Thread poster: Anne Diamantidis
Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 19:06
Romanian to English
+ ...
@ inkweaver Feb 3, 2013

First, I am not an avid user, but thanks to FB I was able to get in touch with former colleagues from all over the world and share wonderful memories.
I do not try to defend or promote FB, but it rattles me when people who are afraid of the unknown try to explain the dangers of FB. If you are knowledgeable, your cell phone (mobil in EU) shares the same data about you without your knowledge. What are you going to do, cancel your cell phone too ?

Lee Roth (as you may notice, I
... See more
First, I am not an avid user, but thanks to FB I was able to get in touch with former colleagues from all over the world and share wonderful memories.
I do not try to defend or promote FB, but it rattles me when people who are afraid of the unknown try to explain the dangers of FB. If you are knowledgeable, your cell phone (mobil in EU) shares the same data about you without your knowledge. What are you going to do, cancel your cell phone too ?

Lee Roth (as you may notice, I am not afraid to post my name)
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
I wonder .... Mar 5, 2016

I wonder if after three years from the initial posting, some of our colleagues have changed their opinion, either way.

I am still an avid FB user. What about you?

Best,
Lee

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:06
English to Russian
Trying to permanently delete my Facebook account - a Catch-22 situation Mar 18, 2018

I have never been active in the Facebook community focusing on (primarily) ProZ and LinkedIn instead. Recently, I decided to permanently delete (or at least deactivate) my Facebook account. At that point, I couldn't log in due to the two-factor authentication procedure, as I lost access to my mobile phone number originally registered with Facebook. When I tried to contact Facebook staff asking them to delete my account for me, I found out there was no way to do that other than from inside the sy... See more
I have never been active in the Facebook community focusing on (primarily) ProZ and LinkedIn instead. Recently, I decided to permanently delete (or at least deactivate) my Facebook account. At that point, I couldn't log in due to the two-factor authentication procedure, as I lost access to my mobile phone number originally registered with Facebook. When I tried to contact Facebook staff asking them to delete my account for me, I found out there was no way to do that other than from inside the system, i.e. I had to be logged in first. I am at a loss now, looking for advice from someone who had a similar experience and managed to quit Facebook eventually.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

P.S. This Catch-22 is a good example of why I decided to quit Facebook.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Myth Mar 19, 2018

Anne Diamantidis wrote:

What other myth/habit do you see there that you would add to this list?

Cheers,
Anne

It's a myth that Facebook is actually a thing. Facebook is for people who have nothing to do.

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Truth hidden in plain sight Mar 19, 2018

One thing you have to admit is that it doesn't lie to you, as the name itself is a pretty accurate description: it is a book with faces on it. You use it to show your face and peruse other people's.

Personally I prefer books with actual content, but hey, that's just me.

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
If all your clients are on Facebook... Mar 19, 2018

...it can be helpful to open up an account just to keep current on things, even if you're not active on it yourself.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Most US professional associations are on FB Mar 19, 2018

Just to name a few, ATA, NAJIT, Immigration court interpreters have FB accounts and are active.

It depends whom you accept as "Friends". If you keep as friends just your professional colleagues, it is very beneficial to have an account.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Facebook value plunges $37bn amid data concerns Mar 20, 2018

https://news.sky.com/story/information-commissioner-seeks-warrant-to-access-cambridge-analytica-servers-11297541

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
#DeleteFacebook Mar 21, 2018

Anyone who has a Facebook account should either delete it completely or at least delete all the personal information about who they are, where they live, their likes/dislikes etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/20/facebook-cambridge-analytica-whatsapp-delete

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
Tom, why should I delete my FB? Apr 7, 2018

Regarding the "catastrophic" plunge of FB, here is the stock value for the last 5 years! https://www.google.com/search?q=facebook%20stock%20price%20history&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS645US645&oq=facebook%20stock&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l5.7090j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Well, maybe Apr 9, 2018

Well, maybe you have invested in FB.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Seven Facebook myths

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »