Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:42
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I think you are mixing three issues Nov 9, 2011

You have three separate issues at hand:
1. Substandard work, causing you extra costs.
2. Breach of the NDA by subcontracting to someone without your permission.
3. Identity fraud, which is annoying, but it did not cause you any extra costs, did it?

For 1, I think you can seek legal remedies, if you have a valid contract with a valid clause and proper evidence. I think first you need to demand payment from the contractor, and if she refuses, you can take legal actio
... See more
You have three separate issues at hand:
1. Substandard work, causing you extra costs.
2. Breach of the NDA by subcontracting to someone without your permission.
3. Identity fraud, which is annoying, but it did not cause you any extra costs, did it?

For 1, I think you can seek legal remedies, if you have a valid contract with a valid clause and proper evidence. I think first you need to demand payment from the contractor, and if she refuses, you can take legal action.

Same goes for 2, you did not say what legal recourse does the NDA stipulate, and whether it explicitly forbids subcontracting, but in most NDAs I saw there are penalties listed for breach of the NDA. You would probably need a lawyer's advice on this one.

For 3, I am not sure what your goal is, you already got the profiles deleted from the "other" website. You did not say whether this person is here on ProZ, but if she is, you can contact site administration about the issue. I think it may be difficult to sue this person on this account, and I am not sure what damages you could claim related to this identity fraud, but again, proper legal advice is the best way to go.

Good luck
Katalin
Collapse

mimi 254
mimi 254
Local time: 13:42
French to English
+ ...
same person Nov 9, 2011

I believe the 1st and 2nd translators are one and the same person with two different profiles. She took the assignment, outsourced it and the outcome happened to be unacceptable. she then quoted using another profile for the re-translation, expecting to be paid. By doing so, she will not be responsible for the extra expenses incurred due to her fault.

Stéphanie Denton (X)
Stéphanie Denton (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plot thickens Nov 9, 2011

The "second" translator's CV was written by the first translator (as I opened it and went to save it, I looked at the wuthor). Also, whilst looking over the CV in detail, the "second" translator has stolen someone else's CV. A translator who is on proZ. I have informed the translator in question. Still waiting for ProZ to get back to me.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translator fradulently posing as someone else

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »