Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Becoming An Interpreter

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com virtual conferences » "Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Becoming An Interpreter".
You can see the ProZ.com virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

pacolema
pacolema  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
How can a freelance translator specialized in Law and Social Sciences become an interpreter? Sep 28, 2010

Hi,

I´m a freelance translator specialized in Law and Social Sciences working in Spain.

In the the past I have done a few assignments as a consecutive translator, that I found quite challenging. The work was interesting but I realized there were many skills that I yet had to develop. Since then, I have completed a few courses on consecutive and simultaneous interpreting, and in the last year I did a few simultaneous interpreting assignments. I am now more confident and h
... See more
Hi,

I´m a freelance translator specialized in Law and Social Sciences working in Spain.

In the the past I have done a few assignments as a consecutive translator, that I found quite challenging. The work was interesting but I realized there were many skills that I yet had to develop. Since then, I have completed a few courses on consecutive and simultaneous interpreting, and in the last year I did a few simultaneous interpreting assignments. I am now more confident and have developed the skills needed for interpreting work. Besides, I find interpreting to be much more dynamic and satisfying than translation, and I see my future career more linked to the former than to the latter.

However, I find it hard to get clients and assignments for interpreting, as it seems to be a somewhat closed and difficult niche to get into. I would appreciate your comments or tips on how to find more clients and work in this field.

Thanks in advance,

Paco Lema
Collapse

Nadezhda Volkova
Nadezhda Volkova  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
English to Russian
+ ...
How to become a freelance interpreter? Sep 30, 2010

Hi!
I have the same questions like pacolema. I've also completed special courses on interpreting but I have a problem. I can't get even the first assignment. I just can't find clients. Where can I find them?

Coralia Polanco
Coralia Polanco  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Phone/video conferencing interpreting Sep 30, 2010

I found a few companies starting out with phone interpreting and or video conferencing. How profitable is this new trend? I worked as a medical and legal interpreter in Boston. At present I have relocated in Puerto Rico where interpreting is done only for the federal court.
Coralia

Richard Boulter
Richard Boulter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
What are the online training resources for telephone interpreters? Sep 30, 2010

I'm an experienced court and medical interpreter. I want to advance into the information age by adding telephone interpreting to my services, so what are some online training opportunities that I can access without investing in travel and lodgings?

Víctor Gonzales
Víctor Gonzales  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:51
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Hi, from Brazil Sep 30, 2010

Soy traductor experimentado y intérprete iniciante, por eso estoy muy interesado en conocer el mercado de la interpretación.

Anastasiya27
Anastasiya27
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:51
English to Latvian
+ ...
Telephone Interpreter's courses Sep 30, 2010

I have just started doing telephone interpreting and I feel it is essential to have a specific training to deliver a really qualitative service and to feel more confident when talking to both a limited English speaker and a client. I would be very grateful if somebody could give me some advice on internet and audio resources available.

IsaMedina
IsaMedina  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hola Victor de Brazil Sep 30, 2010

Igual que tú, tengo 25 años de experiencia como traductora pero sólo 2 años como intérprete. Mi primer paso fué investigar las asociaciones más importantes de intérpretes. En mi caso, fué el Colegio Mexicano de Intérpretes de Conferencias, A.C. (México, D.F.). Contacté a esta asociación y me entrevistaron, y me invitaron a su asamblea anual para integrarme, bajo su comisión de nuevos miembros. Fuí contactada por esta comisión y se me asignaron 2 mentores de amplia experiencia y �... See more
Igual que tú, tengo 25 años de experiencia como traductora pero sólo 2 años como intérprete. Mi primer paso fué investigar las asociaciones más importantes de intérpretes. En mi caso, fué el Colegio Mexicano de Intérpretes de Conferencias, A.C. (México, D.F.). Contacté a esta asociación y me entrevistaron, y me invitaron a su asamblea anual para integrarme, bajo su comisión de nuevos miembros. Fuí contactada por esta comisión y se me asignaron 2 mentores de amplia experiencia y ética profesional. Los dos han sido invaluables para mí, he trabajado en cabina junto con ellos sin goce de sueldo para aprender, pero no tienen el tiempo para enseñarme técnicas de la interpretación. Por lo tanto, sigo en busca de cursos que me ayuden a desarrollar mis habilidades natas para esto (me lo han dicho mis mentores). Ahorita interpreto podcasts y cosas que bajo de you tube y me grabo. También tengo unos libros como el de Nolan. Si quieres más información escríbeme y con gusto te digo cuáles son los libros que me recomendaron mis mentores. Espero esto te sirva! IsaCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual conference for freelancers session (2010): Becoming An Interpreter

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »