Can someone tell me if this is a scam or not?
Thread poster: Isabel Barbosa
Isabel Barbosa
Isabel Barbosa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:23
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 1, 2013

Hello:

I have received the follwoing email from a possible client. I think this is strange in terms of Payment. Can someone help me?

"I am happy to inform you that I am pleased with your estimated amount for the Project. I have demanded Job posted must be close because I think you are reliable and I can bank on your services.

I hereby decide to offer you this pay translation job and I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with your Translations a
... See more
Hello:

I have received the follwoing email from a possible client. I think this is strange in terms of Payment. Can someone help me?

"I am happy to inform you that I am pleased with your estimated amount for the Project. I have demanded Job posted must be close because I think you are reliable and I can bank on your services.

I hereby decide to offer you this pay translation job and I will be very happy if I am not disappointed with your Translations as this is a General translation job inform of brochures as is the best I can explain the subject matters...

I have made contacts with a reliable publisher who is now included in the project to complete the job after you must have finalized and done with the translation correctly...

You have till 2nd or 3rd week of the month to get yourself prepare for the document pending it being sorted completely by our source. An initial advance Cheque payment from the UK has been made available for you and the publisher as a standby translator for this project pending the time Document for translations will be ready for you to translate...

Payment Terms:

Sorry, I do not deal in pay pal, money books or Bank accounts for a Start. A certified UK Bank Cheque {almost like Cash} Higher than your advance payment will be mailed out to you in which you will deduct €200 which is part upfront payment and forward the left funds on the Cheque to the publisher as part of their payment as well to avoid delay with our timing for the project... The upfront payment guarantee’s your participation in the project and as standby part Paid translator for you to understand the urgency in need of this project; your balance will be paid in cash or into your designated account immediately after your translation is completed...

I'd want a perfect Job and arrangement from you.

If this is well read and understood by you, Please reply back with your details as follows for the Cheque payment to be mailed out to you:

TRANSLATOR INFORMATION:

Name in full:
Full Address { P.O.Box are not applicable}:
Post code {if Available}:
Office Phone#
Cell#
Home#

I wait to read from you as soon as possible...

Regards,"

The payment terms seem strange...
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:23
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Classic overpayment scam May 1, 2013

Trash the message and forget.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:23
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Normal (non)payment terms for a scam May 1, 2013

amber10 wrote:

The payment terms seem strange...

Not strange at all. Exactly the same as a million other overpayment scams.

[Edited at 2013-05-01 16:46 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Scam for sure! May 1, 2013

There are many clues in the way it is worded, phrases that crop up time and again.

Just one thing though: they mention 'the job posted must be closed'; was this a job that was advertised on ProZ.com or some other translation jobs board? If so, you should be sure to contact the source as soon as possible so they can make sure the job is removed and the poster blocked.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Overpayment scam! May 1, 2013

Do not accept any cheque and do not deduct and/or forward any amount of money to any account! Just stop replying to their emails.

[Edited at 2013-05-01 17:30 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bargepole May 1, 2013

Total scam. Bin it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Scam, but he appears to be smart May 1, 2013

amber10 wrote:
A certified UK Bank Cheque {almost like Cash} Higher than your advance payment will be mailed out to you in which you will deduct €200 which is part upfront payment and forward the left funds on the Cheque to the publisher as part of their payment as well to avoid delay with our timing for the project...

Wow, normally they don't even tell you that they will overpay you. This bloke tells you that, so perhaps he's smart -- he's preparing you mentally for the overpayment so that you'd feel more of an obligation to go through with it, because you've agreed to it previously.

The cheque will bounce and you will never get your money back from the "publisher". Don't even reply, just quietly delete all future mails from him. If you ask him why he can't send you two cheques (one for you and one for the publisher) or why he can't pay the publisher directly, he'll come up with some or other lie to try to convince you about it, so there is no use in replying.

The big rule (I think) in doing translation business internationally is to never accept a cheque. Never. Except perhaps from very good, very regular clients from the United States.

Srini Venkataraman
Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 12:23
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Followup May 1, 2013

This scam was reported to translatorscafe.com around 9 am CST today for a specific job dated 4/25 (Job #141989 posted on 4/25/2013 at 8:43 PM) ( 2 more advertisements came on 4/27) and these 3 have been already blocked by translatorscafe.com

I reported to TC since I had recd a similar mail this morning for my language pair.

the signature of the scam is [email protected]

[Edited at 2013-05-01 21:09 GMT]... See more
This scam was reported to translatorscafe.com around 9 am CST today for a specific job dated 4/25 (Job #141989 posted on 4/25/2013 at 8:43 PM) ( 2 more advertisements came on 4/27) and these 3 have been already blocked by translatorscafe.com

I reported to TC since I had recd a similar mail this morning for my language pair.

the signature of the scam is [email protected]

[Edited at 2013-05-01 21:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-01 21:10 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
SCAM May 2, 2013

This type of Scam is almost as old as our freelance business.

I agree with Samuel, though, because this "client" tells you straight forward that s/he intends to collect money from you. They're getting smarter. But... not as smart as we arew.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Classic scam May 2, 2013

Apart from the check thing, which is already a clear indication, just notice how the "customer" writes nice things about you and how trustworthy you are. All this flattering is aimed towards disarming your reservations toward an unknown person. Sounds silly, but it often works.

Just remember: if your enemy flatters you... something is very fishy!

OK, customers are not enemies, but are the contrary part in a negotiation and are supposed to stand their groun
... See more
Apart from the check thing, which is already a clear indication, just notice how the "customer" writes nice things about you and how trustworthy you are. All this flattering is aimed towards disarming your reservations toward an unknown person. Sounds silly, but it often works.

Just remember: if your enemy flatters you... something is very fishy!

OK, customers are not enemies, but are the contrary part in a negotiation and are supposed to stand their ground. Flattering you is clearly something a potential customer would not do, especially because they don't know you.

Simply ignore and delete the message, forget about the time you have wasted already in this, and count your blessings. Don't waste any more time answering this person: they don't care a bit about what you have to say unless you are a victim of their scheme.
Collapse

Isabel Barbosa
Isabel Barbosa  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your support May 2, 2013

Thank you all for helping me clear this situation. Although I have started working as a translator one year ago, I have never faced a similar situation. But all this "check dancing" seemed pretty strange. Flattering and incorrect sentences have also made me doubt about this job.

I thank Mr. Srini Venkataraman for reporting this scammer. I will report him/her too.

I have not found this scammer in Translator's Cafe, but on a freelancing platform, so they are spreading aro
... See more
Thank you all for helping me clear this situation. Although I have started working as a translator one year ago, I have never faced a similar situation. But all this "check dancing" seemed pretty strange. Flattering and incorrect sentences have also made me doubt about this job.

I thank Mr. Srini Venkataraman for reporting this scammer. I will report him/her too.

I have not found this scammer in Translator's Cafe, but on a freelancing platform, so they are spreading around like weed. Unfortunately we cannot smoke it or eliminate it with a herbicide...

All you have a nice day!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone tell me if this is a scam or not?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »