Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Do translators use translation tools in the translation process?
Thread poster: lokally
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:42
Member (2008)
Italian to English
clearly, you're not an experienced translator Sep 5, 2022

lokally wrote:

I see that many translators now use translation tools to draft the translation first and then they just need to proofread the documents. That will be much faster, but I still want to ask professional translators that should we translate that way to save time?

Clearly, you're not an experienced translator. What you call "just proofreading" is the most arduous and time-consuming part of any translation job. It is this where the translator's real skill is required. You seem to think it's just touching up what the CAT tool did.

Get some more experience before you start opining on these matters. At the moment you're in over your head.

[Edited at 2022-09-05 12:13 GMT]

expressisverbis
Daryo
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Christine Andersen
finnword1

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 13:42
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
"Marketing Executive" Sep 5, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

Clearly, you're not an experienced translator. What you call "just proofreading" is the most arduous and time-consuming part of any translation job. It is this where the translator's real skill is required. You seem to think it's just touching up what the CAT tool did.

No, the original poster is a Marketing Executive according to his/her profile.
A professional or experienced translator wouldn't ask such a question.
For many who don't know it, proofreading seems like a pretty easy task, but it takes more time and effort than a quick last read-through.

P.S.: And for those who still don't know what a CAT tool is, I will repeat: a computer-aided translation tool does not do the work of translators, or replaces their brain.

[Edited at 2022-09-05 13:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-09-05 21:06 GMT]

Christine Andersen

Qiujie Kong
Qiujie Kong
Australia
Local time: 22:12
Chinese
dictionary? Sep 7, 2022

During translation process, sometime I use Casio dictionary. but it depends on the situation, if the background I am not sure, especially for different cultures, I will do some search. Google might be required,

Qiujie

Panopticon
Panopticon
Spain
Local time: 14:42
Member (2012)
Spanish to English
First there was the pencil... Sep 8, 2022

...then came the pen, and then the typewriter; at this point the typewriter became a keyboard and the piece of paper became nothing more than an image on a screen (crazy when you think about it), then the keyboard-image combo was augmented by the introduction of CAT tools with translation memories taking centre stage, and then translation memories were superseded by machine translation and post-editing; finally, machine translation - along with all other human professions - was rendered obsolete... See more
...then came the pen, and then the typewriter; at this point the typewriter became a keyboard and the piece of paper became nothing more than an image on a screen (crazy when you think about it), then the keyboard-image combo was augmented by the introduction of CAT tools with translation memories taking centre stage, and then translation memories were superseded by machine translation and post-editing; finally, machine translation - along with all other human professions - was rendered obsolete during the Great AI Singularity of 2072.

And at every stage there was somebody in the background complaining that not doing things the way they had been done previously just wasn't cricket.
Collapse

Kay Denney
Jorge Payan
expressisverbis
Baran Keki
David Jessop

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do translators use translation tools in the translation process?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »