DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
Georgian to English
+ ...
Nice turn of phrase, but it doesn't fit what has been said.. Jun 18, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

...on the one hand, we have those who think it's bad form for a translation agency to boast of linguistic perfection when they're clearly not perfect. And on the other hand we have those who think mediocrity is ok because after all, we're only human and prone to make mistakes, so let's be proud of it, and splrinkle it with who-are-we-to-judge remarks and all.

Nice.

[Edited at 2003-06-18 14:12]

I would be slow to suggest anyone here "thinks mediocrity is ok", myself included.

[Edited at 2003-06-19 06:27]

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
and on the other hand Jun 18, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

...on the one hand, we have those who think it's bad form for a translation agency to boast of linguistic perfection when they're clearly not perfect. And on the other hand we have those who think mediocrity is ok because after all, we're only human and prone to make mistakes, so let's be proud of it, and sprinkle it with who-are-we-to-judge remarks and all.

Nice.

[Edited at 2003-06-18 19:51]

we have you, the perfection no? as you say on one hand we have and on the other we have.
And mediocrity is very hard, only a mistake is not a reason to say mediocrity.

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
English to French
Mr. Perfect, Jun 19, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

...on the one hand, we have those who think it's bad form for a translation agency to boast of linguistic perfection when they're clearly not perfect. And on the other hand we have those who think mediocrity is ok because after all, we're only human and prone to make mistakes, so let's be proud of it, and sprinkle it with who-are-we-to-judge remarks and all.

Nice.

If I am not abused, your web site is www.xlation.com, or so says your profile page.

The main page contains the following mistakes:

"Offereing"; "mesages".

And that's only the part in the middle! Front page! 160 words!

Are YOU perfect? Yes sir! was your previous answer. Would you perhaps reconsider?

I hold nothing against you personally, and, by the way, your web site is great. I did not want it to come to that, but I am sick and tired to hear BULLSHIT. I am sick and tired to hear people trying to pretend that THEY don't make mistakes just because they are scared it might hurt their repute.

Now, please. Can we end off this thread? We all know that mistakes can (and do) happen.

A howler is defined as an error "so absurd, ridiculous, or exaggerated as to cause or merit laughter."(Webster)

Howlers ARE fun. Please by all means, keep on posting those you find. On the other hand, I would appreciate if those amongst us which are "perfect" could understand that not everyone here is up to their magnificent standards, and demonstrate their ineffable lenience by avoiding to quote every single typo they find in today's commercial litterature.

Amen.

Cheers,
Sylvain

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Missing the point Jun 19, 2003

sylver wrote:
"Offereing"; "mesages".

You totally missed the point.

Contrary to what the translation agency we are discussing implies, I have never said I'm perfect nor have I ever said I never make mistakes.

BTW, attacking the person instead of discussing the issue at hand is a common falacy, otherwise known as an ad-hominem attack.

I mean... really...

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What follows... Jun 19, 2003

Elías Sauza wrote:

Let's assume that a native translator's translation work has a grammar flaw which is not a mere mistake but an error (determined by his or her limited linguistic competence or performance), and agree that grammar errors are inexcusable, and that they must not be tolerated, and that they must be penalized. Then, what follows? What should the translation world do against the subject in question? Teach him in spite of his or her challenged linguistic competence or performance? Or punish him or her for not having had a proper development of his or her Chomskian little black box? Or make him or her disappear from the face of the Earth?

For me, personally, this discussion has strengthened my determination to ensure quality and perfection (as near as possible) in all my writing. I have no desire to punish or berate others for their mistakes, rather I keep striving to offer a better alternative.

George, I share your views about the shibboleth of "it's/its", but unlike Dr. Burchfield, I think the distinction should be maintained--I am against dumbing down the language... where would it end?

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
English to French
Sure... Jun 19, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

sylver wrote:
"Offereing"; "mesages".

You totally missed the point.

Contrary to what the translation agency we are discussing implies, I have never said I'm perfect nor have I ever said I never make mistakes.

BTW, attacking the person instead of discussing the issue at hand is a common falacy, otherwise known as an ad-hominem attack.

I mean... really...

Of course, you did not mean that, right?

Your original post was:

Perhaps would you be so kind to explain me what we were supposed to understand from that.

Because in the context of this thread, so far as my limited understanding goes, it seems to me that you are accusing me (and the other guys defending the fact that we all make mistakes) to advocate mediocrity as a standard, which, by way of consequence, implies that you, yourself, do not fall in that category, and are not prone to consider that an occasional mistake may - and does - occur.

This is what I gathered from your original post. You may say that I "missed the point", but other reactions to your post tend to indicate I am not the only one who interpreted your post that way.

It was therefore relevant to point out that despite your position in this thread, you were also prone to mistakes.

The agency concerned, based on the first post of this thread, did not advertise "perfect translations", but only described its proofreading process, and was mocked because somewhere at the end of their brochure, there was a typo.

This is definitely ridiculous.

Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
United States
Local time: 05:25
Russian to English
Shibboleths Jun 19, 2003

I think that if the "its/it's" shibboleth were to go away, some other one would spring up in its place (yes, its place). We are, as human creatures, constantly looking for indicators of social status - and spelling and grammar definitely qualify. And I'm not sure that a translation client would want his/her text to make him/her appear uneducated, illiterate, or low-status.

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:25
Georgian to English
+ ...
I think what........ Jun 19, 2003

aggravated me to begin with, was the original , "Checking out the competition (and feeling good)
OR: I'll think twice before sending my CV to this agency", heading. For me it seemed to be offering the same unwise hostage to fortune as the agency & its(!) (reported) boast of superhuman perfection - if it was making such a boast. I have no reason to think other than that everyone who wrote here cares about doing a good job, and that you Goodwords did so just as much BEFORE you saw this silly
... See more
aggravated me to begin with, was the original , "Checking out the competition (and feeling good)
OR: I'll think twice before sending my CV to this agency", heading. For me it seemed to be offering the same unwise hostage to fortune as the agency & its(!) (reported) boast of superhuman perfection - if it was making such a boast. I have no reason to think other than that everyone who wrote here cares about doing a good job, and that you Goodwords did so just as much BEFORE you saw this silly mistake in the website.

[Edited at 2003-06-19 18:50]
Collapse

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
On mistakes and typos Jun 19, 2003

sylver wrote:
d was mocked because somewhere at the end of their brochure, there was a typo.

This is definitely ridiculous. [/quote]

Indeed it is.

Such mistake should not be in their brochure.

I'm glad we agree.

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
no, you do not understand Jun 19, 2003

Dyran Altenburg wrote:

sylver wrote:
d was mocked because somewhere at the end of their brochure, there was a typo.

This is definitely ridiculous.

Indeed it is.

Such mistake should not be in their brochure.

I'm glad we agree.[/quote]
What is definitely ridiculous is opening a topic in a forum for a mistake in a brochure.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality at it's best - error in agency brochure

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »