Anna A. K.
Anna A. K.  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:59
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Daniel Frisano Feb 11, 2022

I'll go out on a limb and guess that those who insist in you turning your camera on are generally male specimens. Am I wrong?

No, that's not the case. Both times it was a female. And I simply said my camera is out of order ;/

Lingua 5B
Gerard Barry

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nice catch lol Feb 11, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:
I simply said my camera is out of order ;/

Personally, I don’t mind videoconferencing with reliable trusted contacts provided it’s structured and the time is used effectively. The problem is 1) it’s never asked from reliable contacts and 2) the time use is never structured and efficient during such conferences.

Some of my worst experiences are with clients who enjoyed phone contacts and were quite amicable on the phone or enjoying long talks. Almost like those annoying telemarketers who want to sell you a cheaply made vacuum cleaner, they are also very amicable on the phone. That doesn’t mean the overall experience will be good or positive.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 15:47 GMT]

Adieu
Anna A. K.

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
You shouldn't be traying to work with agencies that do not respect your time in the first place! Feb 11, 2022

Anna1307 wrote:

Joe France wrote:

This doesn't mean brown-nosing or laughing at all the PM's jokes, but rather building a relationship on a human level. From conversations with friends who are PMs, and from my dealings with some other translators, it's quite common in our line of work for people to have poor interpersonal skills or, perhaps, for people to be unable to express these skills via email. Just like a job interview - and, I know, we're freelancers, not employees - a video call is an opportunity for a client to get to know you. Do you seem reliable? Could you strike up a rapport? Does it seem like you actually want to work for them? Aside from all that, I've always found that you catch more more flies with honey than vinegar.

I understand what you mean, but time is a valuable resource that I don't like to give away freely, not in my private life and especially not in my professional life. I have a problem with people who don't respect other people's time. I am not an employee, I am a freelancer. Those people don't seem to get that, our time is worth something. If they assess my skills and my test gets approved, and they have my references in the resume, if they have doubts about my reputation, there is no need for any "hanging around on Zoom" in my opinion.

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-10 14:11 GMT]

The problem seems to be deeper than just whether to agree to a video interview as part of the onboarding process. You shouldn't even be trying to work with agencies that don't respect you, your profession, your time,..., and/or want to treat you like an employee.

You are a freelance translator and the world is your oyster as much as any agency's. They can have their pick of freelance translators (and find people who will put up with all the shenanigans you've mentioned) and you can have your pick of agencies and choose to work with only the professional ones.

There are still some very decent agencies out there, you don't have to waste your time on people who make you jump through hoops and there is only a potential of a job on the table.

Why wouldn't you spend 15 minutes of your life talking to a VM or PM if they have already picked you for a well-paid project with a reasonable deadline? Why would you even be in any sort of onboarding process with anyone who seems less than professional?

If we want to be treated like freelancers we must stop acting like employees and if we want to be treated like serious professionals then we must have serious professionals on the other side of the line of communication. No matter which particular technology that line might be.

You obviously already know all this, that's why you are annoyed. Yes, say no to video interviews with agencies you've described but also stop trying to work with them altogether! I completely agree that your time is the most valuable resource and it shouldn't be wasted, in your private or professional life, on people with poor professional or personal attitudes.

Edit: Even the very fact that a person annoys you is a good enough reason not to try and work with them! Maybe they are a professional in their own right but clearly not a good match for you! I am completely on board (to coin a phrase:)) with you taking back the power from these VMs.

[Edited at 2022-02-11 19:53 GMT]

Anna A. K.

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Korana Lasić Feb 12, 2022

Why wouldn't you spend 15 minutes of your life talking to a VM or PM if they have already picked you for a well-paid project with a reasonable deadline? Why would you even be in any sort of onboarding process with anyone who seems less than professional?

Exactly! I was not sure if that is a common thing PMs do and if it is "okay" for me to be annoyed. But I realize that I may have been to nice in the past and I should have made it more clear that I am not interested in these calls, unless they really have a point.

If we want to be treated like freelancers we must stop acting like employees and if we want to be treated like serious professionals then we must have serious professionals on the other side of the line of communication. No matter which particular technology that line might be.

I agree with you. And your words really opened my eyes to my struggles. I am frustrated because those requests made me feel as if I were an employee all over again. But the most important reason why I became a freelancer was to gain freedom from BS and be my own boss. Even if it means losing some jobs.

Thank you so much!

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-12 14:10 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2022-02-12 14:12 GMT]

Korana Lasić
Gerard Barry

Korana Lasić
Korana Lasić  Identity Verified
Serbian to English
+ ...
You are most welcome! :heart: :rose: :flower: :smile: Feb 12, 2022

More importantly, you certainly have a point! An hour of your time just for a video call as part of a generic onboarding process with only a potential of a job! No, not common or standard practice in any way!

You've got this! Do what feels right for you and don't be afraid to walk away from those who look to you like a waste of your time! More likely than not you are right and no valuable projects will ever come out of any agency that's run in such an oblivious way! The best agencie
... See more
More importantly, you certainly have a point! An hour of your time just for a video call as part of a generic onboarding process with only a potential of a job! No, not common or standard practice in any way!

You've got this! Do what feels right for you and don't be afraid to walk away from those who look to you like a waste of your time! More likely than not you are right and no valuable projects will ever come out of any agency that's run in such an oblivious way! The best agencies out there use email as their main means of communication, give clear instructions and detailed POs, are upfront about their payment terms and business practices, pay on time or even pay earlier than the set payment terms...etc You will know them by their good business practices! Do not be discouraged by poorly run agencies, there are still some very professional agencies, PMs, and VMs out there. If you just persevere at this, you will almost inevitably find each other!

Just show up every day, do your professional best, and listen to your instincts!
Collapse

Anna A. K.

Anna A. K.
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
@Korana Lasić Feb 12, 2022

You've got this! Do what feels right for you and don't be afraid to walk away from those who look to you like a waste of your time! More likely than not you are right and no valuable projects will ever come out of any agency that's run in such an oblivious way!

Thanks dear, for being so kind and helpful!

Korana Lasić

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unnecessary annoying zoom meetings

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »