Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Poll: I usually have something to eat or snack on nearby while working.
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:05
French to English
. Oct 28, 2020

Maria Silvestri wrote:

As often is the case, freelance translators as a whole generally tend to come off as a bunch of near perfect, totally disciplined type of person. I am not that at all!

To me, this work requires so much energy, I have to feed my brain while I'm working! I don't *always* snack, but I definitely do, at my computer. Commence pearl clutching, folks!

I've just finished my bar of chocolate that I promised myself as a reward for finishing my draft of a never-ending translation

Bruno Pavesi

Quentina Chan
Quentina Chan
Malaysia
Local time: 05:05
Member (2015)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I used to have something to eat on nearby but Oct 30, 2020

I found that it was really troublesome, I couldn't type probably with all my fingers because some of them were becoming oily and mess (when I was having potato chips). I tried to use chopsticks to eat but still, I don't like it, because the pieces or seasoning might drop on my table or the floor, so to keep my surroundings clean, I have decided not to eat, but I do have a cup of tea nearby.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:05
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Choc Oct 30, 2020

Kay Denney wrote:

Maria Silvestri wrote:

As often is the case, freelance translators as a whole generally tend to come off as a bunch of near perfect, totally disciplined type of person. I am not that at all!

To me, this work requires so much energy, I have to feed my brain while I'm working! I don't *always* snack, but I definitely do, at my computer. Commence pearl clutching, folks!

I've just finished my bar of chocolate that I promised myself as a reward for finishing my draft of a never-ending translation

I have 1 bar of chocolate every Sunday, and at no other time. It's the only way to keep my chocolate addiction under control. But I don't eat it while working because (as I've discovered to my chagrin) when I snap off a piece of chocolate the chocolate crumbs go on my keyboard.

Vera H.
Vera H.  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:05
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
I used to eat my desk, but Oct 31, 2020

I got tired of trying to get the crumbs out of my keyboard/laptop. I keep tea/ water nearby, but not next to my PC. I now use the opportunity to get up and stretch before getting a snack.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
BE WARNED Oct 31, 2020

"...it is likely that the trend to more and more sedentary lives will continue. Lower levels of physical activity are associated with lower daily energy requirements and will cause overweight and obesity unless food intake is adjusted accordingly. A typical fast food cheeseburger, chips, sugary drink, and dessert contains about 2200 kcal (9200 kJ),19 which at about 85 kcal per mile would require a person to complete a distance of about 26 miles (marathon) to expend the energy
... See more

"...it is likely that the trend to more and more sedentary lives will continue. Lower levels of physical activity are associated with lower daily energy requirements and will cause overweight and obesity unless food intake is adjusted accordingly. A typical fast food cheeseburger, chips, sugary drink, and dessert contains about 2200 kcal (9200 kJ),19 which at about 85 kcal per mile would require a person to complete a distance of about 26 miles (marathon) to expend the energy consumed."

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/38/3/360
Collapse

Bruno Pavesi
Bruno Pavesi  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:05
Member (2020)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oh boy Oct 31, 2020

I'm sort of addicted to chocolate, so I need to eat it at some point throughout any given day. That being said, I stick to chocolate bars and things that won't stick to me or my keyboard - or make a mess everywhere (looking at you, cookies).

But other than that I will have water or coffee nearby. Though lately I have been worried about slapping my coffee and killing my notebook. Plus I have kids, so that can always backfire terribly.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Misleading Nov 1, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
"...it is likely that the trend to more and more sedentary lives will continue. Lower levels of physical activity are associated with lower daily energy requirements and will cause overweight and obesity unless food intake is adjusted accordingly. A typical fast food cheeseburger, chips, sugary drink, and dessert contains about 2200 kcal (9200 kJ),19 which at about 85 kcal per mile would require a person to complete a distance of about 26 miles (marathon) to expend the energy consumed."

1. No way you’re going to run a marathon on 2,200 calories. Walk, maybe, if you’re slim and fit to start with.

2. Tom, you’ll burn more calories than that each day sat at your desk.

3. Excess calories don’t necessarily mean weight gain. Not all calories are equal. And lots of calories pass straight through us.

4. Your “fact” about donuts containing as many calories as a three-course meal is fake noos. At that rate, you’d need to eat six three-course meals a day to survive, even without exercise.

5. I’m an endurance cyclist. Yesterday I burned about 7,500 calories. Most days I burn 5,000. Sometimes I burn more than 10,000. I struggle to consume enough calories and do in fact eat six meals a day. It can get tedious. If only I could get all that from a bag of lovely custard donuts...

6. Diet Coke (zero calories) contributes more to weight gain than full-fat Coke.

7. The biggest baddies in fast food and donuts are trans fats, not calories.

8. Most fats are not bad for you. Low-fat products are.

9. The biggest reasons for mass obesity are government disinformation and corporate greed. Plausible conspiracy theory: The reason why governments are so keen to contain a virus that is no more lethal to the elderly than a bad flu is that it’s also taking out fat people, which is bad for business...

10. Moral of the story? Avoid fast food and diet products, cut right down on carbs and eat lots - LOTS - of veg.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Zibow Retailleau

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Chris - tedium Nov 1, 2020

That's the big killer, I've always found. I was eating small "good" meals six times a day too, and it's great until you get bored with the contents and the routine.

But I agree with all the above, of course. From what I know about you, you're definitely a reliable authority. Hopefully I can get back to perhaps four closely-monitored meals a day soon. Your body (and your stools) tells you when you're doing it right, your body feels it, and it just groans and flops around when you ar
... See more
That's the big killer, I've always found. I was eating small "good" meals six times a day too, and it's great until you get bored with the contents and the routine.

But I agree with all the above, of course. From what I know about you, you're definitely a reliable authority. Hopefully I can get back to perhaps four closely-monitored meals a day soon. Your body (and your stools) tells you when you're doing it right, your body feels it, and it just groans and flops around when you aren't.
Collapse

P.L.F. Persio
Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree with Point 10. Nov 1, 2020

Chris S wrote:
10. Moral of the story? Avoid fast food and diet products, cut right down on carbs and eat lots - LOTS - of veg.

I agree with Point 10. Not sure about the others. Everybody has a different opinion about diet and weight loss, and everybody thinks theirs is the correct one. All I can say is: I know what works for me.

I never eat fast food. Everything I eat is cooked by me.
I never buy "diet" things.
I have seriously reduced my intake of carbohydrates (pasta, rice, bread, etc.) but cannot completely eliminate them. We do need some carbs.
I eat LOTS of vegetables every day, either in their virgin form or as soups etc.
I hereby award myself a Diet Star of Merit.

I agree that cycling is a great way to lose weight and keep fit but in London that is not a very feasible activity. I cycle a lot in the summer, along the canals early in the morning when there's nobody about. Canals are good because they are horizontal. I can get up a good rhythm and maintain it for 1-2 hours. And it's beautiful. Lots of aquatic birds and watery scenes.

PhilPickinCanals

[Edited at 2020-11-01 09:52 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Matthias Brombach
P.L.F. Persio
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nice one, Tom Nov 1, 2020

Tom in London wrote:
I never eat fast food. Everything I eat is cooked by me.
I never buy "diet" things.
I have seriously reduced my intake of carbohydrates (pasta, rice, bread, etc.) but cannot completely eliminate them. We do need some carbs.
I eat LOTS of vegetables every day, either in their virgin form or as soups etc.
I hereby award myself a Diet Star of Merit.

Nice one. I second that Star of Merit!

For the distinction, make sure you keep your blood sugar level, do some weight training and HIIT workouts, and consider intermittent fasting, says my nutritionist wife who helps people lose weight for a living.

Her living, not theirs.

Oh, and cut down on those spliffs.

P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You know what comes now: Nov 1, 2020

The best diet to keep your keyboard clean and to provide yourself with plenty of water and a good portion of proteins and other essential nutrients at work would be the good old German Erbswurst (pea sausage, to prepare pea soup):

1280px-Erbswurst-1

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbswurst

Just cut off a slice in the morning and in the afternoon and swallow it with a liter of warm water. The soup will be prepared instantly inside, where it belongs to. No cutlery and plates needed = no washing-up. I said "would be", because it is no longer been produced. Alternatively, take pemmican.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-01 10:21 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Tom in London
P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
ah yes Nov 1, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Just cut off a slice

Yes, I do find that a slice of foam rubber makes me feel full and has good insulation properties. But squeezing it out the back afterwards is quite an effort.

[Edited at 2020-11-01 10:40 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No more spliffs Nov 1, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Oh, and cut down on those spliffs.

I gave up smoking tobacco (and all other weeds) in Bologna some time around 1989. Conquering nicotine addiction was the hardest thing I've ever done (weed is not additive and giving it up was not a problem, but tobacco is seriously addictive - as you discover when you try to stop).

Cutting down on addiction to food is a similar experience. You feel the urge to eat something, and you fight the urge by *not eating anything*. Feeling slightly hungry is part of the weight-loss experience. If you feel hungry it means your body is eating the fat that's already on you.

I've just finished eating my weekly bar of chocolate. By the time I've finished it I feel fairly disgusted with chocolate and ask myself "why did I do this?".

300x300

No more until next Sunday. I get through the week knowing that I am allowed this. It's like a junky who gets a weekly fix. You hate yourself but you gotta have it.

[Edited at 2020-11-01 10:51 GMT]

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Chocolate Nov 1, 2020

Bruno Pavesi wrote:

I'm sort of addicted to chocolate, so I need to eat it at some point throughout any given day.

Like you, I'm addicted to chocolate but I've trained myself not to eat it during the day but reserve it as dessert with my last meal, whatever time that will be but I do not eat terribly late. I wish I could cut it ore but never manage. My body seems to crave it and it is not just chocolate bars but chocolate cakes and pastries (think Sacher Torte). When I used to eat out before Covid, I always chose something chocolate to end the meal. Now, imagine since Christmas goodies are out in the shops - Baci, Ferrero especially - I would have a field day so I try to limit my intake so as not to eat the whole packet.

P.L.F. Persio

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Allow Nov 1, 2020

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Bruno Pavesi wrote:

I'm sort of addicted to chocolate, so I need to eat it at some point throughout any given day.

Like you, I'm addicted to chocolate but I've trained myself not to eat it during the day but reserve it as dessert with my last meal, whatever time that will be but I do not eat terribly late. I wish I could cut it ore but never manage. My body seems to crave it and it is not just chocolate bars but chocolate cakes and pastries (think Sacher Torte). When I used to eat out before Covid, I always chose something chocolate to end the meal. Now, imagine since Christmas goodies are out in the shops - Baci, Ferrero especially - I would have a field day so I try to limit my intake so as not to eat the whole packet.

Allow yourself ONE CHOCOLATE ITEM per week.

P.L.F. Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: I usually have something to eat or snack on nearby while working.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »