Alaa Zeineldine
Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:29
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jun 6, 2023

I needed a quick word count for part of a document, so I copied the text I needed to count and decided to see if Bing Chat can count it. It did it very conveniently. However, since it does its work in the cloud, this can't be used with NDA restrictions on cloud usage.

Below is a transcript of the Bing Chat session (with the source text omitted.) What do you think?

Sent message. can you count words
Received message. Sure, I can count words. Do you want me to count
... See more
I needed a quick word count for part of a document, so I copied the text I needed to count and decided to see if Bing Chat can count it. It did it very conveniently. However, since it does its work in the cloud, this can't be used with NDA restrictions on cloud usage.

Below is a transcript of the Bing Chat session (with the source text omitted.) What do you think?

Sent message. can you count words
Received message. Sure, I can count words. Do you want me to count the words in your message or in something else?

Sent message. please count the words in quotation marks:
"HOW-TO VIDEOS
..."

Received message. Okay, I counted the words in quotation marks. There are **95** words in total.👍

Sent message. 👍
Received message. I'm glad you liked it.😊 Is there anything else I can help you with?

Sent message. do you count the words locally or in the cloud?
Received message. I count the words in the cloud. I use a natural language processing algorithm to tokenize the text and count the number of tokens.🧠

Sent message. so how secure is this?
Received message. This is very secure. I use Microsoft’s Azure cloud platform to process your text and count the words. Azure has many security features and complies with various standards and regulations. You can learn more about Azure security here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/overview/security/
Collapse

Nafisa Awan

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:29
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Why? Jun 6, 2023

Maybe a stupid question but why would you want to use ChatGPT for counting words when you can do it with Office?

Elena Feriani
Peter Motte
Jorge Payan
Christopher Schröder
Nikolay Novitskiy
Barbara Baldi
Mr. Satan (X)

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is why Jun 6, 2023

ibz wrote:

Maybe a stupid question but why would you want to use ChatGPT for counting words when you can do it with Office?

Of course, there are many ways to count words. I just needed a quick lightweight way to count part of an open file so I can get back to my client with a speedy reply. It occurred to me that maybe chatGPT can serve that purpose, and it did this in a second. I just had to copy and paste.

However, anyone who uses it that way should be aware of what their NDA does and does not allow.

[Edited at 2023-06-06 11:55 GMT]

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I use a Chrome extension for that Jun 6, 2023

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simple-word-count/lkabgnnfbbkphagmbjpbenlfglahnlmh?hl=en-GB

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Counting Jun 6, 2023

ibz wrote:

And not only MS Office. I think all CAT tools and MT tools have word count functions, and much more interesting once then GPT has, because those tools also take into account different degrees of repetition.

Barbara Baldi

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Count Jun 6, 2023

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

I needed a quick word count for part of a document

https://download.devontechnologies.com/download/freeware/wordservice/2.8.3/WordService.app.zip

Randbat
Randbat
Switzerland
Did you double check? Jun 6, 2023

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:

Did you verify that whatever number it gave you is correct, or at least in the ballpark? Because the explanation...

Sent message. do you count the words locally or in the cloud?
Received message. I count the words in the cloud. I use a natural language processing algorithm to tokenize the text and count the number of tokens.🧠

makes me think it could be wrong. Apart from the fact that a LLM is not really capable of counting as far as I know (it takes your prompt and, based on the data that it has seen, produces the most likely sequence of tokens): If we assume that its answer is not completely made up, it would be counting tokens. That can be a word, it can be a part of a word, it could be a single byte pair (byte pair encoding), etc.

I tested this with GPT4 and it gave me

The quoted passage contains 206 words.

Then I changed the order of a couple words and switched the order of the first and second paragraph, and now it says:

The quoted passage contains 137 words.

While MS Word indicates 157 and 158 words respectively.

I'd tread carefully trusting LLMs with "factual" content. Prominent examples: They are known to do math errors, generate fictitious citations, claim they wrote texts that they never wrote (you can test by taking any text you have written and never published online and feeding it to any LLM).

Alaa Zeineldine

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
But is it really? Jun 6, 2023

Alaa Zeineldine wrote:
Sent message. So how secure is this?
Received message. This is very secure.

Don't forget, though: ChatGPT outputs text that sounds plausible, not text that is necessarily factually correct. The fact that ChatpGPT says that it is secure doesn't mean that it is secure -- you have to look for external sources to verify that.

Alaa Zeineldine
Barbara Baldi

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Way off the mark Jun 6, 2023

Randbat wrote:

Did you verify that whatever number it gave you is correct, or at least in the ballpark? Because the explanation...

I did later and it was way off the mark, 95 instead of 145!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Plausible answers only Jun 6, 2023

I gave Chat GPT a passage of 176 words to count. Here are the results:

chat gpt word count

TargamaT team
Dan Lucas
John Fossey

Alaa Zeineldine
Egypt
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ChatGPT exhaustion Jun 6, 2023

You were probably only a couple of steps away from "I am sorry but I prefer not to continue with this conversation. Please choose a new topic"

Samuel Murray wrote:

I gave Chat GPT a passage of 176 words to count. Here are the results:

chat gpt word count

[Edited at 2023-06-06 18:28 GMT]

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Wheel Jun 22, 2023

This feels like reinventing the wheel, methinks. In LibreOffice, I can count how many words (and characters) contained in a section of the document by simply selecting particular sentences or paragraphs. It is half the effort compared to your methodology.

expressisverbis

Metin Demirel
Metin Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2018)
Italian to Turkish
+ ...
if I had to Jun 23, 2023

If I had to use ChatGPT to get a word-count, I would ask it to write a Python script to get the word-count of a body of text. Because I know I can't trust ChatGPT for tasks of that nature, but I can trust it to write a script.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
OMG, you too? Jun 24, 2023

Metin Demirel wrote:
Python

Metin Demirel

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you highlight the words in Office (Word)... Jun 27, 2023

... the word count of the selected text will appear at the bottom.

Mr. Satan (X)
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Using ChatGPT for word count

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »