Upgraded to 9.8, Licence Gone. Anyone else have the same experience.
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 14, 2021

I like working with MemoQ. But upgrading to the latest version? Oh no. Worse than a Windows upgrade for me. Something always goes wrong. I lost a ton of data during an "update" a couple of years ago. And the next version looks and does the same as the old one (plus a couple of features that I don't understand and are rarely interesting to me).

Anyway, I upgraded to 9.8 from 9.4 and that was a big mistake. Nothing going anymore.

Support writes this cryptic message after
... See more
I like working with MemoQ. But upgrading to the latest version? Oh no. Worse than a Windows upgrade for me. Something always goes wrong. I lost a ton of data during an "update" a couple of years ago. And the next version looks and does the same as the old one (plus a couple of features that I don't understand and are rarely interesting to me).

Anyway, I upgraded to 9.8 from 9.4 and that was a big mistake. Nothing going anymore.

Support writes this cryptic message after I sent them my support request:

"Please download and install memoQ 9.7 based on your SMA you can activate it without an issue."

"Based on my SMA" I can activate 9.7 but not 9.8? Hopefully there'll be some clarification.

Whatever, 9.7 does not work either. I am still in the "4Free Mode", which essentially means "No Mode" because it's entirely useless. Yes, I restarted my computer.

Do I need MemoQ at all? Situations like these raise that question.
Collapse

William Tierney
William Tierney  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
Member (2002)
Arabic to English
Confirming legitimate users may lose legitimate users Jun 14, 2021

Hi Marinus,

A few months ago, I did a project for an agency that assumed I did not have memoQ, so they extended me a temporary license. If I had only known the problems it would cause, I would have never let it happen in the first place. Ever since, I regularly get "no license" and have to go through the activation process. MemoQ has normally been able to send me an activation file (check with MemoQ support and your documentation on this), but there have been times when I had a d
... See more
Hi Marinus,

A few months ago, I did a project for an agency that assumed I did not have memoQ, so they extended me a temporary license. If I had only known the problems it would cause, I would have never let it happen in the first place. Ever since, I regularly get "no license" and have to go through the activation process. MemoQ has normally been able to send me an activation file (check with MemoQ support and your documentation on this), but there have been times when I had a deadline and there was no response from Budapest.

I have been told that if I make any changes to my computer, such as updates, memoQ doesn't recognize it, so the license has to be activated again. I am not sure I buy it. In any case, this "advanced" technology to prove legitimate users may end up losing legitimate users.

If you have a license for memoQ, don't let an agency extend you a license in any form.

I just upgraded to 9.8 and was able to activate my license the quick way, without any email interaction with Kilgray.

As to the new version, I am not sure about the integrations, but I am looking forward to the regex tools. I have been using regular expressions (regex) more recently, and it can be a very handy tool.
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:32
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SMA contract expired. My bad. Jun 14, 2021

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

"Based on my SMA" I can activate 9.7 but not 9.8? Hopefully there'll be some clarification.

Whatever, 9.7 does not work either. I am still in the "4Free Mode", which essentially means "No Mode" because it's entirely useless.

Answer: "Your SMA contract has expired" So, my mistake. Except, that would have been a clear statement, but neither the program itself, nor the support guy appear to master "people language" and so I was left with cryptic geek language messages that I could not decipher late last night.

Anyway, I paid up and now we'll see if the old machine starts working again soon.

I have this love-hate relationship with CAT tools. For some jobs they are a godsend, but many times I wonder whether I am actually gaining anything by it. You just have to use them because the client demands it. I just hate this feeling of being a replaceable cogwheel in a gigantic machine.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
I'm not really sure, but Jun 14, 2021

...wasn't MemoQ's whole thing about buying a perpetual license for a specific version? Hence the mid-2021 support requests for MemoQ 8.something, the clients with 9.1ish server versions, etc.

I may be mistaken, but it appears to be telling you that the license you own doesn't extend to 9.8

[Edited at 2021-06-14 17:50 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Upgraded to 9.8, Licence Gone. Anyone else have the same experience.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »