9.3 - Adding words to spell checker / moving words from one ignore list to another
Thread poster: Ártemis López
Ártemis López
Ártemis López
Spain
Local time: 18:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2021

I see this was discussed over a decade (whew!) ago, but I'm hoping... Something has improved between then and now?

I need a straightforward way to either add words separately to the dictionary (or an ignore list that works as the dictionary) and to a project-specific ignore list or to, once added to one list, quickly move them to a d
... See more
I see this was discussed over a decade (whew!) ago, but I'm hoping... Something has improved between then and now?

I need a straightforward way to either add words separately to the dictionary (or an ignore list that works as the dictionary) and to a project-specific ignore list or to, once added to one list, quickly move them to a different list.

The only ways I've found so far are (1) to manually delete the terms from one list and manually write them back into another—and both lists can't be open simultaneously, so I'd have to add the terms to a list on notepad or similar in order to not forget terms along the way or (2) to keep going into the ignore lists menu and changing the "in the current project, add new words to..." setting every few words. Both of these are unsustainable, since the client-specific words would be wrong in pretty much any other assignment.

Does anyone have a better way than what I'm currently doing?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
How about tweaking the actual ignore list file? Jun 13, 2021

If you look for a folder called "IgnoreLists" in the disk you use as the location for memoQ's resources, you will find that it contains a file for each of the ignore lists you use.

For instance, you can find ger-DE#Default.mqres for a German Ignore list. If you open one of these files with an editor like Notepad++, you can see something like this:
Captura de pantalla 2021-06-13 091313

You should be able to copy the lines and enter your desired ignore words. If your list is really long, you might want to use MS Word to add the inicial part with the date/time, etc. by Find/Replace... (just ask me in case of doubt).

Disclaimer: I have not tried this myself, so just let us know here if it works! I hope it does.

Ártemis López
Ártemis López
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jun 13, 2021

This works, thank you! Mine oddly doesn't have timestamps, so it's even easier to deal with. I tried shuffling lines around and adding/removing lines, and I had no issue. I do recommend everyone back up their ignore lists before messing with them just in case, though! You can edit them directly on Notepad or with a source code editor like Notepad++ or SublimeText.

For
... See more
This works, thank you! Mine oddly doesn't have timestamps, so it's even easier to deal with. I tried shuffling lines around and adding/removing lines, and I had no issue. I do recommend everyone back up their ignore lists before messing with them just in case, though! You can edit them directly on Notepad or with a source code editor like Notepad++ or SublimeText.

For the readers of the future: my IgnoreLists is in ProgramData>MemoQ>Resources>Local, you'll probably find it there too
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Jun 13, 2021

Ártemis López wrote:
This works, thank you! Mine oddly doesn't have timestamps, so it's even easier to deal with.

The file I made a capture from had entries from 2013, so it is possible that they have removed this rather useless information in more recent versions.

I am glad this did the trick!

BTW: I rarely use spellchecking in memoQ since I definitely want both spellchecking and grammar and always use MS Word for that (by exporting a bilingual RTF version of the fully finished file(s) and spellchecking that).

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:12
English to Russian
A minor addition Jun 13, 2021

There is a button "Export to Word"* that exports your ignore list to an MS Word compatible *.dic file (path: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\UProof) with no stamps at all. You can also edit it and then import back to memoQ.

*Not MS Word docx file but a dic file that can be used with MS Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

9.3 - Adding words to spell checker / moving words from one ignore list to another

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »