Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 05:13
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
A tool, ha! Oct 17, 2023

considering the above, to me ChatGPT is a 'tool', but in its slang meaning.

That's pretty good, Barbara! Thanks for the laugh.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Oct 17, 2023

I do not use AI for my translations, as I am sure it would be hopeless (not good with creativity, idiomatic expressions, cultural knowledge, dialects, neologisms...)

This makes me wonder if you have tried it lately. I think ChatGPT is not bad in some of these areas, idiomatic expressions in particular. As Emirjeta wrote, it can also "(assist) in swift idea generation".

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback Oct 17, 2023

Thanks to everyone for the feedback here. I'm going to put together a survey with the questions that have come to mind for me out of this discussion. I'll share the results here.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
How is ChatGPT’s inclusion in KudoZ helping anyone? Oct 17, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:
As everyone knows, ProZ is and always has been on the side of the translator. AI is a tool. (As Mr. Satan said, "use the right tool for the right job".) Introducing ChatGPT into the KudoZ help network (and paying the bill for that) is, apart from being a bit of fun, a way for ProZ to help direct some of the power of AI to the benefit of our people: the linguists.

But its answers are almost exclusively wrong, so how is that a benefit? And just how many people are you seeing on here thinking it is “a bit of fun”? With our livelihoods at stake, that strikes me as an incredibly insensitive and arrogant response.

If ProZ were truly behind its members it would be doing everything it could to signal to the world that human translators are still relevant. I am not seeing that.

You are free to run your business as you see fit, of course, but it is sad that you do not feel a need to engage with your members more than once every couple of years (generally to tell them to stop moaning, without considering why they are unhappy), and even then using this inclusive format which stifles debate.

Both the inclusive format and the AI tool have been unpopular and little used, but you plough on regardless. As I say, fine if that’s what you want, but don’t then claim you are on our side!

ibz
Maria Rosa Fontana
Metin Demirel
Jennifer Levey
Barbara Carrara
writeaway
Philip Lees

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
What about you, Ice Scream? Oct 17, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:
But its answers are almost exclusively wrong, so how is that a benefit? And just how many people are you seeing on here thinking it is “a bit of fun”? With our livelihoods at stake, that strikes me as an incredibly insensitive and arrogant response.

We put the option there, but if people don't use it it doesn't get used. Apparently, they have their reasons.
If ProZ were truly behind its members it would be doing everything it could to signal to the world that human translators are still relevant. I am not seeing that.

For what it is worth, I don't know of a company that would have more of an interest than ProZ.com in having translators benefit from AI. (Do you?)
You are free to run your business as you see fit, of course, but it is sad that you do not feel a need to engage with your members more than once every couple of years (generally to tell them to stop moaning, without considering why they are unhappy), and even then using this inclusive format which stifles debate.

The forums are one of over fifty services here. Excepting the minority who work behind the scenes, all ProZ staff members, including me, engage with members all the time.

By the way, I know you from years here to be an intelligent and insightful guy. I do wonder whether you are using AI. (Was your "no" a response to that? If so, I wonder why that is your choice.)

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:13
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Honestly Oct 17, 2023

I personally don’t care about GPT on KudoZ.

My opinion of ProZ is generally good (a lot of good things happened here). It’s more good than it is bad.

However, I don’t enjoy AI hyperpromotion and it being heavily used as an excuse to knock the rates down. It’s present everywhere, not only on ProZ, and not only in translation, unfortunately.

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Jorge Payan
Adieu
David Urdiales

Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Wilsonn Perez Reyes  Identity Verified
El Salvador
Local time: 03:13
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ice Cream Oct 18, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:

By the way, I know you from years here to be an intelligent and insightful guy.

I think Ice Cream is a woman.

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 12:13
English to Turkish
Can't you pull some strings? Oct 18, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:
By the way, I know you from years here to be an intelligent and insightful guy.

Why don't you do that poor chap a favour and let his posts appear in real time? He seems to be on your blacklist for years. Can't you grant a pardon or something?

Adieu
Robert Rietvelt

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:13
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I don't use it for translation... Oct 18, 2023

but I use it for research. Of course, fact-checking is still necessary, but it can provide you with the necessary information to find what you are looking for.

By the way: I'm not against giving members here the option of using it for KudoZ. It's just an option.

Henry is a smart guy and I've had the pleasure of meeting him personally many moons ago in Oxford. He is a translator too and I don't believe he would do anything to jeopardise our profession. Happy translAItin
... See more
but I use it for research. Of course, fact-checking is still necessary, but it can provide you with the necessary information to find what you are looking for.

By the way: I'm not against giving members here the option of using it for KudoZ. It's just an option.

Henry is a smart guy and I've had the pleasure of meeting him personally many moons ago in Oxford. He is a translator too and I don't believe he would do anything to jeopardise our profession. Happy translAIting everybody!
Collapse

Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
No, I don’t Oct 21, 2023

As mostly an interpreter, I produce my work in real time and couldn’t use any AI tools if I wanted to - which I don’t, as I am not interested in the slightest and fail to see the fascination with them at all.

There is possibly something that I am missing, but I see them just as machines that monotonely regurgitate content they were fed?
They are not creating the content, and if they are producing it, it means that said content was already out there, because it was f
... See more
As mostly an interpreter, I produce my work in real time and couldn’t use any AI tools if I wanted to - which I don’t, as I am not interested in the slightest and fail to see the fascination with them at all.

There is possibly something that I am missing, but I see them just as machines that monotonely regurgitate content they were fed?
They are not creating the content, and if they are producing it, it means that said content was already out there, because it was fed to them.
And when I am looking for some information, Google searches still work fine for me? If those are a result of AI then so be it, but I am not actively using it myself.

And regarding the addition of AI to ProZ, I agree with the school of thought that doesn’t find it to be a good idea.
If anything, having ChatGPT nonchalantly among us, as if it were one of us, sends our potential clients the wrong message at best.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
ibz
Maria Rosa Fontana
P.L.F. Persio
texjax DDS PhD
Michele Fauble

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Played with it for a few hours... Oct 21, 2023

...but could not think of any practical use for it. I thought it might be good at explaining grammar concepts for foreign language study or for creating sample sentences from vocabulary, or for generating mnemonics to help learn vocabulary, but unfortunately it has the tendency to make things up or get things confused, so you can't rely on the accuracy of what it creates. It seems it is best at writing things that no one will ever read.

[Edited at 2023-10-21 23:24 GMT]

[Edited at
... See more
...but could not think of any practical use for it. I thought it might be good at explaining grammar concepts for foreign language study or for creating sample sentences from vocabulary, or for generating mnemonics to help learn vocabulary, but unfortunately it has the tendency to make things up or get things confused, so you can't rely on the accuracy of what it creates. It seems it is best at writing things that no one will ever read.

[Edited at 2023-10-21 23:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-10-21 23:25 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Björn Vrooman
ibz
expressisverbis
Maria Rosa Fontana
P.L.F. Persio
writeaway

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
One-question survey Oct 27, 2023

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback here. I'm going to put together a survey with the questions that have come to mind for me out of this discussion. I'll share the results here.

Is this it - the single-question survey currently appearing at the top of the homepage?

A brief survey:

Are you using AI in some part of your work as of October, 2023?

If so, I trust there are more detailed questions to follow later.

AnneMe
AnneMe
English to German
Forbidden to use it by clients Nov 2, 2023

Hi,

roughly 80% of my clients have now expressly forbidden use of any AI/MT software. Not during the translation, nor while editing it. So no, even if I wanted, I couldn't use AI without breaking my contracts. I used to like DeepL for hunting synonyms. I'm back to the thesaurus again.

Adieu

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Practical use: creating my own HTML tag remover tool Nov 7, 2023

I think Robots should do chores that we don't like (that's where the name came from if I'm not mistaken).
So, not being a programmer myself I bounced off between a few different LLM available online (so-called AI) and in an hour I got myself a little webpage that removes HTML tags from text, converts the HTML entities to regular text (those weird things with & in them), has a button that sends the result to the clipboard and has a picture and a subscribe button to my YouTube channel.
... See more
I think Robots should do chores that we don't like (that's where the name came from if I'm not mistaken).
So, not being a programmer myself I bounced off between a few different LLM available online (so-called AI) and in an hour I got myself a little webpage that removes HTML tags from text, converts the HTML entities to regular text (those weird things with & in them), has a button that sends the result to the clipboard and has a picture and a subscribe button to my YouTube channel.
I think this is a pretty good demo of where we can go using AI to our real own advantage. I'm doing these tests in preparation for a video that will come out in a few weeks.
Here's what I have recorded from how it works (you may need to click for it run in a new tab).
HTML-tags-remover-AI-Lorem-Ipsum
[Edited at 2023-11-07 15:51 GMT] Better recording

[Edited at 2023-11-07 16:34 GMT]
Collapse

Zea_Mays

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Bingo! Nov 7, 2023

Maria G. Grassi, M.A. wrote:

If anything, having ChatGPT nonchalantly among us, as if it were one of us, sends our potential clients the wrong message at best.

Michele Fauble
Maria G. Grassi, MA AITI
Christopher Schröder
ibz
Jennifer Levey
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Are you managing to use AI in your work, to your benefit and the benefit of your clients?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »