Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova
Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 17:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 22, 2005

Could anyone please give me an advice how to calculate total wordcount for a website with many pages?
I'm sure it has been discussed already, but forum search didn't give any results.

Thanks in advance.

Siyad Abdulahi

Martine Etienne
Martine Etienne  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
Word Dec 22, 2005

Personnaly, I copy/paste in word and then I get the number of words.. I am not sure it is the best solution... But it helps..
Merry Christmas !!

Adam Warren

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:45
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Forum search :) Dec 22, 2005

You may find this thread useful:

http://www.proz.com/topic/11171

My personal 'agree' is with the last post...

Cheers,
Oleg

[Edited at 2005-12-22 11:09]

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you. Dec 22, 2005

Thank you, Martine and Oleg.

Finally, it turned out to be not too difficult to save all the pages one by one and analyze them all in Trados.

I just hope that there is nothing wrong with such calculation...

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Trados does not count some numbers Dec 22, 2005

... if that is a problem. Maybe try AnyCount, they have a demo.

Best regards,
Wolfgang

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 09:45
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
HTTrack Dec 22, 2005

I've recently used HTTrack, which is an open source tool, therefore it's distributed over the internet for free by private developers (and it's hightly effective!).

All you have to do after you install it is to point it to a general folder ("My Documents / My Websites" for example) then tell it what website it needs to download. You let the program run and, depending on the size of the website, it can take a little while for the p
... See more
I've recently used HTTrack, which is an open source tool, therefore it's distributed over the internet for free by private developers (and it's hightly effective!).

All you have to do after you install it is to point it to a general folder ("My Documents / My Websites" for example) then tell it what website it needs to download. You let the program run and, depending on the size of the website, it can take a little while for the process to be finished, so I advise you to use it overnight or while you're at the gym or on a meeting... I also advise you to have a lot of space on your hard disk, or it won't fit.

After the programs extracts every single component of the website and copies it to your computer, all you have to do is go through every sub-folder and collect the text files (txt, doc, pdf, xml...). You can then analyse them with your favorite tool (I use Trados) in order to get the final word count.

Also make sure you talk to your client before doing so to find out whether banners, logos, and icons also have to be translated. In such case, I don't believe there's any word count tool which can read the text inside images... What I usually do is collect all the images that need to be translated and create a table (either in Word or Excel) with the source text on the left and a column on the right for my translation (then, don't forget to include this document on the word count tool process too!). This way, web designers will know what goes where when they're creating new versions of these images.

Good luck!
Collapse

PractiCount Dec 25, 2005

Counting only the text manually copied from a website might leave quite an amount of translateable text behind (in meta tags, description, picture Alt tags etc.). As for Trados, it leaves numbers off count. We recommend using our software - PractiCount - which can count all that text plus it can download websites to be counted.

Best regards,
Maxim Siefer
Practiline Softwar
... See more
Counting only the text manually copied from a website might leave quite an amount of translateable text behind (in meta tags, description, picture Alt tags etc.). As for Trados, it leaves numbers off count. We recommend using our software - PractiCount - which can count all that text plus it can download websites to be counted.

Best regards,
Maxim Siefer
Practiline Software
http://www.practiline.com
Collapse

Natalya Zelikova
Poland
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Dec 25, 2005

Thank you all for your inputs.
I actually had to give my wordcount quickly, and though it has been accepted I hardly see so many words on the website, as Trados showed me in analysis

Could it be that it counted something untranslatable, etc.?

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
use Rainbow program for this very purpose Dec 26, 2005

You can find some explanation (russian text only) with pictures (illustrating what kind of reports it prepares) here:

http://www.proz.com/post/247549#247549

+
when many html files (or in plain english web pages) are put in one folder Rainbow makes analysis all of these files, does not count tags and prepares a special html report with 'words to translate only' count<
... See more
You can find some explanation (russian text only) with pictures (illustrating what kind of reports it prepares) here:

http://www.proz.com/post/247549#247549

+
when many html files (or in plain english web pages) are put in one folder Rainbow makes analysis all of these files, does not count tags and prepares a special html report with 'words to translate only' count

[Edited at 2005-12-26 20:51]
Collapse

TGT
TGT
Local time: 21:45
English to French
+ ...
easy solutions Oct 30, 2009

Natalya Zelikova wrote:

Could anyone please give me an advice how to calculate total wordcount for a website with many pages?
I'm sure it has been discussed already, but forum search didn't give any results.

Thanks in advance.

HI;
go to http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/translation/website-wordcount-tool.php
paste url of each page and click calculate and finally doing this you can get word count of your desired web pages.
or you can use firefox and it has a good add on of word counter, just view webpages slect text and click on count words and alos ad in previous and count etc, just use it

Amitabh Kumar
Amitabh Kumar
India
Local time: 22:15
Japanese to English
+ ...
Kwintenssential Link is not correctly counting the words Jan 14, 2010

Kwintenssential Link is not correctly counting the words

ryanluke86 (X)
ryanluke86 (X)
web.word.count Dec 7, 2010

I recently launched http://www.webwordcount.com which is a free word counting service for translators.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Adam Duzz (X)
Adam Duzz (X)
United Kingdom
Here is a great website to count website word count Oct 7, 2018

If you want to count the words of a web page, you cab use this website word count tool.

Hanna Sles (X)
Hanna Sles (X)
United States
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Website Word Count Oct 24, 2018

I have launched a Website Word Count tool for translators on my website. It gives a report based on repetitions and fuzzy matches
https://www.hannasles.com/word-frequency-counter/website-word-count-tool/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to calculate website wordcount?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »