively, you can try printing your PDF out to a new PDF using programs such as pdfcreator.

Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Latvia
Japanese to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
japanese is NOT aivailable Sep 28, 2010

Thank you all for suggestions!

However, I can not set Japanese as the language of the document because it is simply not in the list. I tried to change language preferences re-installing the program, but realized that it is not possible. None of the Asian languages are in this list. I don't understand...

Maybe you can suggest a similar program which will definitely support Asian languages?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ABBYY FineReader in japanese

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »