Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 18:46
Romanian to English
+ ...
Mar 2, 2021

HELLO PROSPECTIVE INTERPRETER/TRANSLATOR,

After a quick review on your profile on the Pennsylvania Courts, we're impressed with your capabilities and qualifications for the job position of an interpreter/translator. The company hopes with your capabilities and qualifications you can help us attain a greater and unique height.

COMPANY NAME: FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE
JOB POSITION: INTERPRETER/TRANSLATOR
FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME

After a quick review on your profile on the Pennsylvania Courts, we're impressed with your capabilities and qualifications for the job position of an interpreter/translator. The company hopes with your capabilities and qualifications you can help us attain a greater and unique height.

COMPANY NAME: FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE
FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME

If interested in this job position. The company would love to invite you for an interview with the company’s HR Representative. During the interview you will have the chance to learn more about the role and to develop a deeper understanding of our company’s objectives. On our end, we want to understand your career goals and professional experience more so.

You’ve been assigned to Mr. Steven Chang {HR COORDINATOR} of FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE.
Please indicate your interest in an interview by contacting Mr. Steven Chang on telegram using this link(https://t.me/Ste_chang) ;or Email ([email protected])and instant message him with his screen name to proceed with the job interview process and also have your resume sent to him for a proper perusal.

This would serve as your verification code during your interview Session (FRENSIUS/INT/TRAN-20111094).

Please respond no later than Friday with your availability. The company looks forward to having you. Adhere to the instructions to select and reserve an interview slot in the upcoming days or immediately. These slots usually fill quickly, so we recommend that you schedule as soon as possible.

Yours Sincerely,

Michael Diekmann

Deputy Chair of the Supervisory Board of Fresenius SE & Co

I checked the company's website and they don't have any job offers for interpreter/translator!

Stay safe,
Lee
Collapse

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:46
German to Swedish
+ ...
Maybe you didn't know this but Mar 2, 2021

The supervisory board of $20 bn market cap Fresenius does all its business via Gmail and messenger apps these days.
Also the deputy chairman, who is personally involved in the selection of translators, doesn't know how to spell the company name.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Robert Forstag

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... with a new variant ! Mar 2, 2021

After a quick review of your profile on the Austin Area Translators and Interpreters Association, we're impressed with your capabilities and qualifications for the job position of an interpreter/translator. The company hopes with your capabilities and qualifications you can help us attain a greater and unique height.

COMPANY NAME: SPINDEX PHARMACEUTICAL
FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME
... See more

After a quick review of your profile on the Austin Area Translators and Interpreters Association, we're impressed with your capabilities and qualifications for the job position of an interpreter/translator. The company hopes with your capabilities and qualifications you can help us attain a greater and unique height.

COMPANY NAME: SPINDEX PHARMACEUTICAL
FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME

If interested in this job position. The company would love to invite you for an interview with the company’s HR Representative. During the interview, you will have the chance to learn more about the role and to develop a deeper understanding of our company’s objectives. On our end, we want to understand your career goals and professional experience more so.

You’ve been assigned to Dr.Laura Poole {HR REPRESENTATIVE} of SPINDEX PHARMACEUTICAL.
Please indicate your interest in an interview by contacting Dr. Laura on telegram using this link (https://t.me/Laurapoole) or email
([email protected]) and instant message her with her screen name to proceed with the job interview process and also have your resume sent to her for a proper perusal.

This would serve as your verification code during your interview Session (SPINDEX-INT-TRAN-AATIA-202154).
Please respond no later than Friday with your availability. The company looks forward to having you. Adhere to the instructions to select and reserve an interview slot in the upcoming days or immediately. These slots usually fill quickly, so we recommend that you schedule as soon as possible.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Bernard Griffin.
Chairman Human Resource Department Spindex Pharmaceutical
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
The usual warning flags Mar 3, 2021

Bad punctuation, complicated instructions, over-courteous and officious prolixity, plentiful use of academic titles and "Mr".

Robert Forstag
Thomas Pfann
Liviu-Lee Roth

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Plus... Mar 3, 2021

Joakim Braun wrote:

Bad punctuation, complicated instructions, over-courteous and officious prolixity, plentiful use of academic titles and "Mr".

No company is likely to make a commitment to conduct a formal interview of anyone for a well-paid and high-profile position solely on the basis of "a quick review" of a profile posted on a website.

[Edited at 2021-03-03 13:12 GMT]

Thayenga
Liviu-Lee Roth
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Adam Fuss
Adam Fuss  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:46
Member (2012)
Russian to English
+ ...
Scams are everywhere it seems! Mar 3, 2021

Scamming seems to be the story of the day, unfortunately.

After negotiating a fee for translation of an academic paper from Russian to English, I received a check this morning for more than 2x the negotiated price, despite the fact that I had agreed to take 50% as a prepayment.

Do these people think we're idiots? Or is there sadly a history of people successfully scamming translators? While the initial email appeared solid and the paper actually seemed quite legitimate
... See more

After negotiating a fee for translation of an academic paper from Russian to English, I received a check this morning for more than 2x the negotiated price, despite the fact that I had agreed to take 50% as a prepayment.

Do these people think we're idiots? Or is there sadly a history of people successfully scamming translators? While the initial email appeared solid and the paper actually seemed quite legitimate, everything from this morning has been highly suspect. The "check", by the way, was from a mortgage company, and the FedEx envelop bore the address of a Beverly Hills medical research group. The woman's signature line in her email has what appears to be North Carolina residential address.

Here's this morning's correspondence, so you can see what this type of scam is like (scroll down for the initial message I received from said scammer several hours before the dubious check arrived).

-------------------
It's not so Adam. It was a honest mistake which I explained in my previous email. Also, my sponsor who made out payment has gone in a trip and we're left to sort this out. I assure you this is legitimate and not a scam.

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021, 15:14 Adam Fuss wrote:
Lakia,

I will not be able to proceed with this assignment, as this is not a legitimate check that was delivered to me today by FedEx. It was for more than 2x the amount of the full project, which quite obviously indicates a scam.

If you wish to proceed, I ask that you please kindly pay the full amount of the project ($2100) by PayPal to this email address or by credit card via the link below.

Adam

Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 4:19 AM
To: Adam Fuss
Subject: Re: Russian to English Translation

Hi Adam,
How are you today? I would like to inform you that I received information that the payment has been mailed to you and, and should be delivered to you today.
Here is the FedEx tracking number:

I was informed that there was slight confusion as your payment was sent to their mover, while their payment was sent to you which I believe can be resolved. Kindly confirm receipt of this email and let me know when you receive the check, so that we can resolve the issue. I hope to get your timely reply.
Collapse

Gabrielle Shaw

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 16:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Spindex Mar 3, 2021

I received one from Spindex Pharmaceutical. I looked up their address and it turned out to be a small condo building.

Liviu-Lee Roth

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:46
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
No PayPal or credit card here Mar 3, 2021

Adam Fuss wrote:
If you wish to proceed, I ask that you please kindly pay the full amount of the project ($2100) by PayPal to this email address or by credit card via the link below.

PayPal and credit card payments can easily be disputed and/reversed, though it's unlikely a scammer would go through the trouble of making and reversing a legitimate payment unless his intent were to steal your translation. In this situation (aside from not wasting time or energy engaging with obvious scammers), I would only accept 100% up front via a direct wire transfer (irreversible once made) or cash via a service like Western Union.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Scattergun scammers Mar 3, 2021

Scammers have a scattergun approach. They favour group attacks. Newly installed businesses. People working on their own. Given the number they aim at, some will have their guard down.

If it's too vague or too good to be true, it IS too vague and it IS too good to be true.

Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth

Joakim Braun
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Similar Mar 3, 2021

Robert Forstag wrote:

No company is likely to make a commitment to conduct a formal interview of anyone for a well-paid and high-profile position solely on the basis of "a quick review" of a profile posted on a website.

Scammers and translators probably have a similar experience level of recruitment to well-paid high-profile positions.

Robert Forstag

Gabrielle Shaw
Gabrielle Shaw
United States
Lakia Fisher is trying to scam me too. Mar 9, 2021

Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting this! The very same individual reached out to me as well. In the beginning I almost fell for it too. My biggest mistake was sending her my invoice before vetting her as a new client. I rarely only do this type of work anymore, and only on a personal referral basis.

When she couldn’t respond to simple questions for me to verify her as a legitimate client, and I found your post on here, I told her I couldn’t take on the assignment. ... See more
Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting this! The very same individual reached out to me as well. In the beginning I almost fell for it too. My biggest mistake was sending her my invoice before vetting her as a new client. I rarely only do this type of work anymore, and only on a personal referral basis.

When she couldn’t respond to simple questions for me to verify her as a legitimate client, and I found your post on here, I told her I couldn’t take on the assignment.

She is now still emailing me about this check she is sending me—even after I told her I would not translate her papers.

I hope you don’t mind me asking, but what did you do in your situation? I feel I should go to the authorities with the fraudulent check she sends me.

Did you report it? If so, who can I go to assuming she still mails me this check.

Thank you!

~Gabrielle

Adam Fuss wrote:

Do these people think we're idiots? Or is there sadly a history of people successfully scamming translators? While the initial email appeared solid and the paper actually seemed quite legitimate, everything from this morning has been highly suspect. The "check", by the way, was from a mortgage company, and the FedEx envelop bore the address of a Beverly Hills medical research group. The woman's signature line in her email has what appears to be North Carolina residential address.

Here's this morning's correspondence, so you can see what this type of scam is like (scroll down for the initial message I received from said scammer several hours before the dubious check arrived).

-------------------
It's not so Adam. It was a honest mistake which I explained in my previous email. Also, my sponsor who made out payment has gone in a trip and we're left to sort this out. I assure you this is legitimate and not a scam.

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021, 15:14 Adam Fuss wrote:
Lakia,

I will not be able to proceed with this assignment, as this is not a legitimate check that was delivered to me today by FedEx. It was for more than 2x the amount of the full project, which quite obviously indicates a scam.

Adam

Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 4:19 AM
To: Adam Fuss
Subject: Re: Russian to English Translation

Hi Adam,
How are you today? I would like to inform you that I received information that the payment has been mailed to you and, and should be delivered to you today.
Here is the FedEx tracking number:

I was informed that there was slight confusion as your payment was sent to their mover, while their payment was sent to you which I believe can be resolved. Kindly confirm receipt of this email and let me know when you receive the check, so that we can resolve the issue. I hope to get your timely reply.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Well-crafted SCAM!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »