Portugal
Local time: 19:15
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Since... Oct 24, 2020

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

working is "fun"?

you receive a job (media/tv field) and you come across with an unexpected joke like the following one:

"What does the toast say to his partner while they were doing sixty-nine?
- Babe, I’m gonna crumb!"

I'm sorry for the content of my post, everyone, but I couldn't help it.
This is what I consider "fun": the expression itself and the challenge to translate it while keeping the same humour and creativity in the target language.
I found this very appropriate and timely for this thread. A happy coincidence!

Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
María C Turri
Mr. Satan (X)

Katarzyna Skroban
Katarzyna Skroban
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:15
English to Polish
+ ...
Interesting poll Oct 25, 2020

I think this is an interesting poll. Do the results show that the majority of our work is fun, perhaps more so than other jobs? I don't think so. I think the results show that translators love their job, whatever the project on-hand is. And that they have fantastic attitude towards it, being deeply motivated and excited about it.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:15
English to French
+ ...
Most of the time Oct 26, 2020

Subtitling for entertainment always brings tons of fun. It's so varied that I'm always learning new things (lately I've been doing a LOT of research for an interior design show) and it's always challenging in lots of ways, which keeps it fresh. Personal favorite are comedy shows, they're both a living hell because of the play on words and super fun to do... because of the play on words.

Jean Dimitriadis
Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

María C Turri
María C Turri  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:15
Member (2019)
English to Spanish
from my experience areas Oct 26, 2020

I think it's really important to translate what you know. Or else, you will "suffer" whatever job lands on you. It has happened to me that, after some free weeks, I take a job I do not like, just because one has to eat and it ends up being complete torture. So, cancer medication trials can be quite "fun" for me, not in the "haha" sense, but something I really enjoy translating.

Mr. Satan (X)
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: The last job I had that I would consider "fun" is/was:

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »