Thread poster: Elov
Elov
Elov
Local time: 21:15
English to French
+ ...
Jan 22, 2021

Hi everyone,

I would like the target comments typed in Trados Studio 2019 to appear in the target Excel file, but I can't find any field to specify a column for the target comments.

I was told to got to Project Settings>File Types>Bilingual Excel >Common, "Studio comments will be stored in column:" but thre is no such field in my Studio.

Any idea where I can specify the column?

Thank you in advance!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Elov Jan 22, 2021

Elov wrote:
I was told to got to Project Settings > File Types > Bilingual Excel > Common, "Studio comments will be stored in column:" but there is no such field in my Studio.

I have only a very basic understanding of this particular feature, so take my comment with a grain of salt. But in Trados 2021, click File > Options > File Types (and expand it) > Bilingual Excel (and expand it) > Common, and then in the bottom right corner is "Studio comments will be stored in column:". I'm not sure if you can get to this via Project Settings as well.

I don't know if that setting does what you think it will do.

However, as far as I know, you have to then specifically select "Bilingual Excel" as the file type when creating the project (and I always forget how to do that -- there is a way, but it's not intuitive)

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:15
English to Russian
Once a bilingual Excel project has been created, go to Project Settings as shown below Jan 22, 2021

The best way is to create a single bilingual Excel project and remove (uncheck) all file types except sdlxliff and Bilingual Excel. And then just add or remove files to/from that project as need be.
Another option to create a bilingual Excel project is moving the Bilingual Excel file type up so that it goes above any other Excel options in the list of file types. However, if you create a new project for each next translation assignment, you will have to move the Bilingual Excel file type e
... See more
The best way is to create a single bilingual Excel project and remove (uncheck) all file types except sdlxliff and Bilingual Excel. And then just add or remove files to/from that project as need be.
Another option to create a bilingual Excel project is moving the Bilingual Excel file type up so that it goes above any other Excel options in the list of file types. However, if you create a new project for each next translation assignment, you will have to move the Bilingual Excel file type every time you create a project.
Collapse

Elov
Elov
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No field named "Studio comments will be stored in column:" in my Studio 2019 Jan 22, 2021

Thank you, Samuel and Stepan, but the problem is that there is no "Studio comments will be stored in column:" field in my Studio... 🤔

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:15
English to Russian
Wild guess Jan 22, 2021

Probably, you apply screen scaling other than 100%. I do so either (I use 150%). This prevents you from seeing the lower part of the wizard. 1. Hover your mouse over the top border of this window so that a white vertical two-way arrow appears and drag the upper border down. 2. Then drag the whole wi... See more
Probably, you apply screen scaling other than 100%. I do so either (I use 150%). This prevents you from seeing the lower part of the wizard. 1. Hover your mouse over the top border of this window so that a white vertical two-way arrow appears and drag the upper border down. 2. Then drag the whole window up.

If this does not help, ask your question here: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/studio

[Edited at 2021-01-22 14:58 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Elov Jan 22, 2021

Elov wrote:
There is no "Studio comments will be stored in column:" field in my Studio... 🤔

I just checked in Trados 2019 (which I happen to have on my computer still), and you're right: there is no such option.

no such option

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting target comments to Excel

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »