Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:56
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 24, 2010

hello

I received on Thursday a SDL Trados Studio 2009 Christmas Offer: $400 only for studio 2009.
of course I was interested because I need it.

After exchanging a few mails about details, I said I would pay by Visa.
Unfortunately I was answered with directions to use Paipal to pay onto a private paypal account ([email protected]), afterwards I would download the product and receive the licence keys.

First I was astonished because it was not a SDL
... See more
hello

I received on Thursday a SDL Trados Studio 2009 Christmas Offer: $400 only for studio 2009.
of course I was interested because I need it.

After exchanging a few mails about details, I said I would pay by Visa.
Unfortunately I was answered with directions to use Paipal to pay onto a private paypal account ([email protected]), afterwards I would download the product and receive the licence keys.

First I was astonished because it was not a SDL official account, but I finally paid the $400 via Paypal.
Of course nothing happened except the decrease of my account.

I didn't receive the product.

I noticed a few english mistakes in the incoming mails from "[email protected]".

I don't know what to do but it seems very difficult to be refunded.
I hope this will not happen to somebody else, but the initial message was sent to a (hidden) list of people

Merry Christmas!

Marie Chevassus
Collapse

784512 (X)
784512 (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Contact Paypal Dec 24, 2010

Contact Paypal ASAP. They should (may) be able to reverse the payment if it has not yet been withdrawn from the other Paypal account.

So sorry to hear this has happened, and thank you for posting it here to other translators. It seems this is another in a long line of scams targeting translators.

Similar recent scams have involved advance payments for work that has not yet been done, and then cancelled, and then a request for a refund via Western Union (although the che
... See more
Contact Paypal ASAP. They should (may) be able to reverse the payment if it has not yet been withdrawn from the other Paypal account.

So sorry to hear this has happened, and thank you for posting it here to other translators. It seems this is another in a long line of scams targeting translators.

Similar recent scams have involved advance payments for work that has not yet been done, and then cancelled, and then a request for a refund via Western Union (although the cheque cashed will later bounce).

Be careful, all!

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it.

Rose
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 12:56
English to Thai
+ ...
PayPal repayment functions Dec 25, 2010

PayPal repayment functions/service is quite effective. I once got back my payment from a dishonest webmaster.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:56
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Watch out for request of payment to a freemail account Dec 25, 2010

Marie,

Sorry to hear about what happened. It seems like this scammer is an insider (not in the sense that this scammer works for SDL), but a person who knows at least something about the translation industry, since s/he targeted you and others knowing that there is a convenient translation tool which many translators use and some are considering to buy one.

This is a universal rule, whether it be a CAT tool, a software, PC, or whatever, but if someone contacts you usin
... See more
Marie,

Sorry to hear about what happened. It seems like this scammer is an insider (not in the sense that this scammer works for SDL), but a person who knows at least something about the translation industry, since s/he targeted you and others knowing that there is a convenient translation tool which many translators use and some are considering to buy one.

This is a universal rule, whether it be a CAT tool, a software, PC, or whatever, but if someone contacts you using a product's name and gives you an offer like the one you got and asks you to send the money in a different method than you suggested especially to a personal account with a freemail address (Yahoo, Google, Hotmail but not necessarily limited to the ones I mentioned) instead of an official account, you should have second thoughts, because these companies WILL NEVER ask you to pay to a personal account under any circumstances.

Like Rosalyn and Soonthon mentioned, you should immediately get in touch with Paypal and ask for a refund before the culprit withdraws the money.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
PayPal's policy on "virtual products" Dec 25, 2010

I purchased my licence for another CAT package through PayPal, and there were some delays owing to the fact that the publisher's servers were down.

In the course of my dealings over the phone with the nearest PayPal office (Luxembourg), I learnt that PayPal never give refunds on "virtual products"... like software or software licences.

It seems that scammers and fraudsters are well aware of this policy.

This should not hinder you, Marie, to file a co
... See more
I purchased my licence for another CAT package through PayPal, and there were some delays owing to the fact that the publisher's servers were down.

In the course of my dealings over the phone with the nearest PayPal office (Luxembourg), I learnt that PayPal never give refunds on "virtual products"... like software or software licences.

It seems that scammers and fraudsters are well aware of this policy.

This should not hinder you, Marie, to file a complaint with PayPal - but the chances that you may recover your money are IMHO close to zero.

When it comes to buying such products, the golden rule remains: contact the publisher directly or get in touch with one of their authorised resellers (like ProZ.com and its TGB actions).
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
More about PayPal's policy... Dec 25, 2010

About the non-reimbursement of "biens immatériels" or "intangible items" - the exact PayPal designation for digital contents, services, licences, etc.:

http://tinyurl.com/biens-immateriels (in French)

http://tinyurl.com/intangible-items (in English)

[M
... See more
About the non-reimbursement of "biens immatériels" or "intangible items" - the exact PayPal designation for digital contents, services, licences, etc.:

[Modifié le 2010-12-25 06:47 GMT]
Collapse

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
not a scam? Dec 25, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

[Modifié le 2010-12-25 06:47 GMT]

dear all,

thank you for your help and your good tips re: Paypal

Actually I just received a new mail from the guy (SDL PROMO1 with a gmail address) who received my paiement;

he returns also the download address and the license key(!)

Everything seems to be OK except this was not dealed through an official SDL Trados sales person.

I will let you know whether the installation works or not.

Anyway this Christmas promotion is over now, so nobody else will have the doubt!

Have a good Christmas day and thanks again,

Marie Chevassus

[Edited at 2010-12-25 07:36 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
What I can hope for you... Dec 25, 2010

is that this copy of Studio 2009 is not a "cracked" one (or even malware).

Anyway and if one wants to buy software, the best way is to go through official channels.

Merry Christmas!

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
I didn't know! Dec 25, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Anyway and if one wants to buy software, the best way is to go through official channels.

Merry Christmas!

I didn't know it was not an official channel, displayed as SDL PROMO1 !

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Official SDL Trados offer Dec 25, 2010

The official Christmas offer for Studio 2009 on ProZ.com can be found here: http://www.proz.com/sdltrados/buy (it lasts until December 31, if I am not mistaken).

FWIW, I have sent an e-mail to the SDL Trados representative(s) intervening on ProZ.com to have their input about this story.

Let's wait and see.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
gmail Dec 25, 2010

Marie Chevassus wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Merry Christmas!

I didn't know it was not an official channel, displayed as SDL PROMO1 !

Major companies like SDL always have their own domain name. You can check their website and see the email addresses they use, I'm guessing [email protected] in this case.
If a company has a domain name like that and you're getting an email from [email protected], that's almost certainly not from the company in question.
In other words, you should have been more careful.
You should have checked out SDL's website and sites like proz as well, to see if the discount deal advertised to you was real, and done a google search for the email address.

Anyway, what you should do now is: avoid the download link the guy sent you. Check the URL, and if it's not www.sdl.com/XXX, avoid it like the plague. You could try getting the trial version of Trados from the official SDL site and using the licence key you got from the shady seller, but I'm guessing it probably won't work, and even if it does, I don't think it would be legal use of the software.

A paypal dispute is of course the default course of action, but if Paypal states that they don't refund sw licences, they probably won't do a thing. You could report the scammer to the police, but the hopes of him getting caught and you getting anything back are slim to none.

Madeleine Chevassus
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
SDL Trados representative on ProZ Dec 25, 2010

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

The official Christmas offer for Studio 2009 on ProZ.com can be found here: http://www.proz.com/sdltrados/buy (it lasts until December 31, if I am not mistaken).

FWIW, I have sent an e-mail to the SDL Trados representative(s) intervening on ProZ.com to have their input about this story.

Let's wait and see.

SDL Trados representative on ProZ

please give me the contact with these people, and, if you like, copy me with your mail to them.
I won't discuss that any further on the forum.

Marie Chevassus

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Collective profile Dec 25, 2010

Marie,
this is the collective ProZ.com profile for SDL Trados representatives: http://www.proz.com/profile/716737

You can send them an e-mail and I assume that every person using this profile will receive it.

784512 (X)
784512 (X)
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Links and email addresses can appear genuine, too Dec 26, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Major companies like SDL always have their own domain name. You can check their website and see the email addresses they use, I'm guessing [email protected] in this case.
If a company has a domain name like that and you're getting an email from [email protected], that's almost certainly not from the company in question.
In other words, you should have been more careful.
You should have checked out SDL's website and sites like proz as well, to see if the discount deal advertised to you was real, and done a google search for the email address.

Anyway, what you should do now is: avoid the download link the guy sent you. Check the URL, and if it's not www.sdl.com/XXX, avoid it like the plague. You could try getting the trial version of Trados from the official SDL site and using the licence key you got from the shady seller, but I'm guessing it probably won't work, and even if it does, I don't think it would be legal use of the software.

A paypal dispute is of course the default course of action, but if Paypal states that they don't refund sw licences, they probably won't do a thing. You could report the scammer to the police, but the hopes of him getting caught and you getting anything back are slim to none.

re: Domain names, people should also be aware that all email addresses can be spoofed - and easily. My own Wordpress blog does it automatically when someone uses the contact form.

People should also be aware of the way hrefs (hypertext links) can be abused. Check out this excellent advice matter on this subject:

www.avoidonlinescams.com

If you just clicked the above, you'll have thought you were going to a site called Avoid Online Scams, but actually, sneakily, ended up at my website. Point proven! Beware of even basic HTML skills. Links and emails are not always as they appear.

EDIT: Hahaha, the clever ProZ team have disabled such coding!

FYI, the code read (with spaces between the characters of the code, in brackets) ( < a h r e f " ) THE SNEAKY LINK GOES HERE ( " > ) www.avoidonlinescams.com ( < / a > ).

On any less secure forum, website, or even emails where html is displayed, this trick will work. BEWARE!

[Edited at 2010-12-26 02:18 GMT]

Ingrid Landfried
Ingrid Landfried  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
SDL Trados Studio offer Jan 11, 2011

Dear all,

I received the same offer by email and was also sceptical, as the price seemed very low and I realised that it was from a gmail account.

So I asked the sender and this is his answer:

Dear

There is no difference in the cost the actual reason is margin/profit.

Proz is also getting it at lower rate but sells it at a higher rate and gives only 45% discount.

SDL only gives 25% because if he increase this discount
... See more
Dear all,

I received the same offer by email and was also sceptical, as the price seemed very low and I realised that it was from a gmail account.

So I asked the sender and this is his answer:

Dear

There is no difference in the cost the actual reason is margin/profit.

Proz is also getting it at lower rate but sells it at a higher rate and gives only 45% discount.

SDL only gives 25% because if he increase this discount then no one will purchase it at its market price and always looks for discount.

Our margin is less. Proz has good name and have 100K+ members so they can sell it at the price they wish.

We are not that big. We only sell 5-10 licenses per month and have less goodwill in market so if we not give that much discount then no one will purchase from us.

Please confirm receipt and advice.

Thanks and Regards

He also sent this mail:

Dear

You have to download the software directly from SDL Website.

Yes, your name will be registered.

Yes we can raise the invoice for you.

You can contact us or directly to SDL Support.

Please confirm receipt and advice.

Thanks and Regards

So I am waiting for an invoice now, as the address should appear on it.

I will keep you informed.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam? SDL Trados Studio 2009 Christmas Offer

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »