スロベニア
Local time: 07:12
ドイツ語 から スロヴェニア語
+ ...
Dec 2, 2011

On the initiative of a colleague, posted in another thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/213403-
entire_projects_translated_for_free.html

I am opening this topic for discussion on how translators could protect themselves from "translation harversters"; from scamers, who post jobs and get the files translated by sending different parts of text to several translato
... See more
On the initiative of a colleague, posted in another thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/213403-
entire_projects_translated_for_free.html

I am opening this topic for discussion on how translators could protect themselves from "translation harversters"; from scamers, who post jobs and get the files translated by sending different parts of text to several translators under the impression of a translation test.

I suggested two options:

What if the community would apply a new rule and if the translator community would implement a standard to submit test translations with watermarks or in pdf format as a picture? At least they would have to put in some effort to get to the text. But then again, so would we by creating such documents ...

The other solution is actually an upgrade of your suggestion. What if Proz.com would provide a system that would enable the client/agency to submit test translations to translators that show interest and meet criteria. This way the translators would be better protected, because the system could allow sending only one text to several translators. It is just an idea, but I am sure that with some polishing it could be useful.

Some further ideas have already been mentioned in the other thread.
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 06:12
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Hmmmm Dec 2, 2011

Arguably it's more productive to take measures to recognise "scam" tests in the first place rather than doing them and then on top of the time you've wasted doing the translation, inventing fancy complicated ways of delivering them.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
スペイン
2005に入会
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
It goes much further than protection from scammers Dec 2, 2011

To me, this idea of delivering translation tests in a bitmapped, watermarked PDF file goes much further than just protecting ourselves from scammers.

It would also help us keep our text intact from our hands to the hands of the end customers evaluating our work. If someone along the line wants to change our piece, it will have to be retyped or OCRed with extra typing work.

Also, and most especially when we accept to do a small test for free, it makes it more difficult f
... See more
To me, this idea of delivering translation tests in a bitmapped, watermarked PDF file goes much further than just protecting ourselves from scammers.

It would also help us keep our text intact from our hands to the hands of the end customers evaluating our work. If someone along the line wants to change our piece, it will have to be retyped or OCRed with extra typing work.

Also, and most especially when we accept to do a small test for free, it makes it more difficult for our prospects to use our work without our knowledge and approval, in bids or customers other than the intended customer/project we did the test for.

Among the items that I feel should be contained in the standard "test delivery template" would be:

In the body:
- The source text we were asked to translate
- Our translation

In the header or footer, or as a sidebar:
- Translator's initials
- The date of the test
- The company/agency
- The language pair (indicating any locales if applicable)

To me it would be really nice to package our tests and samples in some standard way, the same way you get to see little pieces of textiles in a ring folder when you go buy a sofa.
Collapse

Péter Végh
Péter Végh  Identity Verified
ハンガリー
英語 から ハンガリー語
Another idea Dec 3, 2011

If a translator does a test translation for someone, and if it fails, the translator can expect to receive the reviewed file with indications of errors and explanations. If a company is not willing to give such feedback, or if there is no word from them again, then it is probably a scam, and the translator could make an entry on BlueBord, indicating that the company is probably dishonest.

Unfortunately, it does not protect against such cases when the company tells that you passed th
... See more
If a translator does a test translation for someone, and if it fails, the translator can expect to receive the reviewed file with indications of errors and explanations. If a company is not willing to give such feedback, or if there is no word from them again, then it is probably a scam, and the translator could make an entry on BlueBord, indicating that the company is probably dishonest.

Unfortunately, it does not protect against such cases when the company tells that you passed the test, and you were added to their "database", but you will never hear about them again.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
ドイツ
2009に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Show unity and support! Dec 3, 2011

One good way to fight scam is to keep each other informed of (possible) scam - which we are already doing in these fora.

{quote]Tomás Cano Binder wrote:
Among the items that I feel should be contained in the standard "test delivery template" would be:

In the body:
- Our translation

... See more
One good way to fight scam is to keep each other informed of (possible) scam - which we are already doing in these fora.

{quote]Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

In the body:
- Our translation

- Translator's initials
- The date of the test
- The company/agency
- The language pair (indicating any locales if applicable)[/quote]

As I've posted in the thread http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/213403-entire_projects_translated_for_free.html ...

there are other ways to protect oneself from doing free translations.

1. never do a test translation of more than 200 - 250 words, least of all, for free.

2. keep sample translations of various topics and in various fields. (You could use parts of non-confidential translations you've done before that don't include any leads to that particular client.) You can offer to submit a field/topic related similar test translation. If the potential client insists on having his/her larger sample translated and without paying for your time, then this "offer" should be processed to "File 13".
Collapse

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
ウルグアイ
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Great idea, Tomás Dec 3, 2011

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Also, and most especially when we accept to do a small test for free, it makes it more difficult for our prospects to use our work without our knowledge and approval, in bids or customers other than the intended customer/project we did the test for.

In the body:
- Our translation

- Translator's initials
- The date of the test
- The company/agency
- The language pair (indicating any locales if applicable)

To me it would be really nice to package our tests and samples in some standard way, the same way you get to see little pieces of textiles in a ring folder when you go buy a sofa.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 06:12
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
Copyright? Dec 3, 2011

Just a thought...as an alternative / supplement to the watermark idea, would it suffice to state up front (and on the translation) that your translation will be for test purposes only and will remain the copyright of the translator until such time as payment is received (at the translator's reasonable minimum rate).

If the client objects, you'll probably know they intend to sell it.

If they don't object, you won't know for certain whether they intend to sell it but it m
... See more
Just a thought...as an alternative / supplement to the watermark idea, would it suffice to state up front (and on the translation) that your translation will be for test purposes only and will remain the copyright of the translator until such time as payment is received (at the translator's reasonable minimum rate).

If the client objects, you'll probably know they intend to sell it.

If they don't object, you won't know for certain whether they intend to sell it but it may weed out some of the harvesters...
Collapse

Janko Mesić
Janko Mesić  Identity Verified
スペイン語 から クロアチア語
+ ...
They have another trick... Dec 3, 2011

There is also this possibility to beware of:

You send them the test translation, somewhat skeptical as always. But, after a couple of days, they say they are happy with it and send you a contract to sign. You are happy because this is a recognized agency with a blueboard record of 5.0 and many positive comments. You sign the contract like it's a receipt for a lottery prize and send it to them at once.

And then, after a couple of months, you remember that you signed a co
... See more
There is also this possibility to beware of:

You send them the test translation, somewhat skeptical as always. But, after a couple of days, they say they are happy with it and send you a contract to sign. You are happy because this is a recognized agency with a blueboard record of 5.0 and many positive comments. You sign the contract like it's a receipt for a lottery prize and send it to them at once.

And then, after a couple of months, you remember that you signed a contract with that one agency that never sent you another e-mail, let alone a job. Funny, they must have forgotten about it.

And as for the copyright, the contract you were only too happy to sign states very clearly that all translations remain the property of the agency.....
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
ガーナ
Local time: 05:12
日本語 から 英語
Funny you should mention that Dec 3, 2011

I recently stopped signing contracts for "potential future work." You can send me the contract all right, but I'll only sign and return it when you have a concrete project for me to work on. It wasn't because I was afraid my tests would be stolen (since I've stopped taking those as well) but because a contract is a legally-binding agreement, and you never know when one of those is going to come back to bite you in the unmentionables.

nweatherdon
nweatherdon
カナダ
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
Would it be possible ... Dec 4, 2011

... for any jobs requiring a sample test and that are advertised on proz.com to have the sample test posted through the site? I know there's already a space for this, but perhaps something along the lines of getting access to a standard text upon making a bid.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
スペイン
2005に入会
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Never sign without an actual job Dec 5, 2011

Janko Mesić wrote:

Although it is a standard practice among agencies, signing contracts everywhere does not help us translators. Be very wary of signing contracts, since they are binding for a number of years, or forever if you do not cancel them.

I always recommend to inform the customer that you will be happy to study the contract and consider it when the first actual job is ordered from you.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 01:12
2002に入会
英語 から ハンガリー語
+ ...
You cannot make a BB entry based on a free test Dec 5, 2011

Péter Végh wrote:

According to the rules for the Blue Board, you can make a BB entry only if you performed contracted work for the outsourcer. A free test translation does not qualify. Even if it was a paid test (in my mind that is a small job), if you failed, that means they were not happy with the quality, which again, disqualifies you from making a BB entry.

Katalin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A simple protection from translation harvesters

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »