Fake Travelers Cheques as Payment
Thread poster: Valerie Marzac
anneredreid (X)
anneredreid (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:06
South African based Spanish Scammer May 5, 2013

Dominique Svamberk wrote:

The story was the same - "my agent purchased the travelers cheques already in your name, would you be so kind and send the excess back to me." Yes, it sounded weird, but the client (the person who assigned the translation to me) said he had cancer and he needed the translated information for his treatment.

Hi Guys,

Same thing here. I got a job from a client which basically reads just like all of your stories. Client seemed lovely, but immediately told me that he had cancer, which I was suspicious about anyways, having only heard from an acquaintance whose plumber 'had cancer' and ran off with his money while he was building a house

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and accepted the job anyways, got it done and sent it off. He was lovely in all of my dealings with him, and came across as very religious, adding 'God Bless you' at the end of every e-mail. He also would pop up on chat and try flirting with me, which I always dismissed by ending the chat or changing the subject back to business.

Then he sent me this message: I just got an email from my client saying the payment had been sent yesterday. I email him your information,telling him to send your full payment. But there was a mistake as my client purchase a money order check payment of euro 3000 of the money he owe me on your name which include some of my medical surgery fees to you. I don't think there is anything to worry about for the trust i have in you, you will keep your full payment for the translation and send the excess funds. Please watch out for the payment and let me know when you receive it.

After that, I received E3000 worth of cheques which, naively, I brought to the bank. They refused to have anything to do with them at all. I contacted my the client (who had been calling and e-mailing me regularly), told him and he was extremely insistent that I still find ways to cash them. I refused and told him I'd gladly send the cheques back to the client (based in Sweden) if they would transfer the money. I went away for a week, didn't check my e-mails at all and, surprise surprise never heard anything since.

It only happened recently, and not entirely sure which avenue to go down as, chances are, all the names I know are fake. Going to just take it as a learning experience: Not really much else you can do!

Anne

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fake Travelers Cheques as Payment

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »