Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is the reason Indian companies and translation agencies are the worst potential payers?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 12:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
There are exceptions Apr 1, 2020

My only experience is with an Indian agency back in 2006. It was about 2500 Euro and they paid promptly straight to my account. Since then they sometimes came back to me but had not the right kind of jobs. But if they had I would certainly give it a try again.

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 11:42
ProZ.com team
Changing the lens Apr 1, 2020

Michael Newton wrote:

Indian agencies are avaricious in their gobbling up of certain sectors of the world translation market (pharmaceuticals/patents). They underbid western agencies scandalously and the end clients fall for it. The victims are the translators who agree to work for
USD 0.01/word and then hope and pray they get reimbursed at some point during their life. I can't account for the glowing reviews from first-world countries, they must be desperate or mentally disturbed. .

I personally have never worked with an Indian agency, but I did spend 7 years living next door in Bangladesh, with frequent visits for work to India, in a former career.

So while I get the frustration of people who have been lowballed in specific circumstances, I'm not quite sure I understand the "avaricious" bit? You mean they are greedy about sectors of the market that only we are entitled to be greedy about?

Or that they somehow have no right to a share of the First-World pie? People in India have families to feed too.

As many other commentators have said here, it's up to us to walk into every transaction with our eyes open, and to be informed enough about globalisation to be unsurprised by economic realities. And to deliver service and quality that meets the needs of our clients here in the affluent West, without having to compete at the bottom of the food chain.

Korana Lasić
Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Ricardo Sandy Aries
Ricardo Sandy Aries  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:42
English to Indonesian
+ ...
A Careful Approach Is Essential Apr 1, 2020

Concerning Indian agencies, I think you should approach them carefully. Never say anything that may be categorized as discriminatory when dealing with them. If they conduct their business properly, you may establish long-term cooperation with them. If not, it is recommended to make no contact with them in the future. It is as simple as that. Please separate bad apples from good ones in the same basket.

[Edited at 2020-04-01 09:47 GMT]

Andrew Morris
Sheila Wilson
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:42
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I don't know Apr 22, 2020

I don't know, but thank you for letting us know. I avoided them anyway.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the reason Indian companies and translation agencies are the worst potential payers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »