Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
Three translation agencies contacted us for MTPE and HT projects, all the same requirements.
Thread poster: Marc Svetov
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well, Dec 11, 2020

after researching a bit I don’t think this is a scam, though it looks very much like one, as I’ve found on Scribd two documents related to this project one called “ISAAC Translation Guidelines - Human Translation - How to translate in ONEFORMA” and the other one “ISAAC Project Guidelines - Human Translation – Linguistic Instructions”, both published by a Brazilian translation agency.

By the way, could any of you who have been involved in this project tell me what ISAA
... See more
after researching a bit I don’t think this is a scam, though it looks very much like one, as I’ve found on Scribd two documents related to this project one called “ISAAC Translation Guidelines - Human Translation - How to translate in ONEFORMA” and the other one “ISAAC Project Guidelines - Human Translation – Linguistic Instructions”, both published by a Brazilian translation agency.

By the way, could any of you who have been involved in this project tell me what ISAAC means?

[Edited at 2020-12-11 14:10 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: User request.
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Bruna Dec 11, 2020

If it is a scam, it's the most elaborate one I've ever seen!

Lena Mauveaux
Lena Mauveaux
France
Local time: 18:44
French to English
+ ...
Scam? Dec 11, 2020

I did a little work for them (though still about 300 € worth) to see if they would pay over the past couple of weeks, and like Bruna it's looking more like a scam. They used to me really reactive and they had good reviews on Proz so I trusted it despite the lack of P.O. and my concerns, but I've just seen a twitter account saying the agency that contacted me doesn't pay their client. It's one tweet so I can't be sure but that combined to how few people seem to work for them on Linkedin (althou... See more
I did a little work for them (though still about 300 € worth) to see if they would pay over the past couple of weeks, and like Bruna it's looking more like a scam. They used to me really reactive and they had good reviews on Proz so I trusted it despite the lack of P.O. and my concerns, but I've just seen a twitter account saying the agency that contacted me doesn't pay their client. It's one tweet so I can't be sure but that combined to how few people seem to work for them on Linkedin (although the people I was in contact with do show up on one other website that seems to be for the company or something like that) makes me really suspicious. In the case they are a SCAM I wonder if anything can be done besides sending tons of emails and pushing everywhere possible?
It just seemed so elaborate to be a scam as it would see we are very, very many translators on this. And they insisted on their specific rate and rules, it seems like a bit of a waste of time if they're not gonna pay us in the end anyway.
Collapse

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 12:44
English to Russian
+ ...
So far Dec 12, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

By the way, could any of you who have been involved in this project tell me what ISAAC means?

The only legitimate organization I found on the net is International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication

https://isaac-online.org/english/home/

and this is what they say in relation to translation:

***In our continuing efforts to make our website available globally through translation, we have installed the Google Translate function on this website as a pilot project only. ISAAC does not warrant or guarantee in any way the completeness or accuracy of any translation provided by Google Translate.***

I found the initial offer in the TranslatorsCafe (through Google, I'm not a member there) and was terrified... How can anyone fall for it, what is there to discuss or trust???? Even if they were formally legit, somewhere and somehow, what kind of business language, offer, initial communication is it?

https://www.translatorscafe.com/cafe/SelectedJob.asp?Job=303316

Same comes up under a few different urls.

Look up *Gisela Schwarz* and see what comes up first... Reminds me of "Jennifer Grey" overpayment scam. Ain't it fun to choose the name from Dirty Dancing movie? But that Gizela certainly beats sweet little Baby.

I guess no one has responded about getting paid yet.

Margarita
Barbara Carrara

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
It does't say anywhere what Isaac means Dec 13, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

I have passed a test and read all guidelines, but still haven't found out what Isaac means.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
ISAAC/ISSAC project Dec 14, 2020

From what I’ve researched and what you all have been saying it seems that there are several agencies involved in this project from Brazil, Canada, Germany, UAE, Spain, Italy, Argentina and jobs related to this project have been posted on several online platforms. If this is really a scam, then it will be the most elaborate scam that anyone has ever come up with, given its scale and cross-border implications.

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
Not sure It's a scam Dec 14, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

If this is really a scam, then it will be the most elaborate scam that anyone has ever come up with, given its scale and cross-border implications.

Not sure It's a scam, but I'm not participating in this because many things sound fishy, including the final rates that depend on QA results

Viviane Marx
Katarzyna Slowikova
Adieu
Amani Harrison

Marc Svetov
Marc Svetov  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Honi soit qui mal y pense Dec 14, 2020

Elena Feriani wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

If this is really a scam, then it will be the most elaborate scam that anyone has ever come up with, given its scale and cross-border implications.

Not sure It's a scam, but I'm not participating in this because many things sound fishy, including the final rates that depend on QA results

I believe this is a Chinese company whose name I know that is doing AI/voice recognition on a massive scale. Like most of these types of companies in China, it is affiliated with the Chinese government/Chinese intelligence. Honi soit qui mal y pense. My wife and I will not work for them.

Katarzyna Slowikova
Adieu

Marc Svetov
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Millions of words Dec 14, 2020

IrinaN wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

The only legitimate organization I found on the net is International Society for Augmentative and Alternative Communication

https://isaac-online.org/english/home/

and this is what they say in relation to translation:

***In our continuing efforts to make our website available globally through translation, we have installed the Google Translate function on this website as a pilot project only. ISAAC does not warrant or guarantee in any way the completeness or accuracy of any translation provided by Google Translate.***

Look up *Gisela Schwarz* and see what comes up first... Reminds me of "Jennifer Grey" overpayment scam. Ain't it fun to choose the name from Dirty Dancing movie? But that Gizela certainly beats sweet little Baby.

That's very interesting. My wife had "Gisela Schwarz" as a contact too. Have millions of word strings already been translated?

[Edited at 2020-12-14 14:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-14 14:58 GMT]

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Meanwhile... Dec 17, 2020

... the other thread about this multi-million-multi-agency-project ("Translation agency has no way of keeping track of my word count : scam?") has been taken down by ProZ.
The reason they offered is 'Removal requested by poster.' No other clues were provided in the notification I received this morning as one of the participants in that thread.

Refs. within this thread: my first post dated 6 Dec. (page 1, top) and Lucie Roulland's (the colleague who originally started the thre
... See more
... the other thread about this multi-million-multi-agency-project ("Translation agency has no way of keeping track of my word count : scam?") has been taken down by ProZ.
The reason they offered is 'Removal requested by poster.' No other clues were provided in the notification I received this morning as one of the participants in that thread.

Refs. within this thread: my first post dated 6 Dec. (page 1, top) and Lucie Roulland's (the colleague who originally started the thread referenced above and now no longer accessible) post of 8 Dec. (page 2).

What's going on, ProZ?

[Edited at 2020-12-17 13:59 GMT]
Collapse

Zibow Retailleau
Katarzyna Slowikova
Adieu
Mirko Mainardi

Marc Svetov
United States
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Any invoicing and payment yet? Dec 17, 2020

Has anybody who has done work on these various projects (ISAAC, ISSAC) invoiced the client and been paid?

Mixish
Amani Harrison

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:44
English to Russian
+ ...
Well, I believe they will pay, but a huge BUT... Dec 17, 2020

Here is the link to the job post I received once again from this Spanish agency (see the image attached).

It means that suddenly this MTPE job has turned into a translation task with penalties, etc.

So, we have: a translation task with 0.03 EUR per word, with no POs, some vague penalties for 'quality issues'.

IMG_20201217_191754

Katarzyna Slowikova

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
As a true gentleman would say Dec 17, 2020

Shove it.

I already find it extremely hard to find some sympathy in my heart for those who got caught in it, but those who will proceed with this project after this message deserve it. Sorry.

Elena Feriani
Vadim Kadyrov
Barbara Carrara
Mirko Mainardi
Aminjon Tursunov

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Three translation agencies contacted us for MTPE and HT projects, all the same requirements.

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »