Poll: On average, how many exchanges do you have with a client before beginning work on a job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 8, 2019

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "On average, how many exchanges do you have with a client before beginning work on a job?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Dec 8, 2019

It depends whether it’s a regular customer or a new client. In the first case, two or three exchanges ‒ the first one saying that I’m available, the second one delivering the translation and the third one sending the invoice at the end of the month. In the second case, there will be at least one more exchange with my quote containing all the essential data (customer name, contact name, date, file name of document(s) to be translated, language combination, format, number of words, rate per ... See more
It depends whether it’s a regular customer or a new client. In the first case, two or three exchanges ‒ the first one saying that I’m available, the second one delivering the translation and the third one sending the invoice at the end of the month. In the second case, there will be at least one more exchange with my quote containing all the essential data (customer name, contact name, date, file name of document(s) to be translated, language combination, format, number of words, rate per word, total price, delivery date, payment terms) which I ask the customer to email it back to me after signing it. With some international organizations when dealing with big projects the exchanges might take months…

I avoid automated agency portals and their evil on-line invoicing systems like the plague (fortunately none of my regulars went the portal-route): I don’t want an agency to tell me how much work I have done for them within a given period, what, how and when to charge for it…

[Edited at 2019-12-08 12:04 GMT]
Collapse

Bahare Shaker
Gibril Koroma

Keijo Sarv
Keijo Sarv  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 22:33
English to Estonian
depends Dec 8, 2019

This depends on client.
For many clients, there are zero person-to-person exchanges, because job offers, accepting and delivering all go through automatic portals.
For others, there is usually 2 or 3 exchanges before beginning: a) task offer and accepting, b) receiving work files, and possibly c) PO confirmation.

Kaisa I
Robert Rietvelt

Kaisa I
Kaisa I  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:33
English to Finnish
+ ...
One Dec 8, 2019

two or three exchanges ‒ the first one saying that I’m available, the second one delivering the translation and the third one sending the invoice at the end of the month.

So, one exchange before beginning work on a job. Same here.

I don’t want an agency to tell me how much work I have done for them within a given period, what, how and when to charge for it...

I keep a tracker every month, so it's understandable that the client keeps one as well. Automation only makes the invoicing faster. If there are discrepancies, I let them know what's missing, and they investigate and add it.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
French to English
2-4 Dec 8, 2019

Usually negotiating the deadline.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:33
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Exchanges? Dec 9, 2019

I usually "exchange" two or three messages with a client before the first job.
The first one is usually their e-mail, found me in ProZ, proposing a job and asking for additional information, CV, etc.
The second one is a reply to my reply, where I ask a few questions myself.
So, the third one is usually the "here is the document/first job" one.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
2-4 Dec 9, 2019

If the fee is acceptable, which might require some negotiation, I will still need to see the source document if they haven't attached it to the initial request. I never accept a job without having a look at the characteristics of the text: condition (PDFs in small print, OCRs that break up the context, etc.), nature of the text, writing style, etc. Then there's the deadline. I often find that proposed deadlines can be extended.

A new PM for one of my oldest clients has a habit of s
... See more
If the fee is acceptable, which might require some negotiation, I will still need to see the source document if they haven't attached it to the initial request. I never accept a job without having a look at the characteristics of the text: condition (PDFs in small print, OCRs that break up the context, etc.), nature of the text, writing style, etc. Then there's the deadline. I often find that proposed deadlines can be extended.

A new PM for one of my oldest clients has a habit of simply writing "Are you available to do a translation?" While my rate is established by contract, I'm not always willing to accept every translation that comes in over the transom.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It varies Dec 9, 2019

ProZ.com Staff wrote:
On average, how many exchanges do you have with a client before beginning work on a job?

I think we need to distinguish between a client with whom you have an established relationship and a client that is reaching out to you for the first time. When a client is new, there may be many e-mails back and forth before the conversation turns to the actual job. And some clients send regular work without any further, "unnecessary" communication. Some clients want to assume that you accept the job unless you explicitly reject it (or unless your out-of-office reply explicitly states that you're not available), although in many cases you still need to confirm the job, just to let the client know that you're there.

Teresa Borges wrote:
I avoid automated agency portals and their evil on-line invoicing systems like the plague.

I use a program called CherryTree, an article manager, to create notes (called "nodes") for every client and how to use their online systems. It's frustrating to have to figure out how an online system works every time you work with it, but if you know how to use a system because you wrote a little how-to for yourself previously, it saves a lot of time and frustration. I use one node per client. The nodes also contain invoicing information, e.g. their invoicing preferences, their contact details, and their e-mail domain (so that I can quickly find a client by searching through all nodes for their e-mail domain), and the usernames and passwords for these online systems. You can also password-protect the database.

[Edited at 2019-12-09 10:13 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:33
German to English
+ ...
Two, mostly, with regular clients, but depends Dec 9, 2019

The first is to answer whether I'm available, what my fee is, and by when it can be done. They will say to go ahead, and I acknowledge. That's two sets.

Sometimes a regular client will ask for a quote, and their end client decides a month later they want it done. Then I'm asked if I'm still available etc.

A client may want to find out about translation in general: I may need to know more things which they have to find out - then it's more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: On average, how many exchanges do you have with a client before beginning work on a job?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »