Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >
Off topic: It's all Greek/Dutch/Chinese to me - which one?
Thread poster: Veronica Lupascu
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 07:38
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Why not? Jun 13, 2022

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

let's not start the necroposting again...

Thanks to this post, I could learn the origin of a similar expression in my native language. We can always learn a thing or two.
If you don't like necroposting that's another story that can be easily solved.

Thomas T. Frost
LIZ LI

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Why not... Jun 13, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

Thanks to this post, I could learn the origin of a similar expression in my native language. We can always learn a thing or two.
If you don't like necroposting that's another story that can be easily solved.

It's a matter of principle: would you like to see this site flooded with very old, irrelevant posts? Is resurrecting a very old post adding anything to the discussion? They stop other more relevant posts being visible. In this thread, there are dead people...

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a linguistic and cultural matter Jun 13, 2022

It's a matter of principle: would you like to see this site flooded with very old, irrelevant posts? Is resurrecting a very old post adding anything to the discussion? They stop other more relevant posts being visible. In this thread, there are dead people...

A matter of principle? What does the principle have to do with this?
No, I don't like to see that, but what is irrelevant to you may not be to me. Well, I added it, but it's not your scope of interest. Anyway, I see far worse things than resurrecting old topics.
I agree, staff deleted interesting posts before. The Diary of Covid, for example!
In this thread there is a colleague who passed away, but obviously it was never my intention to insult his memory.

For information only: at this moment, the first page of the forum shows me 10 old topics (including this one) with new posts.

[Edited at 2022-06-13 20:54 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Anne Maclennan

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Parmesan Jun 13, 2022

I don't like Parmesan, so let's ban it for everybody.

What some consider irrelevant may be considered relevant by others, so is the solution to ban everything that someone finds irrelevant or let people choose what to read and follow? If a topic doesn’t interest me, I just ignore it. I don’t go in and post in it to complain that people are discussing something that doesn’t interest me.

If some people wanted to talk about this particular linguistic matter again, what difference does it make if they start a new thread (in which case those of us who follow forums by email get notified) or continue an older one? They don't prevent the visibility of new threads, and the relevance or irrelevance of the topic is exactly the same. At least it can all be found in one single topic instead of being scattered around in several topics. Or should everybody ask your permission before posting a new topic too in case you find it irrelevant?

Yes, one of the posters in that topic has unfortunately passed away. That's the way we’ll all go. But we usually don't burn or delete everything a person has ever written when they pass away. Libraries are full of dead people's books. Do you go around to libraries and demand that they discard all dead writers’ works to suit your sensibilities? And even if we left the old topics alone, those who have passed away can still be seen on Proz many places, so should we shut down the entire site? What matters is to remain respectful to those who has passed away unless they were nasty people like Mussolini.

And finally, there is no Proz forum rule against reviving an old topic, and it's difficult to see any issue if it is done in a meaningful way and not for provocation. If we had to ban everything someone didn't like, there wouldn't be much left anywhere.

expressisverbis
LIZ LI
Daryo
Anne Maclennan

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Guys... Jun 14, 2022

Yes, it's a matter of principle: courtesy towards other members of the community. If you are happy to see the forums (fora?) swamped with irrelevant posts, fine by me. Have a nice day!

Assaf Rosenkrantz

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:38
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Why irrelevant? Jun 14, 2022

It’s a linguistic discussion, not irrelevant. It’s better than most of the poll questions. It doesn’t matter it’s an old thread, let’s respect some history.

In my language, we say “It’s a Spanish village to me”, just like in German, rather than the expression with Greek. It refers to an unfamiliar or hard situation that’s difficult to understand.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I give up Jun 14, 2022

doesn't seem my message is getting through...

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Courtesy Jun 14, 2022

Yes, it's a matter of principle: courtesy towards other members of the community. If you are happy to see the forums (fora?) swamped with irrelevant posts, fine by me. Have a nice day!

It doesn't seem particularly courteous to me to act like a self-appointed forum police officer, crashing a discussion you are not interested in to tell other members what they can and cannot discuss, making up your own forum rules and trying to enforce them when no one else has been disrespectful.

Incidentally, pølsesnak in Danish literally means 'sausage talk', originally referring to idle or nonsensical chatter at a hot dog stand but used generally to mean nonsense, rubbish. It’s not the same as ‘it’s all Greek to me’, just a funny word.

You are not contributing with anything meaningful to this topic but simply going off topic (which is against the rules). If you believe anybody else than you is violating the forum rules here, please do contact site support or a moderator, but please stop telling others what they can and cannot say, as you have no authority to do so.

expressisverbis

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Courtesy Jun 14, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

It doesn't seem particularly courteous to me to act like a self-appointed forum police officer, crashing a discussion you are not interested in to tell other members what they can and cannot discuss, making up your own forum rules and trying to enforce them when no one else has been disrespectful.

Incidentally, pølsesnak in Danish literally means 'sausage talk', originally referring to idle or nonsensical chatter at a hot dog stand but used generally to mean nonsense, rubbish. It’s not the same as ‘it’s all Greek to me’, just a funny word.

You are not contributing with anything meaningful to this topic but simply going off topic (which is against the rules). If you believe anybody else than you is violating the forum rules here, please do contact site support or a moderator, but please stop telling others what they can and cannot say, as you have no authority to do so.

Your reply is very rude, so I'm not even going to talk to you. Have a nice day and enjoy your pølsesnak.

[Edited at 2022-06-14 09:10 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Concerns etc. Jun 14, 2022

Your concerns re. this topic taking new topics' place in the forum list ungrounded. At least one my end, a newly open topic always comes at the top automatically. Can't blame any of the people who replied to this topic that there are no any new and interesting topics any more.

[Edited at 2022-06-14 09:45 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
About rudeness and idioms Jun 14, 2022

Giovanni, I don't see anyone here who would have been rude to you.
On the contrary, addressing your colleagues who have been posting here recently as "guys" while there are at least more ladies than men and saying your message didn't get through, to me can be considered rude.
First, I am not a "guy" ("gajo" or "pessoal" - btw, very offensive terms in European Portuguese), and I have a name; second, saying your message didn't get through is the same as we say in Portugal "issuing a ce
... See more
Giovanni, I don't see anyone here who would have been rude to you.
On the contrary, addressing your colleagues who have been posting here recently as "guys" while there are at least more ladies than men and saying your message didn't get through, to me can be considered rude.
First, I am not a "guy" ("gajo" or "pessoal" - btw, very offensive terms in European Portuguese), and I have a name; second, saying your message didn't get through is the same as we say in Portugal "issuing a certificate of stupidity" (It's not nice to call your colleagues "dumb" indirectly - it can be interpreted in this way).
Third, if you are disturbed by resurrecting old topics, or if there are topics that aren't interesting to you, it's very simple: just ignore them.
Btw, the idiom discussed on this topic can have its synonyms in a different language register. If I say "não perceber um cu de" it's slang and an informal register, and with this it doesn't mean I am being offensive.
If I have a technical problem and I can see there is an old post about it, am I going to restrain myself not to reopen it just because it's old?
Idiomatic expressions are useful to me, because I do transcreation - maybe something that you don't work with - so, the only thing we can do is to respect each others' interests.

[Edited at 2022-06-14 10:31 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Christopher Schröder

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Very rude... Jun 14, 2022

expressisverbis wrote:

if you don't find calling someone a self-appointed forum police officer rude, I do. I'm out.

Assaf Rosenkrantz
mughwI

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Please stop Jun 14, 2022

Have a nice day

Please stop saying "have a nice day". You don't mean it anyway.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes... Jun 14, 2022

if you don't find calling someone a self-appointed forum police officer rude, I do. I'm out.

... you, Europeans can be very rude.

Assaf Rosenkrantz

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Small correction Jun 15, 2022

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

When traveling to Holland, I heard people saying "It's all Greek to me!", while English (UK) people use "It's all Dutch to me!".

I am from Holland, and I have never heard anybody saying "It's all Greek to me!" We also use, apparently as many countries, "it is all Chinese to me", or literally translated: "It sounds like Chinese to me".

[Edited at 2022-06-15 22:17 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

It's all Greek/Dutch/Chinese to me - which one?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »