Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Feb 11, 2013

I have received the following e-mail (personal information omitted) and am sure it is a scam. Has anyone else received anything like this? (Message transcribed as is, including grammar mistakes). I believe someone is using the PayPal logo and name, possibly even without their knowledge.

[START OF MESSAGE]
[PayPal Logo]
To: [my e-mail]

Within PayPal latest security checks, we recently discovered that today there we
... See more
I have received the following e-mail (personal information omitted) and am sure it is a scam. Has anyone else received anything like this? (Message transcribed as is, including grammar mistakes). I believe someone is using the PayPal logo and name, possibly even without their knowledge.

[START OF MESSAGE]
[PayPal Logo]
To: [my e-mail]

Within PayPal latest security checks, we recently discovered that today there were 3 incorrect login attempts to your account.
For your safety, PayPal set your account status to limited. For your account status to get back to normal, you will have
to Sign In correctly at: https://www.paypal-com.Sign.In/webscr?cmd=_login-submit

Due to our latest fraud attempts, the following IP adresses were recorded:
Invalid login from:
[IP in Russia]
Invalid login from:
[IP in the United Kingdom]
Invalid login from:
[IP in Denmark]

Protect Yourself from Fraud: Don't send money to someone you don't know. Find out how to help safeguard your transactions and your personal information to avoid online fraud.

This message is mandatory, if you do not complete it in less then 24 hours, your account may get deactivate.

Copyright 1999-2013 PayPal. All rights reserved.
[END OF MESSAGE]
Collapse

Beyond Language
Beyond Language
United States
Local time: 04:28
Member (2011)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Possible Scam Feb 11, 2013

Hi

check the exact e-mail adress of the sender and compare it with e-mail recieved from Paypal for transfers etc, you will find teh differences easly.

I get this type of e-mails frequantly and always just check the e-mail adress when it says paypal-com or something similar then its not the real PayPal.

never give your account detaisl to anyone, specialy not on random e-mails, and the only thing to do is imediatly change your password on your PayPal account
... See more
Hi

check the exact e-mail adress of the sender and compare it with e-mail recieved from Paypal for transfers etc, you will find teh differences easly.

I get this type of e-mails frequantly and always just check the e-mail adress when it says paypal-com or something similar then its not the real PayPal.

never give your account detaisl to anyone, specialy not on random e-mails, and the only thing to do is imediatly change your password on your PayPal account.

Have a wodnerful and safe day.

Dorit
SVPTranslations
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:28
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Looks fishy Feb 11, 2013

Legitimate emails from PayPal will always address you by your full name at the beginning of the message.

Charles Milton Ling
Charles Milton Ling
Local time: 10:28
English to German
+ ...
OF COURSE Feb 11, 2013

it's a scam.

Sarah McDowell
Sarah McDowell  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:28
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
It is a scam Feb 11, 2013

I had the same thing happen to me and I am 99.99% sure that it is a scam.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 04:28
Romanian to English
+ ...
Scam Feb 11, 2013

whenever I have a transaction through PayPal I get a similar message; somebody must have hacked into my connection to PP, although they cannot access my account.

Lee

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
100% agreement Feb 12, 2013

I agree with all of you, this is a scam.

Don't fall for it. Stay safe!

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:28
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
Phishing "data verification" scam Feb 12, 2013

You can read about this scam at our scam alert center and at the dedicated wiki page.

Please note the difference betwe
... See more
You can read about this scam at our scam alert center and at the dedicated wiki page.

Please note the difference between https://www.paypal-com and https://www.paypal.com

This "-" instead of "." is the kind of small differences you will see in impersonating scammers.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Of course it's a scam Feb 12, 2013

Received this one too, some time ago. I don't have a Paypal account.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Scam

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »