Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: At what time of day are you most productive?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Lincy Luyten
Lincy Luyten  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:02
French to Flemish
+ ...
Definitely in the evening! Mar 8, 2011

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "At what time of day are you most productive?".

This poll was originally submitted by Marinus Vesseur. View the poll results »

Livia D'Ettorre
Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
It depends Mar 8, 2011

I agree with LinguaLab.net. It depends on the day and on how many coffees I drink.

[Edited at 2011-03-08 13:26 GMT]

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Local time: 20:02
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
I voted early afternoon but... Mar 8, 2011

really it depends on what I have to do. This morning I got work finished between 9 and 11, which I considered early until I saw some of the responses here! I'm really more of a night owl and have often worked through the night when necessary (or stayed up anyway watching films) but in general try to get most work done in afternoon

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Early morning without a doubt, but... Mar 8, 2011

Once past a rough patch early evening, I can go through to the wee small hours no bother.
Attention is not at its height between 14h and 15h, that's for sure!

Ricardo Gouveia
Ricardo Gouveia  Identity Verified
English to Portuguese
+ ...
At night Mar 8, 2011

As I usually work between 9.00pm until I start feeling unproductive, however, I usually feel better and more productive between 12.00am and 2.00am.

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
relative Mar 8, 2011

morning, i.e. from ca. 11.00 a.m.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Where was the "late morning" option? Mar 8, 2011

It seems a lot of us wanted to answer "morning" but not "early".

My working day, regarding chargeable translation or proofreading (i.e. actually earning something), doesn't really start until 10 am. Before that I'm dealing with emails etc whilst having breakfast, putting the wash on etc. Then I go like a train until 12.30.

Of course, I do work in the afternoons (and sometimes in the evenings, too) but never at quite the same pace or concentration as during the late morn
... See more
It seems a lot of us wanted to answer "morning" but not "early".

My working day, regarding chargeable translation or proofreading (i.e. actually earning something), doesn't really start until 10 am. Before that I'm dealing with emails etc whilst having breakfast, putting the wash on etc. Then I go like a train until 12.30.

Of course, I do work in the afternoons (and sometimes in the evenings, too) but never at quite the same pace or concentration as during the late morning.
Collapse

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:02
Japanese to English
Nocturnal Mar 8, 2011

At night. Very late at night, when the whole world is silent. If I had my way I'd sleep during the day and work at night.

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:02
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
5-7 am Mar 8, 2011

My most productive time of day is before the day starts in my home, from 5 to 7 am. Of course this means that I'm totally useless in the evenings, but it works out since I live in a timezone 7 hours different from my clients. I wake up when they've been at it for a few hours, so I rev my engines and go until around noon.

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
that´s me, too. Mar 8, 2011

Anne Carnot wrote:
I also like to wake up around 4am to do some work, as there are no interruption from the kids (!), and I'm quite alert then, but when I do that, I'm brainless in the afternoon

That´s me, although I usually start at 5 or 6 am for the same reason. But then my work day has to finish at 2pm at the latest, and I have to be in bed around 10pm.

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:02
English to Dutch
+ ...
As many options as there are people.. Mar 8, 2011

.. it seems. I asked the question because I am best in the late afternoon and in the evening, after dinner, and I wanted to know if anyone else is like me in that respect. There are some true night owls here, I see, and early afternoon apparently is nobody's favourite.

Early morning (between 7 and 9) is a good time to reply to e-mails for me, because that's when I can still reach most of my clients, who are in Europe and are just getting ready to leave the office. When that is dealt
... See more
.. it seems. I asked the question because I am best in the late afternoon and in the evening, after dinner, and I wanted to know if anyone else is like me in that respect. There are some true night owls here, I see, and early afternoon apparently is nobody's favourite.

Early morning (between 7 and 9) is a good time to reply to e-mails for me, because that's when I can still reach most of my clients, who are in Europe and are just getting ready to leave the office. When that is dealt with I go do something else. It took a long time for me to accept that I'm not productive in the morning; for some reason it felt wrong. Once I accepted it, it made me free to pursue other interests (the gym, sailing, biking, photography), mostly in the outdoors.

- Rien
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Personally Mar 8, 2011

... I probably work better in the morning, refreshed and with a clear head.
However, my productivity does not depend on my own state but rather the interruptions and demands I have to deal with during normal office hours, so in terms of output volume I am often more productive late at night and into the small hours, when there is noone around...

For example, it's now 9.30 in the evening and I've just started working, as I lost about 3 hours taking a PC to be repaired out in t
... See more
... I probably work better in the morning, refreshed and with a clear head.
However, my productivity does not depend on my own state but rather the interruptions and demands I have to deal with during normal office hours, so in terms of output volume I am often more productive late at night and into the small hours, when there is noone around...

For example, it's now 9.30 in the evening and I've just started working, as I lost about 3 hours taking a PC to be repaired out in the sticks and getting lost on the way there and back....
Collapse

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:02
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Eary ust my cup of tea, but... Mar 8, 2011

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Early morning (between 7 and 9) is a good time to reply to e-mails for me, because that's when I can still reach most of my clients, who are in Europe and are just getting ready to leave the office. When that is dealt with I go do something else. It took a long time for me to accept that I'm not productive in the morning; for some reason it felt wrong. Once I accepted it, it made me free to pursue other interests (the gym, sailing, biking, photography), mostly in the outdoors.

- Rien

When I started typing my intended post, I got interrupted and finally gave up posting. And I was actually typing that I felt most productive from noon until late afternoon. But unfortunately I can't utilize that for my advantage in regards to my translation business since I have 2 kids and many daily errands to take care of just around that time of the day. So I end up being confined to work late at night when the children are asleep, no emails hitting the inbox, no house chores, no bills to pay... but... many yawns and a lot of drowsiness. If I could choose, I'd do exactly like you do because that is exactly how I dream of utilizing my time.

keelin feeney
keelin feeney  Identity Verified
Ireland
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Early in the morning Mar 9, 2011

Between 5am-9am because I don't have any distractions and tend to work fastest...second to that is between 8pm-11pm at night, again because I don't have any distractions. During the day is hardest as I find there are other things I need to do, the sun is beckoning me outside, I feel like I need some exercise, need to run that errand...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: At what time of day are you most productive?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »