Transitioning from student to professional: Italian translator's rate for a play.
Thread poster: Iaeli Anselmo
Iaeli Anselmo
Iaeli Anselmo
United States
Local time: 22:43
Italian
Apr 19, 2022

Hi everyone,
I've been asked to translate from English into Italian few theatrical plays, but I don't how much I should charge for. I'm transitioning from student to professional and this is going to be my first job. I have a background in acting and this would be my field.
The job is not for a company, but for an individual and I live in Los Angeles.
Every play is between 30-120 pages, the deadlines are flexible.
That's all the info I have at the moment.
How much
... See more
Hi everyone,
I've been asked to translate from English into Italian few theatrical plays, but I don't how much I should charge for. I'm transitioning from student to professional and this is going to be my first job. I have a background in acting and this would be my field.
The job is not for a company, but for an individual and I live in Los Angeles.
Every play is between 30-120 pages, the deadlines are flexible.
That's all the info I have at the moment.
How much should I ask for? How much time is usually considered appropriate for this kind of work?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Iaeli Apr 19, 2022

Are you sure this isn’t a scam? How did this individual find you? Is he/she the author of the plays? Do you know him/her? Please be extremely careful because scammers are always looking for newbies.

P.L.F. Persio
Robert Rietvelt
Jorge Payan

Iaeli Anselmo
Iaeli Anselmo
United States
Italian
TOPIC STARTER
@teresa Apr 19, 2022

I answered a post on facebook (about people that live in LA), she was asking for help. I think she probably wants to produce these plays and doesn't know that can be costly. I ended up asking for $0.11 a word after checking the rate tab here on Proz.
How is the best way to ask for a payment? In the future should I ask for some money in advance?
Sorry for the ingenuity of the questions, but as I said, I just started approaching the profession.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:43
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Iaeli Apr 19, 2022

I usually don’t accept long projects from new clients. I always try to start out with smallish projects, test the waters, build confidence, evaluate their working practices and then decide what to do: continue or not. Regarding payment, you should either require monthly instalments according to what you deliver or 25% as advance payment on the date of the order and the remaining within 30 days from the date of delivery. Be extremely careful with the so-called overpayment scam. You’ll find on... See more
I usually don’t accept long projects from new clients. I always try to start out with smallish projects, test the waters, build confidence, evaluate their working practices and then decide what to do: continue or not. Regarding payment, you should either require monthly instalments according to what you deliver or 25% as advance payment on the date of the order and the remaining within 30 days from the date of delivery. Be extremely careful with the so-called overpayment scam. You’ll find on Proz lots of posts about these scams…Collapse

Esther Dodo
Iaeli Anselmo
P.L.F. Persio
Robert Rietvelt

Iaeli Anselmo
Iaeli Anselmo
United States
Italian
TOPIC STARTER
@teresa Apr 19, 2022

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

Iaeli

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transitioning from student to professional: Italian translator's rate for a play.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »