I worked for a company who don't want to pay me and they I can't find there Blue Board
Thread poster: Secilia Njau
Secilia Njau
Secilia Njau  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:59
English to Swahili
+ ...
Feb 28, 2013

I got a call from XXX to translate one of there document into Swahili.

From the 1st email she just said there is a lot of repetition words but she didn't say if they will not pay for those repetition words.

When I was doing the translation I realized I translated more words than she mentioned.

So this is what happened I contacted XXX and asked her about the word count when I was done with the translation but she responded so slowly I decided not to send the
... See more
I got a call from XXX to translate one of there document into Swahili.

From the 1st email she just said there is a lot of repetition words but she didn't say if they will not pay for those repetition words.

When I was doing the translation I realized I translated more words than she mentioned.

So this is what happened I contacted XXX and asked her about the word count when I was done with the translation but she responded so slowly I decided not to send the project till we agreed with the word count.

She answered me later and asked me for the documents but I said I can't send it until they confirm the word count including repeated words. We had a long conversation about this and it was the day which I was supposed to send the translation back.

To meet my deadline I decided to send the document later the same day my deadline was due with the invoice.

Note I worked for this project during new year eve, new year .... I couldn't go any where for this project.

I waited for 30 days to get paid but they couldn't pay me so I decided to email them and this is what XXX told me.

Take your time read it and tell me if you were you what will you do?

Hi,

We have already gone through this before. You did not deliver according to deadline, and I rejected your delivery and notified you that you will not be paid.
Also our vendor manager contacting you several times with no respond from you. So your contact have been deleted from our system. You have been also notified of this!

So please do not contact us again not to waste both our times.

Thank you

[Edited at 2013-03-01 03:02 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:59
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You should not mention clients in the fora Feb 28, 2013

Instead you should make an entry in the Blue Board.

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Local time: 16:59
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Not as clear cut as you might think Feb 28, 2013

Your explanation, while obviously missing the relevant correspondences, does make it sound like you failed to reach a fundamental agreement with the client, and as such, it doesn't seem surprising that she cancelled the job as per her email to you. I'm sorry you spent your New Year working, but if you wanted New Year free, you should have refused the job on the grounds that you wouldn't be working over the holiday season from the get-go.

My advice would be to clarify all of these de
... See more
Your explanation, while obviously missing the relevant correspondences, does make it sound like you failed to reach a fundamental agreement with the client, and as such, it doesn't seem surprising that she cancelled the job as per her email to you. I'm sorry you spent your New Year working, but if you wanted New Year free, you should have refused the job on the grounds that you wouldn't be working over the holiday season from the get-go.

My advice would be to clarify all of these details upfront next time - take it as a lesson and move on.

And I agree - post this on the Blue Boards instead.
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:59
Hebrew to English
Not sure I agree with Sarai here Feb 28, 2013

It seems to me that you did attempt to clarify matters before proceeding with the project.

There is some ambiguity with the deadline but it also appears you sent it on the same day as the deadline if not by the right time.

What's for certain is that this company is clearly not professional, as evidenced by their extremely rude response (not to mention the terrible English therein).

It's also located in the same country as agencies I have had poor dealings
... See more
It seems to me that you did attempt to clarify matters before proceeding with the project.

There is some ambiguity with the deadline but it also appears you sent it on the same day as the deadline if not by the right time.

What's for certain is that this company is clearly not professional, as evidenced by their extremely rude response (not to mention the terrible English therein).

It's also located in the same country as agencies I have had poor dealings with in the past and which (in my opinion) ranks closely to India and China in terms of reputation and trustworthiness.

Edit your original post to omit the name of the agency (to avoid the thread being obliterated) and enter the appropriate blueboard entry.
Collapse

Vivien Green
Vivien Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
I would be angry about this. It needs to be recorded with the company name. Mar 2, 2013

Please do update the Blue Board - we all need to be aware of companies like this.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
English to Spanish
Deceptive word counts Mar 2, 2013

Secilia Njau wrote:

I waited for 30 days to get paid but they couldn't pay me so I decided to email them and this is what XXX told me.

Hi,

... I rejected your delivery and notified you that you will not be paid.

Every single time a translation agency mentions a certain word count and your own word count (which you should do before comencing work, of course) turns out significantly higher, it means only one thing: since the very beginning the agency's plan is to screw you.

Of course, they used your translation, they sent it to their client, they charged their client for it, and you did not get paid for your work. As simple as that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I worked for a company who don't want to pay me and they I can't find there Blue Board

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »