投稿者: ST Translations
Radica Schenck
Radica Schenck  Identity Verified
ドイツ
Local time: 13:34
英語 から マケドニア語
+ ...
red shovel May 4, 2007

well, it was like a traffic light switching between red and green but why a shovel - for a split second I thought of a CAT tool. guess gotta go back to work, and it's not midnight yet:)

I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

[Edited at 2007-05-04 20:55]

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:34
英語 から スペイン語
+ ...
Numbers in one language, words in another... May 4, 2007

Henrik Pipoyan wrote:

I wonder if anyone counting in a language other than English would think of "red hammer".

I think this is because the last figure is phonetically associated with "red" and "hammer". At the very end you see once the figure 123 and pronounce twice the word "hundred":

hundRED > red
hundred > hammer

Very similar

This is just a guess

Your reasoning sounds good (didn't think of it that way)

BUT

I was doing the math in Spanish, then read the question in English and thought of "red hammer" in English...

and I still want to know WHY?????

[Edited at 2007-05-04 21:03]

Katy Plokarz
Katy Plokarz
ドイツ語 から フランス語
+ ...
ordinary ? May 4, 2007

Sanmar wrote:

Weird..I wonder what it means, apart from the fact that I seem to be among the 'ordinary few'?

[Edited at 2007-05-04 20:34]

You're not alone

Katy

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
スペイン
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Er May 4, 2007

... doesn't a computer count as a tool?

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
フランス
フランス語 から ヒンディー語
+ ...
No Red Hammer for me May 5, 2007

Well, guess I'm strange...

I thought of "pink wordfast"

Don't say that wordfast is not a tool... it is

But I've never seen pink wordfast.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 07:34
2000に入会
ギリシャ語 から 英語
+ ...
red hammer May 5, 2007

I thought of a red hammer but I have no idea why. I 've never even seen a red hammer in my life! (Has anyone else?) So I thought to myself, what a stupid answer, but it's just a game, I'll stick to it, nobody has to know! I scrolled down, and there it was, "red hammer". I was shocked!

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Red Hammer May 5, 2007

me too!! But I know why: I cannot stand math and I see "red" when I have to calculate for nothing, and I also need a hammer to smash the numbers

And by the way, it's funny 'cause I calculated in Italian, but I thought of a red hammer in English...

I'd love to have an explanation other than mine!

[Modificato alle 2007-05-05 05:48]

[Modificato alle 2007-05-05 05:49]

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
スペイン
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
red hammer May 5, 2007

I was surprised, too, that this is the "usual" answer. I have no idea why it popped into my mind--the color red is not my favorite by any means, and I can't remember the last time I used a hammer (whereas I use gardening tools several times a week). Weird...

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 06:34
2013に入会
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
pink saw!! May 5, 2007

oh boy, I must really be out of the mainstream to think of a pink saw!!!

Branka Stankovic McCarthy
Branka Stankovic McCarthy  Identity Verified
セルビア
英語 から セルビア語
+ ...
We must have a 'thing' for shovels May 5, 2007

in this part of the world.

Red shovel too and don't ask me why.

Radica Schenck wrote:

well, it was like a traffic light switching between red and green but why a shovel - for a split second I thought of a CAT tool. guess gotta go back to work, and it's not midnight yet:)

I wish you all a wonderful weekend!

[Edited at 2007-05-04 20:55]

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
ドイツ
メンバー
英語 から トルコ語
+ ...
Funny May 5, 2007

I did the maths in Turkish (I suppose everyone did in their mother tongue), then my mind switched to English when reading the last sentence (well, it was in English after all), I thought of a "red pen" and in a split second I switched to "red hammer", before scrolling down to read the result. (Hmm, perhaps I anticipated social pressure and quickly gave in)

I've to add, though, color means red to me; when I need to thin
... See more
I did the maths in Turkish (I suppose everyone did in their mother tongue), then my mind switched to English when reading the last sentence (well, it was in English after all), I thought of a "red pen" and in a split second I switched to "red hammer", before scrolling down to read the result. (Hmm, perhaps I anticipated social pressure and quickly gave in)

I've to add, though, color means red to me; when I need to think of a color, I think of red. Pen is also understandable, as I have a bunch of them next to my monitor right now. But hammer? Interesting. Henrik's explanation sounds very reasonable, but Giuseppina has just read my mind
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
ドイツ
ドイツ語 から 英語
+ ...
red screwdriver May 5, 2007

and I hate red, weird

Deschant
Deschant
Local time: 12:34
Blue spanner May 5, 2007

A blue spanner, just like Anabel : )

Ben Gaia
Ben Gaia  Identity Verified
ニュージーランド
Local time: 23:34
フランス語 から 英語
+ ...
red hammer! May 9, 2007

Unbelievable! It was a plastic child's hammer, cos how many red hammers have you really seen in your life?

ST Translations
ST Translations
英国
Local time: 12:34
フランス語 から 英語
TOPIC STARTER
Red hammer May 10, 2007

Wierd isn't it?!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bit of light relief - fun test

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »