Applications open for the ProZ.com moderator class of 2012-2013
Thread poster: Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Jun 5, 2012

Dear members,

The time is drawing near for the end of the moderator class of 2011-2012 and the new class of 2012-2013 is scheduled to begin in August. If you are a member who have benefited from ProZ.com and would like to give something back, consider applying for a one-year term as a site moderator:

http://www.proz.com/moderators

More information about the moderator
... See more
Dear members,

The time is drawing near for the end of the moderator class of 2011-2012 and the new class of 2012-2013 is scheduled to begin in August. If you are a member who have benefited from ProZ.com and would like to give something back, consider applying for a one-year term as a site moderator:

http://www.proz.com/moderators

More information about the moderator program and the benefit it offers is available here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=moderators

Thanks in advance to those interested!

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 16:23
French to English
+ ...
What's the salary? Jun 5, 2012

What's the salary for it?

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Hebrew to English
Good one! Jun 5, 2012

Timothy Barton wrote:

What's the salary for it?

It's voluntary!

"Moderators are not paid for their work. However, there are a number of benefits to participating in the program."
http://cdn.proz.com/file_resources/other/0d56d40aac93ead3c1c9ee1c810cdcb3_Moderator_program_overview.pdf

Ivan Rocha, CT
Ivan Rocha, CT
Canada
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, I have considered Jun 5, 2012

...but I have as a personal standard not to volunteer for persons or companies that are profit-driven, such as Proz. While I've got nothing against those who do it, I'd rather volunteer for non-for-profit entities (which I do).

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:23
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
The idea is tempting, but... Jun 6, 2012

the last thing I need is another schedule on top of my 50-60 hour week. I do admire the colleagues who volunteer for this important task, on the other hand I am ticked off when crucial measures are taken care of 30 or 40 or 50 hours late, and entire threads then are gleaned beyond recognition by amateurish and dilettantish efforts and eventually deleted in entirety. Moderating forums is no kiddie playground and it is most definitely no playground for elementary school-like implementation of the ... See more
the last thing I need is another schedule on top of my 50-60 hour week. I do admire the colleagues who volunteer for this important task, on the other hand I am ticked off when crucial measures are taken care of 30 or 40 or 50 hours late, and entire threads then are gleaned beyond recognition by amateurish and dilettantish efforts and eventually deleted in entirety. Moderating forums is no kiddie playground and it is most definitely no playground for elementary school-like implementation of the mighty red pen, just for the heck of it. This is the largest translator portal worldwide. We are proud members. We are professionals. The moderators should be reimbursed.Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Hear, hear! Jun 6, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

the last thing I need is another schedule on top of my 50-60 hour week. I do admire the colleagues who volunteer for this important task, on the other hand I am ticked off when crucial measures are taken care of 30 or 40 or 50 hours late, and entire threads then are gleaned beyond recognition by amateurish and dilettantish efforts and eventually deleted in entirety. Moderating forums is no kiddie playground and it is most definitely no playground for elementary school-like implementation of the mighty red pen, just for the heck of it. This is the largest translator portal worldwide. We are proud members. We are professionals. The moderators should be reimbursed.

I also agree with Ivan's comment above. Voluntary work for anything but a not-for-profit organisation? Out of the question. Why should moderators on a site that presumably turns over a profit from a combination of its not insignificant membership fees and hefty advertising be expected to work for nothing? We provide a space for jobs to be advertised at rock-bottom rates, plus we endorse a system where mods work for nothing. What message ARE we sending out here?

Valerie35 (X)
Valerie35 (X)
Local time: 16:23
German to English
Agree Jun 6, 2012

Ivan Rocha wrote:

...but I have as a personal standard not to volunteer for persons or companies that are profit-driven, such as Proz. While I've got nothing against those who do it, I'd rather volunteer for non-for-profit entities (which I do).

I absolutely agree, and I don't know why people fall for the "community" thing.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
This announcements is just to let those interested know that they can apply Jun 6, 2012

Hello all,

As has been noted, acting as a ProZ.com site moderator for the one-year period outlined in the program is voluntary, and there is no financial reimbursement involved with this. Those who do take a turn at this put in their time and energy generously in the interest of helping guide those who use the site in getting what they need or find what they are looking for here, and I believe most will tell you they have a positive, rewarding experience.

Of course, tak
... See more
Hello all,

As has been noted, acting as a ProZ.com site moderator for the one-year period outlined in the program is voluntary, and there is no financial reimbursement involved with this. Those who do take a turn at this put in their time and energy generously in the interest of helping guide those who use the site in getting what they need or find what they are looking for here, and I believe most will tell you they have a positive, rewarding experience.

Of course, taking a turn as a ProZ.com site moderator is not for everybody, and there is nothing wrong with that. The point of this announcement and thread is to let those who are interested in participating in the program know that they can apply to do so now.

Lucia
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Locking thread Jun 6, 2012

Dear all,

As explained in my previous post, the point of this announcement and thread is to let those who are interested in participating in the program know that they can apply to do so now. However, given that the discussion seems to have drifted from the original topic and it seems to be heading for less productive waters, I am locking this thread.

If you have any doubts or suggestions regarding the moderator program,
... See more
Dear all,

As explained in my previous post, the point of this announcement and thread is to let those who are interested in participating in the program know that they can apply to do so now. However, given that the discussion seems to have drifted from the original topic and it seems to be heading for less productive waters, I am locking this thread.

If you have any doubts or suggestions regarding the moderator program, please submit a support request, http://www.proz.com/support

Also, thanks to the members that are already submitting their applications! They will be reviewed shortly.

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Applications open for the ProZ.com moderator class of 2012-2013

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »