Lau Wei Tsinn  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 00:35
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2013

Dear colleagues,

Check this one out. Is it just me or does this sound dodgy to the rest of you too?

_______
Dear Lau as apart of my work , I am doing my best to find translators

who are qualified enough to be with me in my work , so after I have read your CV , and found it so interesting . I see it
will be more than Great to work with a translator as skilled as

you so do please send me your CV and your cover letter to my e-
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Check this one out. Is it just me or does this sound dodgy to the rest of you too?

_______
Dear Lau as apart of my work , I am doing my best to find translators

who are qualified enough to be with me in my work , so after I have read your CV , and found it so interesting . I see it
will be more than Great to work with a translator as skilled as

you so do please send me your CV and your cover letter to my e-
mail address [email protected] to be with me in the upcoming work Kind regards Project Manger Jasmine
_______

So this Jasmine has seen my CV. Why in the world would she need me to send her (maybe it's a "him" for all I know) my CV again. A cover letter... whatever for? There's no job description of any sort for a cover letter to be necessitated.

"more than Great to work with a translator as skilled as you". Is she serious? That sounds like con lingo to me... buttering people up to make them more pliable before the kill.

Bad language, spacing, punctuation... looks like a cut & paste job to me.

Nah... I'm not going to reply. Yet, a part of me wonders if I am too quick to jump to conclusions. Am I too mistrusting or what?

What do the rest of you think? I'm interested to hear your views.

Wei
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:35
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Steer clear of Languagemet Feb 21, 2013

Hi Wei!

You should trust your feelings on this one.
Have you tried entering 'languagemet' as a search term on this forum?
Do it, and you'll know a bit more about PM Jasmine.

b.

[Edited at 2013-02-21 16:35 GMT]

aliasonly
aliasonly  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
instinct + searching Feb 22, 2013

Trust your first instinct further supported by searching, Wei Tsinn.

Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Two red flags Feb 22, 2013

As you say, the flattery is a bit over-the-top from someone who doesn't know you and hasn't seen your work yet. And although this PM very badly wants someone who is highly skilled and qualified, she seems to be rather sloppy in her own work, judging by her email, so there's a contradiction there. Flattery and contradictions are two of my five "red flags" (bad signs that I always avoid), which I've written an article about. You might like to read it some time, hope you find it useful:

... See more
As you say, the flattery is a bit over-the-top from someone who doesn't know you and hasn't seen your work yet. And although this PM very badly wants someone who is highly skilled and qualified, she seems to be rather sloppy in her own work, judging by her email, so there's a contradiction there. Flattery and contradictions are two of my five "red flags" (bad signs that I always avoid), which I've written an article about. You might like to read it some time, hope you find it useful:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3616/
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Take a look at Feb 22, 2013

http://www.proz.com/topic/230462 and please contact the site staff to provide more details about this contact.

Thank you!

Lau Wei Tsinn
Lau Wei Tsinn  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 00:35
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm really learning from this Feb 22, 2013

I've done and learnt a few things yesterday that I haven't tried before:
- post about my doubts in this forum
- check IP address
- search in the Scams forum

Yay!!

Thanks for the article. Peter. There were quite a number of points in there that I found helpful.

Anyway, I was contacted by a ProZ staff about this and I've furnished him with the details. Hopefully, that would keep them out. But, frankly speaking, they will just appear again u
... See more
I've done and learnt a few things yesterday that I haven't tried before:
- post about my doubts in this forum
- check IP address
- search in the Scams forum

Yay!!

Thanks for the article. Peter. There were quite a number of points in there that I found helpful.

Anyway, I was contacted by a ProZ staff about this and I've furnished him with the details. Hopefully, that would keep them out. But, frankly speaking, they will just appear again under another name as long as they are not caught. I was checking out languagemet and it's listed along with a string of other names! Just how many identities do they have? I'm thankful though, with the initiative taken by the site to inform and protect the community. I think it's a great effort on their part... thanks!!

Wei
Collapse

Berenice Font
Berenice Font  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:35
Member (2010)
English to Spanish
+ ...
link to forum on this same scam Feb 22, 2013

I was contacted too.
check this:
http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/238933-careful_with_maiss_shanti_identity_thef.html

Sone-Ngole Alvin Ngole
Sone-Ngole Alvin Ngole  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
English to French
+ ...
Was contacted yesterday Mar 5, 2013

De : Jane G
À : [email protected]
Envoyé le : Lundi 4 mars 2013 20h18
Objet : job offer

Dear translator,
Hello,
We are a professional company we need freelance translator EnglishFrench translator for coming projects.If you want to enrich our database, please send your CV and Cover letterTo create with us a good jobLooking for faithful collaboration. Regards,
... See more
De : Jane G
À : [email protected]
Envoyé le : Lundi 4 mars 2013 20h18
Objet : job offer

Dear translator,
Hello,
We are a professional company we need freelance translator EnglishFrench translator for coming projects.If you want to enrich our database, please send your CV and Cover letterTo create with us a good jobLooking for faithful collaboration. Regards, Sozy

I wrote back to ask for details on the company and the reply was:

De : Sozy s
À : [email protected]>
Envoyé le : Mardi 5 mars 2013 8h36
Objet : Re: job offer

Dear sir,
hello
For more information about our country please visit: languagemet.com

Regards,
Sozy
Collapse

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 12:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
great advice in Peter's article Apr 8, 2013

Peter Shortall wrote:

Flattery and contradictions are two of my five "red flags" (bad signs that I always avoid), which I've written an article about. You might like to read it some time, hope you find it useful:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/3616/

Great article, Peter! Quite different from the usual articles about clues that an e-mail may be from a scammer -- you ask us to consult our own psychological reactions and ponder whether they are a set-up that makes us vulnerable. Very valuable insights, I urge you to publish this elsewhere.

Gratefully,
Catherine

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Did you consult the ProZ.com Scam Alert Reports? Apr 8, 2013

Lau Wei Tsinn wrote:
you so do please send me your CV and your cover letter to my e-mail address [email protected] to be with me in the upcoming work Kind regards Project Manger Jasmine

There is an entry for this "agency" in the ProZ.com Scam Alert Reports. Did you see it?

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports#December_7.2C_2012:_Requests_to_use_your_CV_still_active

The evidence against this scammer is based on the fact that they had previously sent the same attachment and also similar wording as a known scammer. They seem to have changed the way they reel you in (you mentioned no attachment, and your mail does not ask for certification).

So this Jasmine has seen my CV. Why in the world would she need me to send her ... my CV again?

You're doing a very dangerous thing -- you're trying to detect a scammer by identifying illogical aspects of his request. What would happen if you get a scammer that uses good grammar and spelling and does not make illogical requests? For unknown clients, always check the ProZ.com Scam Alert Reports:

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dubious email from "prospective client"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »