论题张贴者: Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
墨西哥
Local time: 22:20
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Dec 22, 2006

Suppose you received EUR 2000 with the obligation to buy something nice or useful for yourself as a Christmas present.

Do you have any ideas?

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
美国
Local time: 23:20
正式会员 (自2002)
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Easy task Dec 22, 2006

Here is my list:
- navigation system for my car so that I don't need to follow printed out instructions anymore
- getting spoilt in a hairsalon, massage salon, etc.
- going to a resort to relax...do some activities...and just forget about work for a little bit

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
法国
Local time: 06:20
French法语译成English英语
+ ...
What I want Dec 22, 2006

New computer
Woodworking power tools
A workshop to put them in

T.

Irene N
Irene N
美国
Local time: 23:20
English英语译成Russian俄语
+ ...
My suggestion Dec 22, 2006

Assuming that you are all set as far as your electronics needs are concerned, I'd remodel/refurnish a nice sitting area in my place.

My reason - this is a very generous gift and my choice would rest with something tangible, long-lasting and on a festive side, something you'd normally have to delay or think twice before spending your hard-earned money. A permanent holiday:-)

Sure, new furniture is not the only option. All I'm saying is that I would spend it in one place
... See more
Assuming that you are all set as far as your electronics needs are concerned, I'd remodel/refurnish a nice sitting area in my place.

My reason - this is a very generous gift and my choice would rest with something tangible, long-lasting and on a festive side, something you'd normally have to delay or think twice before spending your hard-earned money. A permanent holiday:-)

Sure, new furniture is not the only option. All I'm saying is that I would spend it in one place, in other words, on one expensive project outside of immediate daily needs. Somehow there is always something practical and down-to-earth and trivial that stands on the way of pure fun and pleasure. Remove it for once!

Congratulations, if this is a reality:-)!
Irene
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
加拿大
Local time: 22:20
Dutch荷兰语译成English英语
+ ...
Holiday Dec 22, 2006

A holiday, anywhere with a beach and palm trees and good food.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:20
German德语译成English英语
+ ...
纪念
Is that an offer? Dec 22, 2006

Preference: I'll take an air ticket to Berlin and a few nights at the Adlon Hotel so I can have a few beers and a chat with you, dude.

Reason: your ISP is bouncing my mails again! ;-(

Have a happy Christmas and a cool New Year!

Cheers
Chris

EmmanuelleAn (X)
EmmanuelleAn (X)  Identity Verified
English英语译成French法语
+ ...
I really need that Dec 22, 2006

A new mobile phone and a black designer suit (tailleur pantalon)

Vauwe
Vauwe
English英语译成German德语
+ ...
Biathlon rifle Dec 22, 2006

I would buy a biathlon rifle

Teresa Bento
Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
葡萄牙
Local time: 05:20
English英语译成Portuguese葡萄牙语
+ ...
Mobile Internet! Dec 22, 2006

I'd get a mobile Internet service, so that I could run away from home to work in peace. lol Having a living room/ office can really get on your nerves sometimes.

Also, I'd buy some new sound equipment, for my band

And I'd go spoil myself with the rest of the money, do a shopping spree...

[Edited at 2006-12-22 23:17]

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
English英语译成Croatian克罗地亚语
+ ...
forward the money, ty Dec 23, 2006

Dear Harry, it seems to me that you have a problem spending that money.
I have a solution for you - just forward it to me and we - my wife and myself - will spend it in a jiffy on a well deserved holiday. Anywhere that is cooler than in Perth WA at the moment.
Enjoy the festive season!

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
德国
English英语译成German德语
For you it should be easy Dec 23, 2006

Harry,

if I were you I'd get a luxury shed for that cute duck of yours.

Have a great time everybody!

Ricki (for whom Christmas mostly means the calm days before the Animal Protection Society starts receiving the unwanted small rodents that Santa brought)

Rafal Piasta
Rafal Piasta  Identity Verified
波兰
English英语译成Polish波兰语
+ ...
I would spend all the money for other prozians gifts :) including me too :) Dec 23, 2006

Merry Chrismas to all
Rafal

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
德国
正式会员 (自2004)
English英语译成Slovenian斯洛文尼亚语
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"something nice or useful for yourself"??? Dec 23, 2006

this is usually the time we're supposed to think of others.

So I would give it to charity. Like Advent drive by SZ here in Germany. Or Oxfam, Unicef, Medicins Sans frontieres, Red cross/crescent...

Would make me feel better for feeling good.

Or do you think its finally your turn?

[Edited at 2006-12-23 21:00]

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
波兰
German德语译成Polish波兰语
+ ...
just for myself? Dec 23, 2006

a bit sad it would be to be obliged to spend it all on pressies for myself.

Not that I wouldn't know how to go about it (mind you, half of it would go straight towards getting 2 more pieces to complete the beautiful jewellery set I got for my birthday this year - bless you, E. ) That would be nice.

Certainly, I might also at last decide to get winter tyres for my car, invest in some thorough valett
... See more
a bit sad it would be to be obliged to spend it all on pressies for myself.

Not that I wouldn't know how to go about it (mind you, half of it would go straight towards getting 2 more pieces to complete the beautiful jewellery set I got for my birthday this year - bless you, E. ) That would be nice.

Certainly, I might also at last decide to get winter tyres for my car, invest in some thorough valetting and new paint for the passenger door (thanx, dear neighbour for that lovely huge scratch). That would be useful.

Other than that, I'd like to negotiate the terms and conditions of the gift, so it wouldn't be restricted to pampering myself only.

Lovely topic, by the way

Merry Christmas everyone!
And for 2007, I'd like to wish you to have this type of "problem" not just around Christmas time!

[Edited at 2006-12-23 23:56]
Collapse

Chantal Kamgne
Chantal Kamgne  Identity Verified
加拿大
Local time: 00:20
正式会员 (自2006)
English英语译成French法语
SITE LOCALIZER
A laptop Dec 24, 2006

plus a fantastic weekend somewhere.

Merry christmas!

话题中的页数:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Christmas Present

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »