How to auto-process internal repetitions?
Thread poster: Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella
Luca Ruella  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 24, 2021

I am translating multiple files that have many cross-file repetitions. Entire paragraphs are the same.

MemoQ leverages and inserts them but I need to manually confirm each segment. I would like MemoQ to do this automatically until it finds the next non 100% match.

How to do this?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A view May 24, 2021

Check how to create a view and make one with all your files. You will translate the view as if it was one single file, and, if you have Autopropagation turned on, it will propagage your segments across all files. Once you delete the view, your files are translated.

Luca Ruella
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
repetitions May 24, 2021

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Check how to create a view and make one with all your files. You will translate the view as if it was one single file, and, if you have Autopropagation turned on, it will propagage your segments across all files. Once you delete the view, your files are translated.

Thanks for the hint. However, this is more of a workaround to what I wanted to actually do. So I guess there is no option that sounds like "apply and cofirm 100% matches and move to next segment".

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:43
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pretranslation? May 24, 2021

Luca Ruella wrote:
So I guess there is no option that sounds like "apply and cofirm 100% matches and move to next segment".

Hm... What you could do is create a view and then do a pretranslation (Translation tab > Pretranslate) so that anything that is in your memory is translated and confirmed in one go. After that, you can translate the rest. Is this what you mean?

Luca Ruella
United States
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reps May 24, 2021

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT wrote:

Luca Ruella wrote:
So I guess there is no option that sounds like "apply and cofirm 100% matches and move to next segment".

Hm... What you could do is create a view and then do a pretranslation (Translation tab > Pretranslate) so that anything that is in your memory is translated and confirmed in one go. After that, you can translate the rest. Is this what you mean?

Nope, I mean something that happens in the editor, where the CAT automagically translates and confirms 100% matches in real time in front of my eyes until it finds a new segment. I don't wanna mess with pre-translations and the like, cause I'm just a freelancer and the project has been created by an agency.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
There's some pitfalls to it May 24, 2021

Views help. But beware, not all 100% matches are actual matches. Even on a perfect document (for example, the way different languages handle genders and counts will generate many false positive "perfect" matches that fall apart in the greater context of neighboring sentences).

Segmentation errors and bad scans can cause further issues.

And of course there's the classic error of propagating a single instance of restored text marked "illegible" in a scan across ALL docume
... See more
Views help. But beware, not all 100% matches are actual matches. Even on a perfect document (for example, the way different languages handle genders and counts will generate many false positive "perfect" matches that fall apart in the greater context of neighboring sentences).

Segmentation errors and bad scans can cause further issues.

And of course there's the classic error of propagating a single instance of restored text marked "illegible" in a scan across ALL documents...or accidentally turning EVERY case of numerous different [signature]'s into [signature: John Smith]

[Edited at 2021-05-24 14:18 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:43
English to Russian
Automatically proceed to process further segments May 24, 2021

Go to Translation > Translation Settings > Automatic Lookup and Insertion.
Check 'Automatically proceed to process further segments, until a segment meets Goto next conditions'.

[Edited at 2021-05-24 18:22 GMT]

Stanislav Okhvat
Stanislav Okhvat
Local time: 22:43
English to Russian
Locking non-first repetitions before translation May 26, 2021

Hello Luca,

Views are the best way to handle projects with multiple files and cross-file repetitions. However, I would recommend you to lock all non-first repetitions (i.e. second and further repetitions of a specific repetitive segment) so that all unique segments are unlocked, translate all the files, perform QA, and then unlock previously locked segments and propagate the translations to these segments. Some time ago a colleague of mine and I developed a workflow for doing this,
... See more
Hello Luca,

Views are the best way to handle projects with multiple files and cross-file repetitions. However, I would recommend you to lock all non-first repetitions (i.e. second and further repetitions of a specific repetitive segment) so that all unique segments are unlocked, translate all the files, perform QA, and then unlock previously locked segments and propagate the translations to these segments. Some time ago a colleague of mine and I developed a workflow for doing this, which was formalized as a PDF file which you can download freely from here: https://www.translatortools.net/blog/articles-and-workflows/181-workflow-memoq-high-reps

There are several benefits of this workflow over creating a joint view of all the files: no issues during QA/review as you will need to edit only unique segments, easy sharing of the files with your colleagues as they will only need to translate unlocked segments, and several others. These benefits are described in the above document.

The only drawback of this approach is that the files that you group together for locking the repetitions will have to be delivered to the customer at more or less the same time.

Best regards,
Stanislav Okhvat
Translation technology consulting, custom software development for LSPs, DTP services
https://www.translatortools.net
Collapse

Grigori Gazarian

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:43
English to Russian
Translate to fuzzy May 26, 2021

What Luca is asking for is called "Translate to fuzzy" in Trados terminology. It is not about reps or views. There was a discussion here where Gergely Vandor (a Kilgray guy I guess) states that they have this functionality. I tried to enable this feature but it doesn't seem to work as I expect. I asked Kilgra... See more
What Luca is asking for is called "Translate to fuzzy" in Trados terminology. It is not about reps or views. There was a discussion here where Gergely Vandor (a Kilgray guy I guess) states that they have this functionality. I tried to enable this feature but it doesn't seem to work as I expect. I asked Kilgray support but their reply was as quick as absolutely irrelevant and no help to me. I put it here if somebody else can find a use for this piece of information:

Here is the relevant guide:
- https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/automatic-lookup-and-insertion.html?highlight="Automatically%20proceed%20to%20process%20further%20segments,%20until%20a%20segment%20meets%20Goto%20next%20conditions"
To make it simple, please open the Goto next settings (Ctrl+Shift+G by default), then check only the Not started status. Please make sure that the Automatic jump after confirmation is disabled.

I work with memoQ using clients over a decade and I clearly understand the instructions above, and tried to do exactly what they suggested but to no avail. On the one hand, it does not keep automatically processing and confirming segments. On the other hand, even if I check those settings the way they suggest, it simply breaks my workflow with still no expected effect. This feature just does not work in memoQ. It is not even documented properly: you will never find "Keep processing segments until one meets Goto next conditions" in Google because it is described as "Automatically proceed to process further segments, until a segment meets Goto next conditions" in their help documentation.

[Edited at 2021-05-26 17:58 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to auto-process internal repetitions?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »