How to start (Denmark) - what to do? what Software? And else?
Thread poster: Barbara Gottschalk
Barbara Gottschalk
Barbara Gottschalk
Denmark
Local time: 08:42
Danish to German
+ ...
Mar 11, 2022

Hi!
I have been working as a translator for a while but never had to use any software. Now my biggest client doesn't have much work anymore and i have to find new clients.
Would you recommend me to invest in a software to have more options - or is it not that necessary? And if yes, how can i get it cheap (super tiny budget at the moment)? And can i learn it without a tutor?
Which platforms are good for me? My translation pair is DANISH-GERMAN... So many questions!...
See more
Hi!
I have been working as a translator for a while but never had to use any software. Now my biggest client doesn't have much work anymore and i have to find new clients.
Would you recommend me to invest in a software to have more options - or is it not that necessary? And if yes, how can i get it cheap (super tiny budget at the moment)? And can i learn it without a tutor?
Which platforms are good for me? My translation pair is DANISH-GERMAN... So many questions!

I hope someone has a good tip for me!

Best
Barbara
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Start without it Mar 11, 2022

Barbara Gottschalk wrote:
Would you recommend me to invest in a software to have more options?

You can start out without any CAT tools. Simply tell the clients that you do not have a CAT tool but that you are willing to work on CAT tool files in an exported format. The clients can then export the files for you to e.g. Word files. Eventually you're going to have to get a CAT tool, but you can save up for it. In the mean time, visit the Blue Board and contact as many agencies as you can.

Mr. Satan (X)
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to start (Denmark) - what to do? what Software? And else?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »