Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:36
English to French
+ ...
Aug 19, 2003

Chose promise, chose due.

As an apology for the bad taste of the F...ng jokes, I hereafter present you with love quotes and an amusing anecdote from when I was young(er) and even (more) ignorant...

First, to appease the fire some of the F...g quotes have lit :
"The sound of a kiss is not as loud as a cannon but its echo lasts a great deal longer."
unknown author

One to light up our feminist crowd :
"A man loses his sense of direction aft
... See more
Chose promise, chose due.

As an apology for the bad taste of the F...ng jokes, I hereafter present you with love quotes and an amusing anecdote from when I was young(er) and even (more) ignorant...

First, to appease the fire some of the F...g quotes have lit :
"The sound of a kiss is not as loud as a cannon but its echo lasts a great deal longer."
unknown author

One to light up our feminist crowd :
"A man loses his sense of direction after four drinks ; a woman looses hers after four kisses."

Lastly, one to show the client who has not paid your work that you are a good sport :
"A life’s worth, in the end, isn’t measured in hours, or dollars. It is measured by the amount of love exchanged along the way." (D.C.Means)

The amusing story :

A young immigrant to Calgary, Alberta, the first time I had to see a doctor, I phoned and asked the nurse for a "rendez-vous" with him. Only later did I understand why she chuckled...

In love and friendship
Aude
Collapse

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
the more the merrier... Aug 19, 2003

Almost the same story here:

The first time I went to the UK I was 17: I must have looked and sounded daring indeed when I insisted with the nurse that I really needed a *date* with the dentist, that I really could not leave without it and could not wait any longer...

I still blush when I think about it...

And it must have been the following year that I upset my very British host lady upon my very arrival: I asked her if her husband could *knock me up* th
... See more
Almost the same story here:

The first time I went to the UK I was 17: I must have looked and sounded daring indeed when I insisted with the nurse that I really needed a *date* with the dentist, that I really could not leave without it and could not wait any longer...

I still blush when I think about it...

And it must have been the following year that I upset my very British host lady upon my very arrival: I asked her if her husband could *knock me up* the following morning on his way to work - Of course, I just meant for him to *knock* at my door and wake me *up*...

Risky business, those prepositional verbs

odette Grille-Burgo wrote:

A young immigrant to Calgary, Alberta, the first time I had to see a doctor, I phoned and asked the nurse for a "rendez-vous" with him. Only later did I understand why she chuckled...

Collapse

Richard Benham
Richard Benham  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:36
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Le boulanger.... Aug 20, 2003

I was talking in a German language class about the change in meaning of the French verb "baiser". A French female student started laughing uncontrollably, and recounted the story of a German exchange student in France (a friend of hers). The two girls were walking past a bakery, and the German girl saw some meringues in the window. So she went inside and said to the baker, "Monsieur le boulanger, je voudrais un baiser s'il vous plait...."

RHELLER
RHELLER
United States
Local time: 06:36
French to English
+ ...
potential consequences of expressions Aug 20, 2003

Thanks! Odette and Muja

Who said language is casual? Muja's example of idiomatic expressions shows that they can have long-term consequences

I asked her if her husband could "knock me up" the following morning on his way to work.

Rita

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
German to Italian
+ ...
wow! Aug 20, 2003

Muja wrote:

I asked her if her husband could *knock me up* the following morning on his way to work - Of course, I just meant for him to *knock* at my door and wake me *up*...

[/quote]

LOL! That's a classical tale about the differences between British English and US English. A British teacher of mine (male) told us that he had made a bad impression with an American colleague (female), telling her something like "I'll knock you up tomorrow". So don't worry, mother-tongue teachers can make the same mistake too

xxx xxx
xxx xxx
A little apple Aug 26, 2003

When I was in Spain as a student I happened to suffer from belly ache. My hostess offered me a "manzanilla" which I declined saying that I did not think an apple would help...

I guess we all could contribute endlessly to this topic

Cheers,

Diane

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:36
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's... Aug 27, 2003

Cheers,

Diane[/quote]
Thanks Diane
\"I guess we all could contribute endlessly to this topic\"
And hopefully we shall...
Aude

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The other four letter word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »