Thread poster: Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.
Noha Kamal, PhD.  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 22, 2007

Hello guys,

I just took a seven-question survey about an automotive brand name. Now my client is asking how much I would charge? any ideas?

Thanks!

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Your minimum charge Jan 22, 2007

It is wise to establish a "minimum charge" that you can apply to small jobs of any type. The amount will vary depending on your market parameters, but the concept is the same.

Waleed Mohamed
Waleed Mohamed  Identity Verified
United Arab Emirates
Local time: 05:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
I have similar client... Jan 22, 2007

Hello Noha,

I have a USA client who sends me this kind of jobs from time to time. They pay me 2 dollars for each brand name. It was them who offered this price and I accepted the same because this kind of jobs is very easy. However, I was shocked when one of my colleagues told me that he has a client who pays him 15 dollars per brand name.
So, my advice to you is to ask for 15 dollars for each brand name. If your client accepts, this will be a very good price, as this kind o
... See more
Hello Noha,

I have a USA client who sends me this kind of jobs from time to time. They pay me 2 dollars for each brand name. It was them who offered this price and I accepted the same because this kind of jobs is very easy. However, I was shocked when one of my colleagues told me that he has a client who pays him 15 dollars per brand name.
So, my advice to you is to ask for 15 dollars for each brand name. If your client accepts, this will be a very good price, as this kind of job is very easy and questions can be answered very quickly in most cases.
If, your client refuses this price, then negotiate.

Wish you good luck!

Best regards,

Waleed
http://www.news4linguists.blogspot.com
Collapse

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Exactly waht I had in mind Jan 22, 2007

I usually apply a minimum charge on small translation job, so I was playing with the idea of doing the same here, too. I was just curious to find out whether there were any established rates. I mean what if the survey is long and time-consuming? Anyway, thanks, Fuad

Noha Kamal, PhD.
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incredible Jan 22, 2007

Waleed Mohamed wrote:

Hello Noha,

So, my advice to you is to ask for 15 dollars for each brand name. If your client accepts, this will be a very good price, as this kind of job is very easy and questions can be answered very quickly in most cases.
If, your client refuses this price, then negotiate.

Wish you good luck!

Best regards,

Waleed
http://www.news4linguists.blogspot.com

Waleed, a rate of 2 dollars is incredibly funny I am surprised some people would actually have the guts to offerthat! Thanks for pointing that out, though.

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Charge per hour or minimum charge Jan 22, 2007

Hi Noha,

Whenever I get any of these hard to quantify jobs, I charge per hour (as in proofreading jobs). If it took you less than an hour, then I agree with Fuad - charge your minimum rate (which usually is about the same amount you charge per hour).

[Edited at 2007-01-22 17:13]

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Hourly rates Jan 22, 2007

Noha Kamal wrote:

what if the survey is long and time-consuming?

In that case, you apply your hourly rate, as Nesrin suggested.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Survey-taking rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »