Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 13:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
survival 的确是关于生存的意思 Sep 15, 2013

原文有下面的句子:

It could be that nature is simply not selecting for happiness in mammals because it isn’t useful for survival.

In meditation, for the first time I felt the happiness of being at ease; I was released from the compulsion of the most primal of instincts as well as from my personal likes and dislikes.

可以看出作者的原意指的是生存。这里应该是用作形容词,大意是为生存而焦虑的大脑。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Zhoudan is right Sep 15, 2013

I don't think people should be encouraged to ask for help for a sample test. It's a TEST after all.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sorry! Sep 15, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

It's a no win situation for me. Need I say more?

It could be that nature is simply not selecting for happiness in mammals because it isn’t useful for survival. At those times when you are feeling happy you won’t be on the alert for trouble and therefore your life will be in jeopardy.

That was just my guess. After reading the entire original text, I quickly realized that I was wrong.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Fatigued Sep 15, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

J.H.,

It's a no win situation for me. Need I say more?

It could be that nature is simply not selecting for happiness in mammals because it isn’t useful for survival. At those times when you are feeling happy you won’t be on the alert for trouble and therefore your life will be in jeopardy.

That was just my guess. After reading the entire original text, I quickly realized that I was wrong.

J.H.

There's nothing to be sorry about. I'm just about worn out of this forum, to tell you the truth.

BTW, you're one of the better ones that have something under the belt. And I can see how this can come across as condescending in Western culture, but I'm just being honest.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
So, let's begin to meditate! Sep 15, 2013

wherestip wrote:

There's nothing to be sorry about. I'm just about worn out of this forum, to tell you the truth.

I agree with the author of the article above that a life without meditation can't be truly happy.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Meditation Sep 15, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

I agree with the author of the article above that a life without meditation can't be truly happy.

That, for my age, is probably a big waste of time. Plus I am no Buddhist. Yet I have plenty of inner-peace.

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
I mean we young people. Sep 15, 2013

wherestip wrote:

J.H. Wang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

That, for my age, is probably a big waste of time. Plus I am no Buddhist. Yet I have plenty of inner-peace.

It's the young people like me that do need a quiet and deep meditation!

[Edited at 2013-09-15 12:25 GMT]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
English Comprehension Sep 15, 2013

J.H. Wang wrote:

It's the young people like me that do need a quiet and deep meditation!

J.H.,

Rest assured that I don't get offended easily, contrary to what some of the past exchanges in this forum might seem on the surface.

All I can say is the level of competence needs to drastically improve. This I completely agree with Phil's assessment of yore.

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My fault。。。 Sep 15, 2013

My fault...我没有仔细看原文——eliminating the false idea of ‘I’ or ‘self.’——NOT " without "I" and "self"."仔细想了想,应该就是指——用以生存的大脑才会清净安定下来。thank you!我以为去掉self就剩下(幸存下)survival brain....应该是指消除错误的自私观点,形成大我,或者万物归一之类的思想,然后用以生存的大脑才会清净安定下来。
J.H. Wang wrote:

原文有下面的句子:

It could be that nature is simply not selecting for happiness in mammals because it isn’t useful for survival.

In meditation, for the first time I felt the happiness of being at ease; I was released from the compulsion of the most primal of instincts as well as from my personal likes and dislikes.

可以看出作者的原意指的是生存。这里应该是用作形容词,大意是为生存而焦虑的大脑。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
我没有仔细看原文 Sep 15, 2013

Kemp9 wrote:

我没有仔细看原文

Do you think anyone believes that?

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Honesty and integrity ought to be fostered in the forum Sep 15, 2013

The "little white lies" are finally starting to get to me after all these years. I think I'll take a break for a little while.

I'll probably still drop in from time to time. Good luck, everyone.

[Edited at 2013-09-15 15:37 GMT]

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
Interesting problem Sep 15, 2013

新来的朋友,欢迎!但是,建议你在发帖子之前,先“仔细看”,自己多琢磨几下。

wherestip 的版本很好,但你提出来的问题其实很有意思。英文很喜欢这种缩短的照应(如:the ugly man who punched me...the ugly man...he,都指代同一个对象,但变得越来越短),跟中文的语言习惯不同。

这个实例是一种很极端的缩短照应。下面的两段:
Scientists have done experiments on the standard mammalian brain and found that it is not built for happiness. It functions so that, as neurologist Melvin Konner explains, “the organism’s chronic internal state will be a vague mixture of anxiety and desire—best described by the phrase ‘I want,’ spoken with or without an object for the verb.” Surely you are familiar with that brain, having seen it up close and personal, always twitching with dissatisfaction, never at peace.
It could be that nature is simply not selecting for happiness in mammals because it isn’t useful for survival. At those times when you are feeling happy you won’t be on the alert for trouble and therefore your life will be in jeopardy. The anxious people turn out to be the lucky ones, likely to live a long life. Sure, it will be unhappy, but at least it will be long.

被缩成:
the survival brain

怎么处理呢?直接用英文的方法好像不行:生存的脑袋谁看得懂?所以要加更多信息,让它清晰的连接到前面的两段。用词要一致,也要准确地反映前两段的精神。

“经优胜劣汰的考验,为生存一直挣扎的人类大脑”?

Jinhang Wang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for your advice! Sep 15, 2013

wherestip wrote:

Honesty and integrity ought to be fostered in the forum

[Edited at 2013-09-15 15:37 GMT]

I totally agree with you here. That is really a problem not only in this forum, but also beyond.

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
又试一次 Sep 16, 2013

这样让脑子少为生存挣扎,让自我少沉迷于自己的偏好。

我对这种题材很有兴趣,因为英美民间的心理学概念与中国普遍承认的心理学概念不同,所以把原意转过来很难。是个很有意义的翻译练习!

Kemp9
Kemp9
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Honest Sep 16, 2013

我真的沒說謊。。。,有人那麼說,我突然覺得對上頭了,竟然沒看原文,然後再看,才發現原文說idea of I, 而不是直接的I。

wherestip wrote:

Kemp9 wrote:

我没有仔细看原文

Do you think anyone believes that?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对于“turned down",是不是这样翻译最符合原文?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »