Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:21
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 6, 2019

Hello,
Can anyone recommend a microphone to use with the latest version of Dragon Naturally Speaking? It does not need to be wireless, and I'm thinking of something I would wear, not place on the table.
I'm currently using a Sennheiser ME3 which plugs into an Andrea pod which then plugs into the computer. It works well, but I've had it since 2006 and I suspect the technology might have improved.
Regards,
Carlos.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Cheap and cheerful Dec 6, 2019

After trying 2 or 3 very expensive and cumbersome microphones, which failed and that I ended up throwing away, I found this one:

https://tinyurl.com/whzm4be

It was very cheap and works perfectly. I clip it to my shirt collar, close to my face. I'm using it right now to dictate this message.

Highly recommended. Just plug it into a USB port and away you go.

[Edited
... See more
After trying 2 or 3 very expensive and cumbersome microphones, which failed and that I ended up throwing away, I found this one:

https://tinyurl.com/whzm4be

It was very cheap and works perfectly. I clip it to my shirt collar, close to my face. I'm using it right now to dictate this message.

Highly recommended. Just plug it into a USB port and away you go.

[Edited at 2019-12-06 17:20 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Not sure if there's been that much progress Dec 6, 2019

Sp and Fr to En wrote:
I'm currently using a Sennheiser ME3

I have an expensive wireless Sennheiser DW30 and a cheap wired Sennheiser SC30 and, at least for my kind of use, the SC30 performs about as well. Given that I spent several hours poring over microphone reviews before buying, it was disappointing that I couldn't detect more difference between the two.

These days I actually like the fact that the SC30 doesn't have a battery. I found that the wireless one would run out of charge just when I was trying to hit a deadline, so these days I very seldom use that. Going back the SC30, I doubt it would be an improvement over what you already have.

Regards,
Dan

neilmac

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
In my long experience... Dec 7, 2019

Almost any microphone works with Dragon, no matter how cheap or expensive. I use the built-in mic on my laptop.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:21
French to English
+ ...
It's the room, not the microphone Dec 7, 2019

Generally, it's much better to use a directional microphone (look for words like cardioid, supercardioid, or hypercardioid) than an omnidirectional one. However, from my experience, voice recognition quality is affected more by the room reverberation than by the microphone quality. A big empty room with hard walls is the worst. The best would be a small booth full of pillows or, conversely, an open field with no walls at all on a calm day.

[Edited at 2019-12-07 15:57 GMT]

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone. Dec 8, 2019

Thanks everyone.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sennheiser Dec 10, 2019

I think I've had the best results from Sennheiser microphones. I currently have two, both wired, and never have any problems with them. I seem to recall I got a free headset with DNS, but it wasn't very good, which is why I bought the Sennheiser.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microphone to use with Dragon Naturally Speaking

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »