Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:45
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2003

Dear colleagues,

another question about these sticky php websites. Is it possible if the client asks you for a quote, to download a dynamic (php) website. I tried to do it with Teleport pro.
It downloads a mass of files like:
orden_1.htm,
orden_1.htm-id=3&h=1.htm
orden_1.htm-id=4&h=1.htm
orden_1.htm-id=5&h=1.htm
up to
orden_1.htm-id=286&h=1.htm

or proforma_1.php.htm
proforma_1.php-e=s&id=3&h=1.htm
up to proforma_1.
... See more
Dear colleagues,

another question about these sticky php websites. Is it possible if the client asks you for a quote, to download a dynamic (php) website. I tried to do it with Teleport pro.
orden_1.htm,
orden_1.htm-id=3&h=1.htm
orden_1.htm-id=4&h=1.htm
orden_1.htm-id=5&h=1.htm
up to

or proforma_1.php.htm
up to proforma_1.php-e=s&id=286&h=1.htm

stupid question are these the dynamic php dynamic files? Do I have to translate all of them or just the first one? How to quote this? Or is it just impossible to download a whole dynamic website?

thank you for any answer

warm regards

Noe
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:45
English to French
Dynamic web site Jul 23, 2003

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Dear colleagues,

orden_1.htm,
orden_1.htm-id=3&h=1.htm
orden_1.htm-id=4&h=1.htm
orden_1.htm-id=5&h=1.htm
up to

or proforma_1.php.htm
up to proforma_1.php-e=s&id=286&h=1.htm

stupid question are these the dynamic php dynamic files? Do I have to translate all of them or just the first one? How to quote this? Or is it just impossible to download a whole dynamic website?

thank you for any answer

warm regards

Noe

You can NOT download a dynamic web site. A dynamic Web site is a web site that is created based on the user interaction.

To understand the concept, take Google. You go there, and you just see a blanc page with a search box and a few links. Type something in the search box and it create a page on the fly, based on the database's content and the user query.

To translate a dynamic web site, the owner need to send you the files. If he doesn't know what to send, ask to get in touch with the Webmaster. That guy knows what you need.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:45
English to German
+ ...
You better ask your client to send you the files to translate Jul 23, 2003

.htm files are not dynamic, they could only be the output of a program.

"Teleport pro" seems to be pretty good (thanks for the tip, I will try it), but to ensure that you get the complete text you better ask your client to send it.
You also should think about how your client can reintegrate the translation into his program.

[Edited at 2003-07-23 16:31]

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Teleport Pro and Webbudget Jul 23, 2003

Thank you Harry,

meanwhile I tried to download the same page with Webbudget which gives a number of htm and php files. Apparently Teleport downloads all the htm files generated from the php file and Webbudget takes just the php file.

Yes, I have to think how to reintegrate it into the website.

cheers

Noe

erudite (X)
erudite (X)
Local time: 11:45
French to English
+ ...
Sylver is quite right Jul 23, 2003

You definitely need to get the files from your client. I always ask for them on disc so that you and the client are sure of the version you are working on (if the site has already gone live in the original language it may be subject to some updating). Also I always charge by the hour. If the client is going to provide you with strings of code you may find that the editable text is deeply embedded and so, even if you are using a tag editor, it could take you a long time to even find the words ... See more
You definitely need to get the files from your client. I always ask for them on disc so that you and the client are sure of the version you are working on (if the site has already gone live in the original language it may be subject to some updating). Also I always charge by the hour. If the client is going to provide you with strings of code you may find that the editable text is deeply embedded and so, even if you are using a tag editor, it could take you a long time to even find the words you need to translate. If you are unfamiliar with code I would advise you to go carefully; it might be wise to ask the client to provide you with the editable text already extracted from the strings. I might be stating the obvious here too but remember that when translating a website you aren't just translating the words visible on the screen but also those that will be generated as error messages or other pop-ups.
Good luck.
Rachel
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
never download dynamic website by yourself Jul 24, 2003

thank you sylver, erudite,

static webpages are becoming less and less, so need for these download tools anymore.

cheers

Noe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

quoting a dynamic website ?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »