Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Machine Translation Trends

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com virtual conferences » "Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Machine Translation Trends".
You can see the ProZ.com virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

xxxhollycric (X)
xxxhollycric (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:29
German to English
+ ...
Why do you have to get certified to use Trados? Sep 30, 2010

I'm a first year translator looking to expand. Would you recommend Trados? Is it worth the time and effort?

Thanks!!

Vicente Aguilar
Vicente Aguilar
Paraguay
Local time: 03:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translatio machine trend Sep 30, 2010

Is there anyway to get your ppt or pdf presentation to share and discuss with my students.

Tks

Tomasz Szemraj
Tomasz Szemraj
Local time: 08:29
English to Polish
+ ...
trados Sep 30, 2010

Hi, you can try TRADoS and MemoQ. Both are good, only work with different interfaces. Check their sites for trials. it is easy to pick up the basics.

Regards

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:29
German to English
+ ...
Trados - possibly. Sep 30, 2010

hollycrichton wrote:
I'm a first year translator looking to expand. Would you recommend Trados? Is it worth the time and effort?
Thanks!!

I've only used Trados for a few hours, 9 years ago, in an MSc course on technical translation. If you don't specifically need Trados, I suggest Wordfast Classic (assuming you have Microsoft Word). You can use it free for translation memories up to about 500 sentence pairs, and learn about translation memory in the process. If you then buy a licence, it's about half the price of Trados.
Oliver

Maureen Garelick
Maureen Garelick
Local time: 01:29
English to Abkhazian
MT forum Sep 30, 2010

This was the best session i attended all day! Thanks!

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
MT trends presentation Oct 1, 2010

vicenteaguilar wrote:

Is there anyway to get your ppt or pdf presentation to share and discuss with my students.

Tks

Hi, we didn't do a formal PPT presentation, but rather answer questions which came in prior to the conference and during the conference session, trying to answer them in a topical/thematic way as various questions were related.

Jeff

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
MT session Oct 1, 2010

Maureen Garelick wrote:

This was the best session i attended all day! Thanks!

Thanks Maureen, it is good to hear that this session seemed to be relevant to your needs and helped in your wanting to know more on the topic.

Jeff

Jeff Allen
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
answers about Trados and TM, and training certification Oct 1, 2010

hollycrichton wrote:
Thanks!!

Oliver Walter wrote:

I've only used Trados for a few hours, 9 years ago, in an MSc course on technical translation. If you don't specifically need Trados, I suggest Wordfast Classic (assuming you have Microsoft Word). You can use it free for translation memories up to about 500 sentence pairs, and learn about translation memory in the process. If you then buy a licence, it's about half the price of Trados.

Hi,
As Trados is one of the Translation memory (TM) CAT tools, a subtype of Machine Translation known as Example-based MT as I mentioned during the conference panel, it is probably better to look for the answer to this specific question in the TM/CAT tools support forum on ProZ where this type of question often comes up, and there are lots of answers from many different users of various TM CAT tools.

Holly, I would however like to comment on the title of your post: "Why do you have to get certified to use Trados?"

This is a phenomenon very common in the software industry. I have worked for many different software companies (not just translation-related software) which oftens various kinds of software programs and systems to help meet needs of people and business. And once a tool/software program becomes complicated to any extent (either in the tool itself and/or in its interaction with other tools via import/export), the tool vendor companies usually often training certification courses 1) to reduce the number of customer-incidents and potential false alert bug reports and enhancement requests (because support is a cost-expensive aspect of the product lifecycle and it is known that 75%-90% of incoming customer calls and incidents are related to "user-knowledge" and "user-handling" of the software and do not require the assistance of software developers), and 2) to ensure the knowledge transfer on many different configurable features which are not always intuitive and easy to use, and 3) to keep their software development teams focused on developing new features, finding and fixing real bugs, and not be bothered by user-knowledge and configuration questions which can be handled out in the user community, through training, and by customer support teams.
Certification is also a way to put into enterprise support contracts that the only types of users who will be supported for advanced questions, etc are those who have been trained and certified.

Jeff

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Machine Translation Trends

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »