Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Translating adult content - what is your opinion?
Thread poster: Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich
Inez Ulrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:32
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 17, 2020

Lingua 5B wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

" ... where he also reacted very aggressively very fast when I wasn't "behaving" the way he wanted me to."

A control freak, maybe. A dungeon master looking for a submissive slave, with correspondence foreplay.

Definitely a name-and-shame case if you can.

Was that category of his adult movies for translation, BDSM? Maybe not that, he just wants to control her into doing translations she doesn't want to do and perhaps at reduced price.

well, he reacts very impulsively as I could see, also when I dealt with him a few months ago. Fortunately, I don't let anybody control me. I have stopped conversation anyway now, not worth it. And I have reported him, not sure if this leads to anything.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe ... Jun 17, 2020

... he writes the vid BDSM storylines himself and needs some inspiration. He could just be a social inadequate who gets off on barking stern dom-to-sub orders by Whatsapp while sitting on the toilet with his red leather shorts around his ankles and a box of Kleenex before mummy calls him down for sprouts and tripe.

[Edited at 2020-06-17 10:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-17 10:23 GMT]

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jun 17, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

" ... where he also reacted very aggressively very fast when I wasn't "behaving" the way he wanted me to."

A control freak, maybe. A dungeon master looking for a submissive slave, with correspondence foreplay.

Definitely a name-and-shame case if you can. If you already have enough info stored on him for that, you can block him on Whatsapp afterwards.

[Edited at 2020-06-17 09:32 GMT]

I see now how that "behaving" sounds, but that was not my intention. He simply projected his own behaviour on mine and accusing me of all the things he was actually doing himself, the rudeness, the bad manners etc. Maybe he's just crazy.

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
could very well be Jun 17, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... he writes the vid BDSM storylines himself and needs some inspiration. He could just be a social inadequate who gets off on barking stern dom-to-sub orders by Whatsapp while sitting on the toilet with his red leather shorts around his ankles and a box of Kleenex before mummy calls him down for sprouts and tripe.

yeah, sounds really great! And it wasn't even about BDMS! I remember he sent me a few emails via his Porsche messenger system or whatever that is called. That was before he insisted again on Whatsapp. Weirdo.

At least I have seen that I could do content like that, but then only for a serious client. And only for a really, really good rate.

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 12:32
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The bottom line: Jun 17, 2020

we learn from bad experiences, but we make the right choices next time.
I am sorry this story had no happy ending, and I hope you can have such opportunity with a serious and respectful client soon!
But it is like you say, at least you know you are good at adult content.
So, something positive happened in this "sad" story.

Anna Jaffe

Inez Ulrich
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
exactly Jun 17, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

we learn from bad experiences, but we make the right choices next time.
I am sorry this story had no happy ending, and I hope you can have such opportunity with a serious and respectful client soon!
But it is like you say, at least you know you are good at adult content.
So, something positive happened in this "sad" story.

well, I'd be happy with every other decently paid task...I have ongoing work until August or September for one project, and another will begin in July, but jobs have decreased considerably with corona, probably about 70% less than usual. That was another reason why I would have been happy to work on this as it seemed lucrative. Anyway.

Arina Alba
Arina Alba  Identity Verified
France
Portuguese to French
+ ...
Sure! Feb 21, 2022

Inez Ulrich wrote:

Hi all,

I'd be interested about your opinion on translating adult content - would you do it?

[Edited at 2020-06-14 08:55 GMT]

A few years ago, an agency offered me a potential project of adult content. The rate was awesome, and I said yes immediately. Unfortunately their client didn't confirm the project, but I was eager to doing it.

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Japanese to English
+ ...
Adult content? Feb 22, 2022

Last summer I started a Japanese manga project for a company in China. I didn't know much about the content, but as I ventured into the project, the content proved disgusting and sleazy and I dropped out. I wasn't in bondage and hurting people.

MollyRose

Joy Huang
Joy Huang
Australia
Local time: 23:32
Chinese
adult content? Feb 24, 2022

It depends on situation.

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thoughts on a potential large project involving bondage Feb 26, 2022

My current experience as a freelance translator of Spanish into English is more than enough for me - thank you.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating adult content - what is your opinion?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »