Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have a side business outside of language work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Priscilla Silva (X)
Priscilla Silva (X)
Brazil
Local time: 04:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I used to work, but not anymore Aug 29, 2020

Good night for all!

I used to work as a telemarketing operator before, but when I've entered college (2016) that I only do language work.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Aug 31, 2020

For a while I took a keep interest in landscape design and trained for 7 years, earning a certificate that qualified me to work with clients. However, after my license to AutoCAD expired, I found it difficult to continue, as it is impossible for a freelancer to justify the high cost of the necessary software.

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 09:42
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It depends ... Sep 2, 2020

.. I have a lot of books like most of us, and I sell some of them 2nd hand. But does that count as a ral business? I don't think so.

Here is a list:
https://www.2dehands.be/u/peter-motte/27532760/

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 08:42
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Since 1997, I have been in the MOB Sep 10, 2020

(My Only Business): translation
Jokes aside, I have no extra activity other than translation, but lately I have been interested in learning to play guitar as a hobby.

[Edited at 2020-09-10 16:34 GMT]

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:42
French to English
. Sep 11, 2020

I teach a translation course one day a week, although I suppose that still counts as "language work"?

I also rent a couple of rooms out to students, but it's not a huge source of income, they're the offspring of friends, or friends of friends, so I don't charge very much. I do it more to help out and have a bit more life in the house, because otherwise I get too lonely working from home with only the animals to talk to.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a side business outside of language work?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »