Trados 2021 - still incapable of performing basic formatting tasks?
Thread poster: Hannah Doyle
Hannah Doyle
Hannah Doyle  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:07
French to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2020

Just testing out Trados 2021. For what it's worth, I'm still on Trados 2014, just because with the work I do, I only really need my CAT tool to perform basic functions.

One of the things I was hoping Trados 2021 would achieve is actually performing really basic tasks. One example is formatting.

Say I have a sentence that reads: "Hannah is happy today". I want to bold 'happy'. In MemoQ, it's a basic process, whereby I'd hit Ctrl + B before typing 'happy', then again to u
... See more
Just testing out Trados 2021. For what it's worth, I'm still on Trados 2014, just because with the work I do, I only really need my CAT tool to perform basic functions.

One of the things I was hoping Trados 2021 would achieve is actually performing really basic tasks. One example is formatting.

Say I have a sentence that reads: "Hannah is happy today". I want to bold 'happy'. In MemoQ, it's a basic process, whereby I'd hit Ctrl + B before typing 'happy', then again to unbold for 'today'.

I started to feel pretty excited, as this time around with the new Trados, I can bold 'happy' via the keyboard. Yay! And yet when you go to reverse it for 'today', it suddenly doesn't work. 'Today' continues to be bolded.

If you select 'today' and go up to the top ribbon and click the 'b' to unbold manually, that doesn't work. You have to select the word and click on 'clear formatting' for it to work.

Is it me or is this...faintly ridiculous? This is such a simple, basic thing that MemoQ has been handling for years with no problems.

Am I missing something here?
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:07
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
The 'clear formatting' button Dec 14, 2020

would do what you need. Please take a look at Help or Studio manual to see how does it work.

Also consider using the copy source to target function - in this case you just enter your translation in appropriate places between the tags and rarely need manual adjusting.

P.S. I don't have Studio 2021, I use 2017, but the formatting function works exactly this way since several latest releases.

[Edited at 2020-12-14 10:05 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:07
English to Russian
Ctrl+Space Dec 14, 2020

Hannah Doyle wrote:
I started to feel pretty excited, as this time around with the new Trados, I can bold 'happy' via the keyboard. Yay!

Actually, it works this way since Studio 2009.

In addition to the above mentioned by Natalia, you can use Ctrl+Space to remove formatting exactly the same way you do with bolding. Just keep your thumb 2 millimeters lower than when you press Ctrl+B. To avoid those additional problems you described, apply bold to a selected word, not before/after you start/stop typing a word to be bolded. Once you have typed a sentence, say 'Hannah is happy today', option 1: press Ctrl+left arrow to put the cursor after the word 'happy', then press Ctrl+Shift+left arrow to select the word 'happy'; option 2: press Ctrl+left arrow 2 times to put the cursor before the word 'happy', then press Ctrl+Shift+right arrow to select the word 'happy'; option 3: use your mouse to select the word 'happy', then press Ctrl+B to bold or Ctrl+Space to unbold it.

[Edited at 2020-12-14 13:40 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2021 - still incapable of performing basic formatting tasks?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »