QA for inconsistency, mistranslation and spell check for Chinese, Korean and Japanese
Thread poster: Sachin Gaonkar
Sachin Gaonkar
Sachin Gaonkar
India
Local time: 17:38
English to Marathi
+ ...
Apr 3, 2018

Hi Guys,

Do you have any idea of any CAT tool or any other QA tool which provide QA facility like inconsistency, mistranslation and specifically SPELL CHECK for Character languages like Chinese, Korean and Japanese?

If so, can you please help me out with details please?

Thanks so much to all of you!

Regards,
Sachin
Localization Project Management

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
How would you even do that? Apr 3, 2018

Consistency check, yes. Most QA functions should be able to catch mismatches with the termbase.

But spell check? Don't see it, when the concept of spelling doesn't even exist in the language.

Sachin Gaonkar
Sachin Gaonkar
India
Local time: 17:38
English to Marathi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any other methods/ways for minimizing such mistakes Apr 18, 2018

Hi Lincoin,

Thanks so much for replying back to me and making me understand that there's no such spelling concept exists in the Chinese language where rather it relates to pictography.

For one of our client (basically from Video Gaming field), we are currently experiencing many issues related to punctuations, inconsistency, mistranslation and incorrect usage of characters in translations provided by the linguist.

Is there are any effective methods, ways or
... See more
Hi Lincoin,

Thanks so much for replying back to me and making me understand that there's no such spelling concept exists in the Chinese language where rather it relates to pictography.

For one of our client (basically from Video Gaming field), we are currently experiencing many issues related to punctuations, inconsistency, mistranslation and incorrect usage of characters in translations provided by the linguist.

Is there are any effective methods, ways or alternate solution with the help of any QA tools we can minimize such errors?

I would greatly appreciate any inputs/suggestions from you all on this, as I need to tackle this issue to make translation consistent and error free.

Thanks so much to you all!

Regards,
Sachin Gaonkar
Localization Project Management

[Edited at 2018-04-18 17:14 GMT]
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:08
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
No CAT tool is magical enough to make these errors go away Apr 18, 2018

gaonkar wrote:

I think most CAT tools can do something with the issue of inconsistency and no CAT tool can do anything about the issues related to punctuations, mistranslation and incorrect usage of characters.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:08
Chinese to English
+ ...
QA Apr 20, 2018

There are two ways you can mitigate this: Better translators, a decent editor, and a consistent style guide.

A competent editor would easily catch the fact that there are in fact three ways, but no automated system can.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA for inconsistency, mistranslation and spell check for Chinese, Korean and Japanese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »