Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: Most boring translation ever?
Thread poster: Jon O (X)
Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
German to English
Maintenance schedules for powerplants Mar 4, 2007

Boring, repetitive, and not in electronic format (2nd and 3rd generation copies, so not OCR-scannable for eventual processing with a CAT tool).

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:38
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Powers of attorney Mar 4, 2007

The most utterly boring are those powers of attorney that for several pages list all the things the proxy can do on behalf of the issuer - often in an unending sentence - and ends with something like "and anything else considered necessary". So why bother with the endless list? Why not just say that the proxy can do anything that is considered necessary? Ah, lawyers ...
Regards,
Jenny.

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
legalese Mar 4, 2007

Anything that is any way legal/financial... I can't cope with the boredom. I find it tedious in English. Even if I had no other job on all week, I wouldn't touch it.

Some of the govt reports I have to do into Gaelic can be a bit depressing/boring, purely because I *know* nobody will ever read the translation. But that's another story

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
Local time: 23:38
German to Polish
+ ...
any marketing .ppt, especially in painful Denglish Mar 4, 2007

aaw! yawn! grunz!

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Because... Mar 5, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Ah, lawyers ...
Regards,
Jenny.

I suppose my party of the first party would say that your party of the second party ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

ENOUGH!!

LET'S GO PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
CVs Mar 5, 2007

I LOATHE AND DETEST translating CVs, especially those of recently graduated medical professionals, which normally arrive as a badly scanned PDF and list every single training course, conference, seminar, and congress they've ever attended, every single paper they've ever worked on, every single clinic they've ever spent a week's work experience at... you get the picture. They go on for pages and pages, and the only marginally interesting thing about them is how many typos they contain - not only... See more
I LOATHE AND DETEST translating CVs, especially those of recently graduated medical professionals, which normally arrive as a badly scanned PDF and list every single training course, conference, seminar, and congress they've ever attended, every single paper they've ever worked on, every single clinic they've ever spent a week's work experience at... you get the picture. They go on for pages and pages, and the only marginally interesting thing about them is how many typos they contain - not only in any bits written in English, but in the Italian bits too! Personally, I wouldn't employ anyone who couldn't even spellcheck his own CV before sending it out... The temptation to stick some errors in the English version is only just resistable!

In contrast, the CVs of Department Heads are rarely more than one page long: "publications: 150 articles in national and international peer-reviewed journals" says it all.
Collapse

Derek Gill Franßen
Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Textbook on German Tax Law Mar 5, 2007

Not only was it some of the most boring stuff I have ever encountered, there were about 350 pages of it - it almost did me in.

annemarie dewachter
annemarie dewachter  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
amen Mar 6, 2007

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

The IAS, boredom of all boredoms.

Amen to that! I really don't like financial translations, that is why I forward them to my colleague who gets a kick of translating these kinds of texts... thank God!

[Edited at 2007-03-06 12:38]

annemarie dewachter
annemarie dewachter  Identity Verified
Belgium
German to Dutch
+ ...
o dear Mar 6, 2007

Derek Gill Franßen wrote:

Not only was it some of the most boring stuff I have ever encountered, there were about 350 pages of it - it almost did me in.

You poor thing!!!!!!! Must have been an ordeal!

the Train
the Train  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
itemized chart of accounts from Arabic into English Mar 6, 2007

The client wanted a verbal translation to the letter, even if it did not sound like English. There were zillions of the the the and in in in in , loolabaloozaaa

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
urgh, german tax... Mar 7, 2007

My goodness Derek, you poor thing indeed... I think you win this thread!!

Cristina Golab
Cristina Golab  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Telecom Mar 7, 2007

Switchboard software. Endlessly boring!!

Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)
Jan Willem van Dormolen (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
World Cup Soccer Mar 9, 2007

Just before the World Cup of Soccer, a search engine wanted a list of possible search terms people might use to find info on this event.
It went like:
World Cup
World Cup Soccer
Soccer World Cup
World Cup 2006
Soccer Cup 2006
all in all some 1000 terms. If my own country hadn't participated, I would sure not have watched any of it.

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Derek, you get my vote too! Mar 10, 2007

Samuel Hunt
Samuel Hunt  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Medical stuff Mar 19, 2007

EU guidelines for preparing medical products for official testing.

2. Complete inventory of about 20 not-yet-constructed highrise apartment buildings in Prague.

3. 600 pages of patient forms from a surveillance study of some new drug.

If that drug had not been a powerful anti-psychotic for only the most incredibly mentally ill patients out there, then this project would easily have been my #1 on this list.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most boring translation ever?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »